UP Big Boy Restoration

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I need to read more magazines! I don't even know this stuff now! Do you know why they do this?
It's mainly for newsstand purposes -- so that people don't think the magazine is "old news" because the cover date is in the past, which could lead to either customers choosing not to buy the magazine, or newsstand operators/magazine distributors taking it off the stand prematurely.

I guess I need to read more magazines! I don't even know this stuff now! Do you know why they do this?
It's mainly for newsstand purposes -- so that people don't think the magazine is "old news" because the cover date is in the past, which could lead to either customers choosing not to buy the magazine, or newsstand operators/magazine distributors taking it off the stand prematurely.
Makes sense but I sure don't like it.

Same with many other things.

The 2013 fashion was alraedy out in the last quarter of 2012, and will probbaly no longer be on the shelves in the final days of 2013.

Just confusing marketing. But apparently it works.

Today's TRAINS News Wire carried a blurb about the potential Big Boy restoration, but it had essentially nothing new to report. Talks continue among U.P., the SoCal chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society, and an unnamed third party.

"Sources close to the matter indicate that Ed Dickens, who heads Union Pacific’s steam program, was back in Southern California recently to confer with some, but not all, of the board members of the chapter regarding the restoration of the locomotive. The sources indicate that discussions are continuing and moving forward."

And that's about it, except for noting some of the other engines in the Society's collection out at the L.A. County Fairplex fairgrounds in Pomona:

"The chapter maintains an extensive railroad exhibit at the Los Angeles County Fairplex that includes UP 4-12-2 No. 9000, the only survivor of its type; Santa Fe 4-6-4 No. 3450; and Southern Pacific 4-10-2 No. 5021, also the only survivor of its type. The display includes several smaller steam locomotives, UP DD40X 'Centennial' diesel No. 6915, rolling stock, and the Santa Fe depot from nearby Arcadia."

It's a pretty cool collection - a Climax geared steam locomotive there, too - and I'd recommend a visit to anybody - local or otherwise - who might wanna hop on a Metrolink train to be dropped off at the County Fair's doorstep during this year's run between August 30 and September 29. Aside from that the Chapter has open houses one weekend per month.

Team Whooz has had its plans to visit 4014 (EDIT: It would be a second visit. 4014 pics in this thread were shot during the fair in 2011.) foiled by a combination of poor atmospheric conditions and the sorry fact that Executive Director WhoozOn1st is a typically spoiled Southern California weather weasel who generally refuses to venture outdoors in temperatures under 60 degrees Fahrenheit. And even the 60s are iffy.

023-L.jpg
Head-on view of Big Boy 4014 at Pomona, California.​

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the issues was moving the locomotive since it can't fit on today's tight curves so they are also looking for one that's the easiest to get to the shop.
Curves are not being built any tighter now than in the past. What must be recognized is that for every section of line that woud be a list of equipment that could be and could not be operated on it. Likewise, for any given equipment there would be restrictions on where it could go.
There were certain things as slight widening of track gauge for long wheelbase steamers that is no longer done as it is not necessary.

St Louis Missouri also has a Big Boy. And a group of people have been trying to fully restore that big boy as well as the dd40 that are sitting in the yard.

what is going on with the challenger is that they are doing a complete overhaul of the engine, which is required for steam engines every so many years, and since the challenger is so big the complete over haul of the engine will take 2+ years even with todays technology

I believe it's less a matter of an era's technology than an issue of the amount of money and labor brought to bear. Surely UP wouldn't have settled for having a locomotive out of service for 2 years for an overhaul. Modern requirements are different, of course, but no longer are there veritable armies of labor, or expansive facilities and supplies close to hand, to accomplish the mandated inspections and heavy maintenance on a timely basis; no matter the state of technology.

A016-L.jpg
UP 4-8-4 No. 844 at Kelso, CA, 11-20-11. Photo by Alice.​

Some fun: Videos like this one at Classic Trains magazine are often available to subscribers only, but this one's an exception. It's a look at UP's Big Boys (4-8-8-4s under discussion here), Challengers (4-6-6-4s), and "FEFs" (4-8-4s). Nice stuff!

Union Pacific Big Boys and Challengers in Action - http://ctr.trains.com/en/Magazine/~/link.aspx?_id=BF03BCCBA9D04EFB895614C3C1152330&_z=z&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CTR_News_130403_Final&utm_content=

Last edited by a moderator:
From UP's website,

Omaha, Neb., July 23, 2013 – Union Pacific Railroad today announced it reached an agreement with the Southern California Chapter - Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Pomona, Calif., to transfer ownership of one of the world's largest steam locomotives, Big Boy No. 4014, back to Union Pacific.

Union Pacific plans to relocate No. 4014 to Cheyenne, Wyo., where Union Pacific's Heritage Fleet Operations team will work to restore it to operating condition. Details regarding those efforts will be made public at a later date.

Union Pacific donated No. 4014 to the historical society December 7, 1961. The locomotive arrived January 8, 1962, at its current display location at the Rail Giants Train Museum in Pomona.

No other railroad has retained its historical equipment or honored its American roots like Union Pacific.

"Our steam locomotive program is a source of great pride to Union Pacific employees past and present," said Ed Dickens, senior manager - Union Pacific Heritage Operations. "We are very excited about the opportunity to bring history to life by restoring No. 4014."

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Trains magazine editor Jim Wrinn wrote this online column that briefly looks at the state of steam locomotives in the U.S. before concentrating on the engine uppermost in fans' minds these days: UP 4014.

