Unruly Passenger Data

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had a flight delayed by 2 hours at LAX due to an unruly passenger incident. It was the start of the day and so created a snowball effect - literally hundreds of passengers were impacted and, according to our flight attendant, there were 69 missed connections on our flight alone. I mentioned this on social media and was challenged by someone (of course) who said the unruly passenger problem wasn't that bad. I looked up the FAA data - 2021 was the worst year on record (mask mandate and all) - 2022 is looking much better but still worse than pre-covid. I started looking for similar data on Amtrak but couldn't find much. Is there a record of how many passengers were removed from Amtrak? And the reasons why? Maybe my googling skills are just poor.

Last edited:
Amtrak (especially in recent years) is pretty notorious for being tight-lipped on passenger data. The latest general ridership figures came from the FRA, not Amtrak (yes I'm sure Amtrak was involved), California sued (or threatened to) to get passenger figures for their services.

Your best bet would be to file an FOIA request with Amtrak to get the figures.

peter

Although I have never seen any record of how many people were removed from Amtrak it is almost inconceivable that such a list would not be compiled for internal monitoring, legal requirements, and lobbying purposes. I would agree with PerRock that an FOIA request filed with Amtrak is your best bet. If you filed an FOIA request with the FRA you might be able to get numbers for other passenger rail operators in addition to Amtrak but with fewer incident details.

Although I have never seen any record of how many people were removed from Amtrak it is almost inconceivable that such a list would not be compiled for internal monitoring, legal requirements, and lobbying purposes. I would agree with PerRock that an FOIA request filed with Amtrak is your best bet. If you filed an FOIA request with the FRA you might be able to get numbers for other passenger rail operators in addition to Amtrak but with fewer incident details.
One thing that needs to be considered is that the Agency can bill a requestor for the time and expenses involved in making FOIA requests. AT EPA, we would generally only do this to deep-pocketed requestors, such as large corporations or lawyers representing large corporations. Does anyone know how Amtrak handles this?

One thing that needs to be considered is that the Agency can bill a requestor for the time and expenses involved in making FOIA requests. AT EPA, we would generally only do this to deep-pocketed requestors, such as large corporations or lawyers representing large corporations. Does anyone know how Amtrak handles this?
I once wrote up a document taking notes on how to file an FOIA request for best success at a reasonable cost but it seems to be as much an art as a science.

Back