Upcoming Carolinian -Greensboro to Richmond

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Amtrak Credit Card coupon to use or lose so the wife and I are taking the Carolinian from Greensboro to Richmond. I posted about my wife and daughter having some incidents on the Carolinian a few weeks ago on two different trips.

So my question-Shall we place odds on the chances someone is going to complain about wearing a mask and create a ruckus? I used the coupons to pay for business class which was not very crowded the last time I took the Carolinian.

Weplan to visit the Science Museum and Main Street Station so I will get all three stations in one way or another.

As of now, the Federal government requires wearing a mask at all times on any public transportation. The only exception on Amtrak is in a private room with the door closed. If you wander around without a mask, you can expect a ruckus and risk getting thrown off the train.

I'm fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask in any public space. It is a courtesy and for the safety of others. Especially children under 12 who still don't have the option of getting a vaccination. Secondary infections are rare, but can happen. I'd feel horrible if I found that someone's child died because I couldn't be bothered to protect them.

My parents and I rode the Carolinian in Business Class from NYC to Raleigh and back last month. We weren't aware of any mask incidents. Nor did anyone say a word about my father's gaiter.

As of now, the Federal government requires wearing a mask at all times on any public transportation. The only exception on Amtrak is in a private room with the door closed. If you wander around without a mask, you can expect a ruckus and risk getting thrown off the train.

I'm fully vaccinated and I still wear a mask in any public space. It is a courtesy and for the safety of others. Especially children under 12 who still don't have the option of getting a vaccination. Secondary infections are rare, but can happen. I'd feel horrible if I found that someone's child died because I couldn't be bothered to protect them.
If only more people had your feelings of looking out for each other. We would certainly have a higher rate of vaccination I am sure as well. The mask is something I support 100% for the same reasons you give. I have been a little lax the last few weeks I will be honest going in a few stores but with the Delta variant I plan to start masking up again and certainly will do on the train.

What I don't understand is that all of this is VERY clear before one gets a ticket and boards a train.

In one of the incidents the person getting kicked off the train claimed how much money he was worth, and how little the Amtrak employees were making, so he could have clearly afforded alternative transportation. :)

My parents and I rode the Carolinian in Business Class from NYC to Raleigh and back last month. We weren't aware of any mask incidents. Nor did anyone say a word about my father's gaiter.
I am hoping the two incidents were outliers and I assume they were since I have not heard much about other incidents. I am sure there have been a few others but nothing on a daily or even weekly basis.-I assume.

On the return trip the wife and I are sitting in the vary last seat in Business class and a middle aged female and young boy were beside us. We had no one facing us from Richmond to Greensboro but the mom/son had someone board at Richmond sitting facing them. He called then out for not masking and got the asst conductor and then the conductor involved. The conductor was very nice but firm. At first the lady feigned not understanding English but when the conductor offered to bring someone to her that spoke Spanish she claimed that was not needed.. The conductor spoke to her, was interrupted by the radio and then reiterated what he told her and the consequences. She masked up.

The staff was frim but cordial. I thanked the conductor for how he handled the situation. Also one of the staff was collecting trash twice by walking up and down the aisle and was such a joy to interact with. Staff was 10/10.

Back