Upcoming Trip Stuff (CHI-WAS-NYP-WAS-CHI, lounges, etc.)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
So I'm finally using some Amtrak Guest Rewards points to take a free trip to New York to help a friend pack his apartment and load his truck for the West Coast (I'm a helluva friend! But seriously, a good excuse to make a LD train trip and have a mini vacation).

I'm leaving CHI on June 2nd on the Cap Ltd to WAS then NEC up to NYP, doing the reverse on June 5th to get back to CHI on June 6th. Lake Shore Ltd.would have eaten a lot more points and it is my least favorite LD train, and I love the Cap Ltd. more than any other east coast train (for those of you wondering why not the direct route). All the trains I'm taking and all stations involved I've been in many times before, but it has been several years since I've done a LD trip (most of my trips these days involve either IL or MI corridor). I used to go back and forth between NYP and CHI a lot on the Pennsy and Cap Ltd when I still lived in NYC. I wish I was helping him move in his new place in Seattle so I could revisit my youth with another CHI-SEA trip on the EB, but alas.

So looking for some opinions for a few things.

First, what do people think about the Legacy Club at CUS? I've been by the outside of it a few times now and I like the way it looks. Is the bar in there open yet? And how busy does it get? I like a nice quiet place to have a drink before boarding a train. I liked the old Metro Deli bar when it was slow but not during those evening rush departure times. I'm hoping that the new Metropolitan Lounge will have its promised opening date before my trip, I'd like to check it out. But I won't hang out in the old one, never liked it. And if the new one - like the old one - still doesn't have place to sit and grab a beer (I never understand that lost opportunity for alcohol sales) I'll probably still opt for the Legacy Club.

And is it true you can still get your priority boarding from the Legacy Club without having to hustle back to the ML?

Now in WAS - one of my favorite stations - I've never checked out the ClubAcela, how is that? And what's your favorite place to hang out in WAS Union Station? Been many years (maybe 10) since I've been there, don't know what might be different.

As far as the Cap Ltd is concerned, how's that train these days? Food, service, etc. I was last on it about six years ago, haven't kept up if they've made major changes in anything, or if the quality has taken a slide.

Anybody know if you don't like one of your roomette assignments (on the way back I'm on lower level by the family room) what the chances are you could get Amtrak to switch you if you call and say pretty please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Capitol Limited last year and enjoyed it. The food and service was pretty good for the two times I rode it. The food was served in a timely manner and tasted pretty good. The Cap uses a Cross Country Cafe dining car which means half of the upstairs part is dining and the other part is a Cafe with lounge seating. There was a Sightseer Lounge behind the diner, but the lower level was closed off.

I have never been in the Legacy Club in Chicago as it was under renovation when I was there on a layover.

The Club Acela is a nice place to relax a bit before your train arrives. It's fairly quiet compared to the noise in the rest of the station. The station itself has undergone some renovations recently. There is a drug store opening up in the food court, but I don't remember which one (Walgreens?). One of the places I liked to eat was Johnny Rockets. I live in Kansas and those are not around where I live so it was a neat place to eat a hamburger. There were other places I ate at in there (Taco Bell, Subway, and McDonalds), but they weren't anything special.

I often have them change the roomette assignment, LOL. I always want an upstairs room, in the middle of the corridor -- not too close to the banging restroom door, not too close to the end door. Sometimes I get the one I request, sometimes I have to book one and then get it changed later in the call, or even call back and change.

If you are reserved for a lower level roomette, it could be that all the uppers were already booked when you called. They often get freed up as people cancel or change their reservations, so it's worth calling back. Check amsnag before calling back, to see if there have been enough cancellations to put the fare into a lower bucket (hey, it happens). If the fare is lower, you should get a refund by re-booking. If the fare is higher, be sure and ask for a modification. If they cancel and re-book you, you will end up paying for the higher bucket. Modifying keeps your fare. If the agent claims they can't modify your existing reservation, you should just say "thanks, don't do anything, I'll call back later." End the conversation, and call back trying for a different agent that knows what they are doing.

Thanks for both comments. Cool, think I'll call to see if they can move me. I've always heard they do upstairs first, so I'm probably SOL, but maybe I can snag one.

I forgot about the Cross Country Cafe diner, I think maybe it had that the last time I rode it.

I've always heard they do upstairs first, so I'm probably SOL, but maybe I can snag one.
They seem to start with roomette #2, and just assign them in order as they sell. I always plan way in advance, so we used to almost always be assigned #2, which is too close to the attendant's room, restroom and coffee for me to sleep well. I learned that I just had to ask for a different roomette assignment.

But people do change their plans, and various accommodations open up from day to day, so just keep trying till you find an open one upstairs. Good luck, and I hope we get to hear how the trip turned out!

They seem to start with roomette #2, and just assign them in order as they sell. I always plan way in advance, so we used to almost always be assigned #2 [...]
You are likely exactly right about that; I almost always book late and have almost always wound up with a double-digit roomette. Though, there have been times (like once or twice) when I booked really late (like 48-72 hours prior to departure) and received a single-digit roomette. Under your theory, it’s easy to see that was probably due to one of the many illustrious cancellations.

To the OP’s original questions:

1) I took the Capitol Limited in January after an absence of several years. The CL is also my favorite Eastern train (bearing in mind I’ve yet to take all of them); so I always enjoy my travels while on it. I did notice some of the same changes which have affected all of the long distance trains, which reduced overall service levels; but the CL was still tops above the other LD trains I’ve taken recently.

