Upcoming Site Software Change

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 12 years worth of Private Messages that I refer to from time to time so really need to know if they will transfer or if i need to back them up myself somehow.

BTW, here are the current "Thanks" and "Like" logos since you're trying to keep the new AU as close to the current version as possible.
Most of our contributors are middle aged or older, which seems like an odd match for romantic puppy love hearts and grade school trophy logos. :rolleyes:

BTW, here are the current "Thanks" and "Like" logos since you're trying to keep the new AU as close to the current version as possible.
Most of our contributors are middle aged or older, which seems like an odd match for romantic puppy love hearts and grade school trophy logos. :rolleyes:
Eh, it's cute and we all know what it means. I mean, most people don't look at an Oscar trophy and say it's too juvenile, and both Facebook and iMessage have their own heart reactions, so what really is the issue with it here?

Where’s the disagree button?
Where's the shocked button? 

{Sees the name Angie and realizes I've never really been in this forum and feels uncomfortable.}

Um...thanks for everything you do to keep this place running. Anything you do will be appreciated. Goodbye.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I asked this earlier but it got sort of buried so nobody answered: does XenForo allow tagging other members?

I thought Angie said we are not supposed to argue about our personal tastes on this thread. But since it has been brought up it is worth pointing out that Facebook has both a Thumbs Up and a Heart. I seldom use the Heart and use it only when I truly love something or someone. I agree with a lot of things using the Thumbs Up. The Shocked Button would be somewhat akin to the "Wow!" button on Facebook.

Since we wish to be minimalist, we should lose the cheesy heart and trophy thing and resort to just a simple thumbs up IMHO, which is already the case on the mobile app.

So I asked this earlier but it got sort of buried so nobody answered: does XenForo allow tagging other members?
It depends on how the Team here and I set it up go look like this forum.   It does have that function.

I thought Angie said we are not supposed to argue about our personal tastes on this thread. But since it has been brought up it is worth pointing out that Facebook has both a Thumbs Up and a Heart. I seldom use the Heart and use it only when I truly love something or someone. I agree with a lot of things using the Thumbs Up. The Shocked Button would be somewhat akin to the "Wow!" button on Facebook.

Since we wish to be minimalist, we should lose the cheesy heart and trophy thing and resort to just a simple thumbs up IMHO, which is already the case on the mobile app.
I do not usually use trophy feature and there are no hearts for LIKE as this software has, so the heart is not there unless there is a smiley you can use.

I have 12 years worth of Private Messages that I refer to from time to time so really need to know if they will transfer or if i need to back them up myself somehow.
I am verifying with the developer that will do the conversion, to get an accurate answer to this.   I'll let you know when I am sure.    I know that it does convert from vBulletin, but I have to  make sure from this software.

It depends on how the Team here and I set it up go look like this forum.   It does have that function.
If you have that feature please make sure that there is a way to turn off all notifications for an individual. I hate to be tagged. There is nothing here that needs my attention that much.

I'm hoping that XenForo tags have the same template as Invision tags (or at least can be modified to be that way), so that tags in existing posts will not just be turned into gibberish template text.

I'd rather just use the new software more or less out of the box and then go in and tweak what we as a group feel needs to be changed once it is up and running.  I don't have any great desire to make it look just like the current forum.  Losing the heart and trophy would be a huge plus for me.  Agree with jis on tagging. Ugh.

So, with that, maybe we can keep the micro-detail suggestions to a minimum and let the tech people do their thing? Just getting everything successfully migrated over is the important step.

I'd rather just use the new software more or less out of the box and then go in and tweak what we as a group feel needs to be changed once it is up and running.  I don't have any great desire to make it look just like the current forum.
Agree. 

Losing the heart and trophy would be a huge plus for me.
Agree if we replace them with a thumbs up and thumbs down. :D

So, with that, maybe we can keep the micro-detail suggestions to a minimum and let the tech people do their thing? Just getting everything successfully migrated over is the important step.
Also agreed a thousand times over. As long as the content survives, and the basic functionality is there, well come out ahead. There will be plenty of time for “can we improve” after the fact. Just the ability to regain a code editor will be a huge win. Dealing with quotes in this new editor is a train wreck. 

About the private messages.   I just received the confirmation that they will be conveyed to the XenForo version of AU.

As of this morning, staff is not sure when the change will take place.  There has been a delay.

For future reference (and I get that there's a 99.9% chance that someone will have remembered this anyway), here are all the different member groups, colors, associated post counts, and titles:

View attachment 12676

EDIT: I realize I omitted the Gathering Team Members group from there. They are green.
And though it’s a small thing, can we carry over the fact that for each title a member reaches, they get another dot under their profile as a badge? Train Attendants have one dot and Engineers end up with six.

I will be tweaking on that right after the change happens.   I try to get those member settings set first.    So, you'll get them, and that chart will help me a great deal.

And did you see the notice where the change is happening in about 2 or 3 hours?   The site will be locked so new posts will not happen during the change, but should not be down long.   Be sure to remember your password as you may be asked to log in on the new site.   

And did you see the notice where the change is happening in about 2 or 3 hours?   The site will be locked so new posts will not happen during the change, but should not be down long.   Be sure to remember your password as you may be asked to log in on the new site.   
I did see that. Thanks for letting us know. :)

I dont have a clue what my Password is!!!?????( It was assigned when I joined AU, all I remeber is it's a Long set of random #s and Signs) Have been automatically Logging on for over 10 years.

What happens when you can't Log on to get help as needed with Password when New Set up is in Place??? :help:

[email protected]    That will get to me to reset your password for you once the change happens.  Be sure to tell me AU and your member name.   

The Contact Us will be set up quickly, and that is what can be used also.  That will come to me.   I plan to be hanging around most of the rest of the day into evening.    

I dont have a clue what my Password is!!!?????( It was assigned when I joined AU, all I remeber is it's a Long set of random #s and Signs) Have been automatically Logging on for over 10 years.

What happens when you can't Log on to get help as needed with Password when New Set up is in Place??? :help:
Jim, I sent you a PM and an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back