United the same as Continental?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal-tex

Train Attendant
Formerly, you were able to trade Continental miles one-for-one for AGR points. Now that Continental has been absorbed by United, can these miles be traded in the same way?

Formerly, you were able to trade Continental miles one-for-one for AGR points. Now that Continental has been absorbed by United, can these miles be traded in the same way?
Unfortunately that option came to an end as part of the merger process. I believe there is still some sort of reciprocal status arrangement for lounge access and you can still earn AGR points for codeshare itineraries on UA metal, but that's about the extent of it to my knowledge.

Unfortunately that option came to an end as part of the merger process. I believe there is still some sort of reciprocal status arrangement for lounge access and you can still earn AGR points for codeshare itineraries on UA metal, but that's about the extent of it to my knowledge.
That is correct. If an United itinerary includes an Amtrak codeshare segment then the entire itinerary can earn AGR points for all legs that are on United metal. The codeshare relationship between United and Amtrak is a one way affair in the sense that some Amtrak trains have United flight numbers but no United flight has Amtrak train numbers.

It is definitely true that Amtrak Select+ members have access to United Clubs but it is not quite clear to me what reciprocal rights United Club members have. I know they have access to Club Acelas having verified that by experimentation, but I don't know for sure if they have access to other Amtrak Lounges. It is possible that they do but the Amtrak Lounge staff are not aware of it too. Afterall it took them a few years to figure out that Amtrak Select+ folks have access too. :)

The bottom line though is that the facility to freely convert AGR point to OP miles never made it to the new joint MP program at United.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been said, after the merger, CO and UA miles were combined into one account, and those UA miles could have been transferred to AGR at 1:1. but that option expired in 12/31/11!
sad.gif

Thanks for the info. I was afraid that was the case, but didn't know how to find out for sure!

Knew I could get the answer here!

Back