2) Washington Union Station is probably my favorite US train station for a variety of reasons and still is, though on my travels through there in January, the changes which have been discussed on other threads on this board were evident. Construction scaffolding was still very much in place, though other AU users have noted that much of it has been disassembled since the time I was there. The construction displaced or disrupted many of the dining establishments (notably the seated ones) which were there when I was there previously, about three years ago. The biggest disappointment to me was the departure of the Barnes & Noble in favor of a Forever 21 outlet. In fact, that was somewhat symbolic of my experience at WAS: I noticed a lot more mall rats than in my previous visits and it seems that what was previously a transit center mixed with a destination dining spot + some retail has given way to a retail emporium mixed with a train station. The only element that’s currently missing is a multiplex motion picture theater with offerings catering to teenage patrons on a date night.

The overall renovation is yet-to-be-completed, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Other AU regulars and Mid-Atlantic locals can give more details as to why things are the way they are (and there are other threads here which discuss the ongoing project in more detail).

3) WAS Club Acela is my favorite of all the CA lounges (though I have not visited the NYP offering—-but AU postings on the topic indicate I’m not missing much). The decor is similar to the current Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, but the layout is different (somewhat U-shaped) and I think that enhances the ambiance a little bit, as well as making it seem less like a holding pen for livestock in transit. It is far more relaxed than the Met Lounge in Chicago, and the luggage storage is all self-serve. Even the attendants are more positive and customer-oriented than in the other lounges. Each time I have left and returned after a multi-hour absence, I’ve been greeted with a hearty “Welcome back!”, rather than a glare or grunt which is usually the case with the other lounges.

While normally I like to explore when I have a layover of any length, based on my recent experience at WAS, I will likely opt to stay in the Club Acela lounge rather than explore the Mall-On-The-Hill when I have to transit through there on my trip this summer. The only downside is that for all of the retail food offerings still left at WAS, the lounge has a posted “No Outside Food” policy, which I’ve not understood, since Club Acela is neither selling food nor offering any complementary food items which could be confused with those from outside vendors.

To the OP’s original questions:

1) I took the Capitol Limited in January after an absence of several years. The CL is also my favorite Eastern train (bearing in mind I’ve yet to take all of them); so I always enjoy my travels while on it. I did notice some of the same changes which have affected all of the long distance trains, which reduced overall service levels; but the CL was still tops above the other LD trains I’ve taken recently.

2) Washington Union Station is probably my favorite US train station for a variety of reasons and still is, though on my travels through there in January, the changes which have been discussed on other threads on this board were evident. Construction scaffolding was still very much in place, though other AU users have noted that much of it has been disassembled since the time I was there. The construction displaced or disrupted many of the dining establishments (notably the seated ones) which were there when I was there previously, about three years ago. The biggest disappointment to me was the departure of the Barnes & Noble in favor of a Forever 21 outlet. In fact, that was somewhat symbolic of my experience at WAS: I noticed a lot more mall rats than in my previous visits and it seems that what was previously a transit center mixed with a destination dining spot + some retail has given way to a retail emporium mixed with a train station. The only element that’s currently missing is a multiplex motion picture theater with offerings catering to teenage patrons on a date night.

The overall renovation is yet-to-be-completed, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Other AU regulars and Mid-Atlantic locals can give more details as to why things are the way they are (and there are other threads here which discuss the ongoing project in more detail).

3) WAS Club Acela is my favorite of all the CA lounges (though I have not visited the NYP offering—-but AU postings on the topic indicate I’m not missing much). The decor is similar to the current Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, but the layout is different (somewhat U-shaped) and I think that enhances the ambiance a little bit, as well as making it seem less like a holding pen for livestock in transit. It is far more relaxed than the Met Lounge in Chicago, and the luggage storage is all self-serve. Even the attendants are more positive and customer-oriented than in the other lounges. Each time I have left and returned after a multi-hour absence, I’ve been greeted with a hearty “Welcome back!”, rather than a glare or grunt which is usually the case with the other lounges.

While normally I like to explore when I have a layover of any length, based on my recent experience at WAS, I will likely opt to stay in the Club Acela lounge rather than explore the Mall-On-The-Hill when I have to transit through there on my trip this summer. The only downside is that for all of the retail food offerings still left at WAS, the lounge has a posted “No Outside Food” policy, which I’ve not understood, since Club Acela is neither selling food nor offering any complementary food items which could be confused with those from outside vendors.
Thanks for the extra insight. (was traveling all week, didn't see this until today).

Shame about WAS, also has been one of my favorite stations, always loved eating there so hate to hear they seem to be turning it to a mall.

I think I'll opt for spending time in the bar mentioned in another thread, if I can find its new location. Sitting in a Club Acela - even a nice one - without food or drink doe not sound satisfying to me. Perhaps I'll take a peek just to check it out.

I took the Capitol Limited last year and enjoyed it. The food and service was pretty good for the two times I rode it. The food was served in a timely manner and tasted pretty good. The Cap uses a Cross Country Cafe dining car which means half of the upstairs part is dining and the other part is a Cafe with lounge seating. There was a Sightseer Lounge behind the diner, but the lower level was closed off.
How is the CCC compared to a regular dining car? Does the CL have the CCC year-round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back