Upcoming Amtrak LD Schedule Changes (2021)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onboard service crew is based in NOL is it not? There is a crew base there for the City of New Orleans.

The conductors and engineers need a fixed rest break, but are they not also based out of NOL?

The location of these two sets of employees make or break the required time of departure. One thinks having them located at the terminal would make it much easier to have on-time departure. Late train no big deal for the T/E and OBS.

The Crescent has been leaving NOL northbound at 7AM for quite a few years, so obviously it's doable. Even though the southbound has often arrived late the night before.

Sorry but the Crescent operating crews are based out of Meridian for both NOL and ATL which the Meridian crews are qualified for both routes. Saves by keeping extra board smaller. So NOL inbound crews need rest before going out on #20.

Much of the discussion above assumes that the VIA Rail alternative will develop, in which there is a race to the bottom of scheduling -- schedule is fattened and instead of leading to on-time operation it becomes a new target to try and miss. However, the opposite may also occur.

After Lazar Kaganovich (aka "the butcher of the Ukraine", aka "Iron Lazar") was put in charge of Soviet railways a number of division superintendents and others left for new opportunities and schedule adherence improved. However, when things are going right on long-distance trains, the dwells at division points result in a lot of extended smoke breaks and shopping. Don't let your kids off the train unless you need a stuffed panda.

2010 Russia 034.jpg

I was on an on-time 48 a few months ago at Albany. I flat out left the station and sat down at a restaurant for a late lunch. Made it back in time to watch the switching. Sure beats the cafe food! Lol

So now that the Crescent gets into NOLA past 9 PM, I imagine Lake Ponchartrain wouldn’t be too visible? Are there other options for getting to see it?

Taking the CONO out.
At least you will get to see the Bonnet Carré Spillway which quite often stops CONO in its tracks when it is opened during flood seasons. Maybe you will even get to see the Lake in the distance on the right hand side, and the spillway gates on the left hand side heading North on CONO.

How far along is the new rail trestle which they were supposedly working on?

When we lived in New Orleans--more than thirty years ago--we used to hear about the Spillway on the news during flooding season. It was pronounced by the newsreaders "Bonnie Carry" and it wasn't till years later, looking it up online, that I learned its true spelling. (This is true of a lot of the main streets in New Orleans as well--Chartres is pronounced 'Charters' and Burgundy as 'bur GUND ee.' That's how we could spot the tourists.;))

When we lived in New Orleans--more than thirty years ago--we used to hear about the Spillway on the news during flooding season. It was pronounced by the newsreaders "Bonnie Carry" and it wasn't till years later, looking it up online, that I learned its true spelling. (This is true of a lot of the main streets in New Orleans as well--Chartres is pronounced 'Charters' and Burgundy as 'bur GUND ee.' That's how we could spot the tourists.;))
Yeah the random choice of occasionally using something close to a French pronunciation and at other times some random anglicized pronunciation i New Orleans is quite interesting, to say the least.

I've noticed many Americans have an aversion to the pronunciation of French names, such as the capital of South Dakota and river that flows through Minot ND.

We seem to prefer the Huckleberry Hound versions.

At least you will get to see the Bonnet Carré Spillway which quite often stops CONO in its tracks when it is opened during flood seasons. Maybe you will even get to see the Lake in the distance on the right hand side, and the spillway gates on the left hand side heading North on CONO.

How far along is the new rail trestle which they were supposedly working on?
When there is a New Orleans - Jackson bustitution you also get a nice view of the spillway and the railroad trestle. If you are lucky you may also see the equipment for your train deadheading from New Orleans to Jackson since the equipment does go across the trestle all the way to New Orleans, just without passengers. During our 2019 bustitution we almost saw the meet between 58 and 59 but I can't recall if this was north or south of the spillway.

So now that the Crescent gets into NOLA past 9 PM, I imagine Lake Ponchartrain wouldn’t be too visible? Are there other options for getting to see it?
The part of Lake Ponchatrain crossed by the Crescent from Slidell is the narrowest part of the lake and is only a 5 mile crossing. It's similar to the biew you get from the nearby I 10 crossing, which I did once, and it was pretty impressive. But I would think if you really want to get an idea of how big the lake is, stay in New Orleans an extra day, rent a car and drive over the Causeway, which is a 20+ mile crossing. Maybe some tour operators run bus tours across, I don't know that,but they should.

If you drive back through Ponchatula and I 55, you'll see that most of I55 is a bridge crossing a swamp. In fact, it seems that the only way you can get to New Orleans is by crossing a bridge. It's kind of like the Manhattan of the South. :)

The part of Lake Ponchatrain crossed by the Crescent from Slidell is the narrowest part of the lake and is only a 5 mile crossing. It's similar to the biew you get from the nearby I 10 crossing, which I did once, and it was pretty impressive. But I would think if you really want to get an idea of how big the lake is, stay in New Orleans an extra day, rent a car and drive over the Causeway, which is a 20+ mile crossing. Maybe some tour operators run bus tours across, I don't know that,but they should.

If you drive back through Ponchatula and I 55, you'll see that most of I55 is a bridge crossing a swamp. In fact, it seems that the only way you can get to New Orleans is by crossing a bridge. It's kind of like the Manhattan of the South. :)
I'll be staying in NOLA for a few days, so I'll try to fit in a Turo car rental.

I was looking at the scheduling for the TE to and from Bloomington/Normal on Sept. 23. I am curious why #2 is not shown??? The schedule shows #22 with a departure time of 7:00 a.m. If #2 was sold out, wouldn't that show up that way?

I was looking at the scheduling for the TE to and from Bloomington/Normal on Sept. 23. I am curious why #2 is not shown??? The schedule shows #22 with a departure time of 7:00 a.m. If #2 was sold out, wouldn't that show up that way?
Since when does #2 go to Bloomington/Normal?

Back