Upcoming Amtrak LD Schedule Changes (2021)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now that the Crescent gets into NOLA past 9 PM, I imagine Lake Ponchartrain wouldn’t be too visible? Are there other options for getting to see it?

Wait. The southbound Crescent schedule changed as well? I'm booked on it on 5/31 and I didn't get a revised ticket.

I can’t remember when the new schedule takes place. It might be after 5/31.
I believe it is

No. not on 5/31. It changes on the day it goes daily, which 6/6/21.

All it takes is to check the schedule in a test booking on amtrak.com, instead of just believing random things and then propagating it as information. 🤷‍♂️

All it takes is to check the schedule in a test booking on amtrak.com, instead of just believing random things and then propagating it as information. 🤷‍♂️
I meant I believe the change is after 5/31. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Would have been nice if they posted the old and new PDF schedules with the effective date for a schedule change like they used to.

Would nice if they posted PDF schedules in a clearly accessible place on their website.

But that would be customer friendly. Can't have that.

You can now see a schedule for a particular city pair and date range (within a week or so) by clicking the “Schedules” link on the Amtrak home page. It will then show the available trains between that origin/destination pair with depart/arrival times for those and all intermediate stops. Perhaps not as convenient as published timetables for all routes, but it is at least a bit better than just doing a test booking…

You can now see a schedule for a particular city pair and date range (within a week or so) by clicking the “Schedules” link on the Amtrak home page. It will then show the available trains between that origin/destination pair with depart/arrival times for those and all intermediate stops. Perhaps not as convenient as published timetables for all routes, but it is at least a bit better than just doing a test booking…
Yeah, like holding your breath for a second reduce your chance of catching Covid - for that second.

It's just garbage that Amtrak management does not provide online TRAIN SCHEDULES. Giving that info for one single pair of cities for one single day does not constitute a schedule. It constitutes a deliberate attempt to discourage passengers from traveling.

Do I understand that the Crescent is going to be departing New Orleans at 9 a.m. which is the same time that the Sunset departs New Orleans? That ought to make for a lot of confusion.

Do I understand that the Crescent is going to be departing New Orleans at 9 a.m. which is the same time that the Sunset departs New Orleans? That ought to make for a lot of confusion.
What will that poor rent-a-cop do who tries to throw his weight around? His head will explode!

He insists that everyone have their ID out for the conductor but the conductor has only wanted to see my ticket or Q code IMHE. To look at all those IDs right before boarding would drive him/her nuts.

Wonder with the very close departures wonder which train will get routed on the wrong line at CP Carrollton ave.
Sunset is at 9am and the Crescent is at 9:15am. If the dispatcher cannot route two trains properly 15 minutes apart they should consider going into the sidewalk peanut vending business or something like that instead. 🤪

Amtrak dispatchers in general are actually amazingly good.
I think what was meant by jiml was that if they are that incompetent as to be unable to correctly route 2 trains 15 minutes apart, they could also move into Amtrak management in lieu of becoming peanut vendors - which probably has higher qualification requirements and also licensing rules. At least, that's my guess.

Ba-dump-bump. Whomp whomp.

Yet another tedious joke about the supposed incompetence of Amtrak's management.

(And for the record, no, I am not, nor have I ever been, in Amtrak's management.)

Doesn't Amtrak management throughout the years get ANY credit for keeping some semblance of a long distance network going against all odds for 50 years, despite the headwinds of freight/host RR hatred, Congressional budgetary restraints and cheap airfares?

[Yes, I know Flexible Dining is gross, and the Pacific Parlor Car is sorely missed despite impossibly high maintenance costs, and OBS crew are often unacceptably rude, and all that. But talk about not being able to see the forest for the trees!]

Last edited:
Sure, Claytor gets credit. So does Boardman.

CURRENT management? I could do better. Not kidding. FFS, every railroad in the world *except Amtrak* publishes timetables. This is spectacular incompetence.

The latest round of layoffs & buyouts seems to have lost a lot of the competent people.

Just to put an underline on the Crescent schedule change that kicked this whole thread off, Amtrak did put out a service advisory on the schedule change:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/roanoke-crescent-service-schedule-changes.html
The service advisories are a bit buried
Site Tools/Service Alerts and Notices/Passenger Advisories.

The good news appears to be that yummy flex dining breakfasts will still be served departing New Orleans.

Last edited:
Back