Southern 4501, Norfolk & Western 611, and now Union Pacific 4014: Can it get any better than this - http://cs.trains.com/trn/b/staff/archive/2013/07/26/southern-4501-norfolk-amp-western-611-and-now-union-pacific-4014-can-it-get-any-better-than-this.aspx

"The Big Boy 4-8-8-4, of course, is the show stealer. It’s bigger, badder, and bossier than anything anyone has put on the main line since the end of steam. Once it’s running again, it’s doubtful that anything will come close to matching its impressiveness. Adding it to the operable roster of 844 and 3985 creates a perfect trio representing the best in steam locomotive development by the UP, among the pinnacle of American railroads."

Marginally off-topic concerning another Big Boy, I caught this lucky shot of UP 4023 on static display at Omaha from the passenger window of the MayhemMobile while speeding past on the freeway below as Team Whooz returned from a special event at the Illinois Railway Museum. "Lucky" because I barely saw the locomotive(s) in time to scramble to dig out the camera (little Canon A1200), roll down the window, point and shoot while passing at about 65 mph, with acceptable results.

That brings to 3 the number of Big Boys I've seen "in person" (out of 8 on display), with the others at Pomona and Cheyenne.

i-W4KbpKR-XL.jpg

Well, from what I have gleaned from all over --

3985 is in for a overhaul [15-year FRA? possibly]. As stated previously, UP steam crew isn't around all the time [especially they've got to get 844 out and about], so they're putting the Challenger on the back burner until the excursion season is over and they can devote more time to it.

The biggest fly in the ointment to all this? The 4014! There is an extermely good possibility that 3985 won't be back on the rails until UP finishes the restoration of 4014 [RUMOURED -- three to five years; and possibilty of 4014 showing up at the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike]. A three-to-five restoration on 4014 will still give UP time to get 3985 ready, too.

Oh wow -- the 844/3985/4014 triple-heading? The mind fairly boggles at that. . .

The latest Big Boy 4014 update from the RailGiants Train Museum at Pomona is somewhat stale, dated July 23.

Today's Trains News Wire, however, says 4014 is undergoing prep for its big change of location and ownership; mainly getting the locomotive ready for its move to Cheyenne:

"This weekend [August 10/11, 2013], members of the UP steam crew were at the Rail Giants Museum, located on the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, disassembling the locomotive pistons and attempting to move it back and forth few feet with a tractor. However, initial attempts to move the locomotive with a pair of front-end loaders to see how easy it would, or would not, roll were thwarted by steel chocks welded to the rails."

Nobody though to check for such things first!? Hmmmm...

Meanwhile, the Pomona outfit has announced that they'll be open additional days before the move so folks can visit 4014 before the big move. In addition, the upcoming Los Angeles County Fair will afford plenty of opportunities to see the Big Boy and all its steam and diesel friends. The museum is at the fairgrounds, and open mostly when the Fair is.

Southern California Railway & Locomotive Historical Society Schedule of Events: http://www.railgiants.org/event-schedule.htm

009-L.jpg
The RailGiants Train Museum at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds - and at Fairplex year 'round - is owned by The Southern California Chapter of the Railway & Locomotive Historical Society. The 1887 Santa Fe station from Arcadia, CA - at left - is the museum's bookstore and gift shop. (WhoozPhoto, 9-10-11)​

I can understand that it hurts them, losing such an iconic locomotive from their collection.

Maybe they can shop around. Some of the Big Boys in other locations aren't as well cared for any maybe they aren't really wanted. Maybe they can negotiate to bring one of those in as a replacement for static display?

I can understand that it hurts them, losing such an iconic locomotive from their collection.
Maybe they can shop around. Some of the Big Boys in other locations aren't as well cared for any maybe they aren't really wanted. Maybe they can negotiate to bring one of those in as a replacement for static display?
But they should be happy to see their legendary old locomotive restored and running again. I am sure most or all the museum staff are railfans, and would be overjoyed to see a Big Boy running again.

From the UP website:

Big Wheels Not Yet Turnin'

Posted August 15, 2013 3:00 p.m. CDT

The initial phase of mechanical preparation for moving UP4014 from Pomona, Calif., to Cheyenne, Wyo., is moving along according to plan and progressing well. Members of the UP Steam Team have been in Pomona, Calif., since early August, and will return later in the month for additional assessments.Union Pacific reached an agreement in July of this year with the Southern California Chapter - Railway & Locomotive Historical Society in Pomona, Calif., to transfer ownership of one of the world's largest steam locomotives, Big Boy No. 4014, back to Union Pacific.

Following several postponements another Big Boy - UP 4018 - is to be moved in Texas this Sunday (8-18) by a museum that's relocating to Frisco.
Is this 4014 or 4018 that's going to be restored? So 4018 is going from Texas to California?
4014 and 4018 are different locomotives. 4014 is in CA and 4018 is in TX. Wikipedia has an article you might enjoy. If I were anywhere near Texas, I'd be out to watch that move!

Following several postponements another Big Boy - UP 4018 - is to be moved in Texas this Sunday (8-18) by a museum that's relocating to Frisco.
Is this 4014 or 4018 that's going to be restored? So 4018 is going from Texas to California?
4014 is the one that has been acquired by the UP and will be moved from its current location in Southern California to Cheyene.

4018 is located at a museum in Texas. The museum is moving from one site to another and is taking all its equipment, including the Big Boy, with it.

Back