United Airlines Lithium Battery policy?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it rather off putting to come across a "bargain fare" and then find there are lots of restrictions. I can manage to travel the world with just a cabin size bag, but just "one small personal item" is a bit of a mean allowance to fly across the Atlantic with.  

I guess they don't want "steerage" low price passengers to sneak on before those who paid a higher price, so a bright colour boarding pass stands out for gate staff.

Railiner makes the point that I was thinking, no shame for me in saving cash!

Ed.

Delta notes the basic economy ticket next to the seat assignment on the boarding pass. Other than that, I didn't notice any major differences in the boarding pass (and nothing of note, that I recall.) That said, I do have the Delta Amex, which gives zone 1 boarding even on basic economy and a free checked bag, so it's possible that overrode any glaring changes on the boarding pass.

I think someone wise enough to pay the lowest fare, should consider that a 'badge of pride', not 'shame'.....
Flying over an ocean in a middle seat with child sized legroom and luggage doesn't flatter my ego.  Let's see how see how shiny that badge of honor looks when you disembark from a transpacific or transatlantic flight.

I find it rather off putting to come across a "bargain fare" and then find there are lots of restrictions. I can manage to travel the world with just a cabin size bag, but just "one small personal item" is a bit of a mean allowance to fly across the Atlantic with.  I guess they don't want "steerage" low price passengers to sneak on before those who paid a higher price, so a bright colour boarding pass stands out for gate staff.Railiner makes the point that I was thinking, no shame for me in saving cash! Ed.
If you don't feel any shame in saving money then why does it put you off to discover your fare is cheaper because it doesn't come with anything other than the seat?  These fares are the result of legacy airlines trying to compete with the new generation of bargain basement LCC's.  You can still buy the exact same coach experience as before at roughly the same (inflation adjusted) price if you so choose.  Also, if you purchase and pack carefully you can stow a surprising amount under the seat in front of you (see my link earlier in this thread).

I think someone wise enough to pay the lowest fare, should consider that a 'badge of pride', not 'shame'.....
If you got enough discipline to follow the rules to the letter than yes its a badge of pride I guess. But based on United's last financial report, more and more people are paying up for ancillary so the question is, what was the TOTAL price one paid in the end after you add in all of the fees and stuff. From my own experience at the airport, I've seen many Group 5 people forced to check their bags and pay for it because its not a personal item. Generally, there is no gate check waiver for Group 5 passengers so you'r going to be forced to pay for anything that does not conform to United's policy of "personal item."

So now, its a choice between having saved $10 dollars and paid $30 dollars to check your bag or you paid the $10 dollars and gate checked you bag for free or got it into the overhead bin. Personally, I think I got a better deal by paying the $10 extra dollars which also comes with the ability to select your own seat. Just because you saved $10 dollars up front does NOT always make it a good deal in the end after every dime has been added up.

If you don't feel any shame in saving money then why does it put you off to discover your fare is cheaper because it doesn't come with anything other than the seat? 
I understand your view exactly, it just seems the "what you can bring aboard cut off points" for the cheapest seats are getting silly for long distance flights.

As with everything, one pays one's money and makes one's choices.  :D

I have a budget flight to Spain in the morning, only cabin baggage again, so I will pack with care!

Ed.

Back