United Flight 328 DEN-HNL 777 Feb 20, 2021 UEF ✈

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Devil's Advocate

Conductor
An uncontained engine failure on United Flight 328 left debris and dramatic images in its wake.

“A Boeing 777-200 operated by United Airlines returned to Denver International Airport and landed safety Saturday after experiencing a right-engine failure shortly after takeoff,” the FAA said in a statement. “The FAA is aware of reports of debris in the vicinity of the airplane’s flight path. The passengers deplaned on Runway 26-Right and were bused to the terminal.” – FAA

Last edited:

SarahZ

Conductor
Thank goodness no one was hurt. Hopefully, the homes that were damaged weren't damaged TOO badly.

Cal

Conductor
Oh my! Poor 777...

It would be cool to see that in your yard though, as long as no damage was caused

Bob Dylan

Conductor
An uncontained engine failure on United Flight 328 left debris and dramatic images in its wake.

“A Boeing 777-200 operated by United Airlines returned to Denver International Airport and landed safety Saturday after experiencing a right-engine failure shortly after takeoff,” the FAA said in a statement. “The FAA is aware of reports of debris in the vicinity of the airplane’s flight path. The passengers deplaned on Runway 26-Right and were bused to the terminal.” – FAA

Wow, it happens rarely but when it does it can be really hazardous.

railiner

Conductor
Just read that story...lucky thing no one was hurt in the air and on the ground...
I noticed one minor error in the tv story, they described Broomfield as being East of the airport. It is actually west...

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Just read that story...lucky thing no one was hurt in the air and on the ground...
I noticed one minor error in the tv story, they described Broomfield as being East of the airport. It is actually west...
Yeah, east of the airport it is mostly Corn and Wheat field, not Broomfield. :)

This is one of the very early 777s, as early as within the first 10 off the production line as I recall. United was a launch customer of the 777. I have flown in that aircraft many moons ago soon after it was inducted into service, on a UA 906 LHR-EWR flight as I seem to recall. This would be back in the '90s. UA 906/907 was my usual flight from/to London, which I traveled to quite often on work back then.

The engine that blew up is a Pratt and Whitney engine.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
An early SWAG would be that it was an uncontained fan component failure. Climb out is the time when all of that is under greatest stress too. The question then would be why it turned out to be so very uncontained.

jis

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I liked how the passenger kept on videoing so calmly. Very fortunate the piece of engine housing landed on that person's porch, rather than their roof.
So far there are five houses that are known to have sustained damage to their roof (holes in them) due to debris landing on them, none of them large enough to cause any structural damage fortunately.

Dakota 400

Conductor
An early SWAG would be that it was an uncontained fan component failure. Climb out is the time when all of that is under greatest stress too. The question then would be why it turned out to be so very uncontained.
There were two aviation experts on CCN and NBC last evening that speculated that was the cause and, if so, why it was not contained. One of the gentlemen suggested a bird strike could also be a culprit.

Whoever owns property #1372 is a fortunate person to have that front part of the engine land where it did.

MARC Rider

Conductor
An altitude of 10 feet? How are you going to do that, with a new "hovercraft" train? 🤣
If they kept the Empire Builder to an altitude of 10 feet, it would be running in a subway tunnel for nearly the whole distance, plus, they'd have to build a new underground station, well below the water table, in Chicago. :)

jiml

Conductor
AU Supporter
Those with GE engines are also still flying...AA uses those...
Yes, I'd been looking for confirmation of that. The first article I read only referred to the RR models, and as you know some G.E. engines (A-380 for example) are co-produced with Pratt & Whitney, so I didn't want to assume.

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
From what was mentioned on the news, it appears the greatest majority of 777 are not using this engine. Many of the earlier 777 are indeed RR Trent or GE powered, later on it became all GE engines. I believe that AA has a bunch of the 200 variants that are RR. Longer range and newer are all GE.

Last edited: