Unusual fare problem

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bretton88

Conductor
So, I'm looking at taking an overnight trip to Gallup, NM and returning the next day to ABQ. This would be a mid august trip (week of 14-20). But Amtrak won't let me book it, no matter what days I choose. They say that the train is sold out! I can't believe the train is sold out all week. I notice that if i try it in march, it will let me do it. Does Amtrak see how full the train is before releasing tickets for short distances like this?

Yeah, that seems pretty strange. It will only allow a bedroom purchase on the outbound but for the inbound coach seats do seem to be available.

So, I'm looking at taking an overnight trip to Gallup, NM and returning the next day to ABQ. This would be a mid august trip (week of 14-20). But Amtrak won't let me book it, no matter what days I choose. They say that the train is sold out! I can't believe the train is sold out all week. I notice that if i try it in march, it will let me do it. Does Amtrak see how full the train is before releasing tickets for short distances like this?
What makes it more perplexing is that if you go to Amtrak's website, you can book ABQ-LAX but NOT ABQ-GLP. This would lend

some credibility to the theory that Amtrak is blocking out short-distance seats. Because obviously the train is not sold out, if you

can buy ABQ-LAX on the same date.

The only other explanation I can think of is that the SWC chief is being re-routed away from GLP for a period of time this summer,

but I've seen no indication of that.

What makes it more perplexing is that if you go to Amtrak's website, you can book ABQ-LAX but NOT ABQ-GLP. This would lend

some credibility to the theory that Amtrak is blocking out short-distance seats. Because obviously the train is not sold out, if you

can buy ABQ-LAX on the same date.

The only other explanation I can think of is that the SWC chief is being re-routed away from GLP for a period of time this summer,

but I've seen no indication of that.
I thought of that, but that's the BNSF mainline, where would you even re-route the train to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back