Unusual Fare System on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday we were able to book our trip on the Empire builder to East Glacier. We have been following the fares since January and its seemed that they were stuck at high bucket for quite a while, which is outside our budget. Bedroom fares on trains from CHI to GPK 7 and 8 were holding high and still are. On some days the fares are $2067 one way but when we went to check fares I noticed that there was an option to book trains 27 and 28 at a remarkably lower fare of $762 each way so we took that. Now it is assumed that trains 27/7 and 28/8 are the same trains so why the difference in price?

Not sure, but I would guess the option to select Train’s 7&8 appear first, so they are selected first, and consequently go into higher buckets first...

Perhaps the software should be rewritten so that the lowest fares from Chicago until the split at Spokane are automatically assigned, to even out the bookings?

How far in advance do you book?

Amtrak was playing around with the buckets. At 11 to 5 months before your travel date the ticket was at full bucket price. Then the price dropped to demand buckets into the train departs.

Some routes have had this occur.

I'm booked on the EB in August. Same thing, fares on 27 and 28 were much lower.

My experience with this was booking a Roomette Chicago to St. Paul with points, and it was about half as much on train 27.

As for all fares starting out at high bucket, my Roomette booking on my return from the Gathering (seven months out) is at low bucket. Bedrooms for the month are priced at buckets two and four (out of five).

The usual reason - supply & demand
That is a good formula to go by and it makes perfect sense but if the fares of the 27/28 are about 1/3 of those in 7/8 then why do not travelers buy these first? My theory is that Amtrak sells the 7/8 rooms first and then releases the 27/28 rooms as demand dictates. Going to Glacier in the summer months may be causing the high demand and high fares. Our trip is in early August and fits right in the summer high demand window but we are still following the fares and under the temporary new rule any bookings done prior to April 21st can be rebooked at the lower fare and changed without penalty.

if the fares of the 27/28 are about 1/3 of those in 7/8 then why do not travelers buy these first

Because they're going to or from somewhere between Seattle and Spokane?

My theory is that Amtrak sells the 7/8 rooms first and then releases the 27/28 rooms as demand dictates

Your theory is wrong.

I just got an email to tell me they have changed my Empire Builder 8 car and dumped me in a downstairs Roomette next to the stairs. Not happy :-(
They're probably dropping a car, yours, and moving you to the other sleeper. Be happy you can still travel on it.

I just got an email to tell me they have changed my Empire Builder 8 car and dumped me in a downstairs Roomette next to the stairs. Not happy :-(

I wouldn't say they "dumped" you. The downstairs roomettes are just fine. Be happy they're still running as of now.

I wouldn't say they "dumped" you. The downstairs roomettes are just fine. Be happy they're still running as of now.
This trip is the one-in-a-lifetime so I am really disappointed to be on the lower deck next to the stairs so subject to all the comings and goings to the toilets. Anyway it's all up in the air because if my flights from the UK are cancelled I won't be going anyway. Very disappointing :-(

This trip is the one-in-a-lifetime so I am really disappointed to be on the lower deck next to the stairs so subject to all the comings and goings to the toilets. Anyway it's all up in the air because if my flights from the UK are cancelled I won't be going anyway. Very disappointing :-(
When is this trip?

And one tiny advantage of the lower roomettes is that you can wash your own outside window. Bring some windex!
In addition to the window of the Roomette you occupy, you also have the ability to clean both sides of the windows in the lower level entry doors when the train is in a station. The entry door opposite the passenger platform will not be opened, but ask the sleeping car attendants permission to open just the window for easy access to clean its outside surface.

With clean windows on both sides of the train you'll have the clearest photos of whatever is on either side of the train. But be prepared for some really serious cleaning - the exterior surfaces of train windows will get extraordinarily filthy - and very quickly too!

20 May - the very helpful agent said I should keep calling to see if they have a cancellation from the upper deck. BTW - when I rang I was routed to Julie and chose the "something else" option.
UK Gov advice against all none essential travel globally is not going to be lifted before the 20th May unfortunately. Given if you travel against this advice your travel insurance will be null and void and the high price of medical care in the US I personally wouldnt travel against this advice.

Back