Updated Amtrak Website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With ridership down they should have plenty of time to work on the website
?? With ridership down they may not have the $$ to pay their IT dept to work on the website. I doubt ridership has much, if anything, to do with writing code for the website.

What frosts me is that you can't seem to obtain a true route timetable anymore, even in PDF versions. "Just give us your endpoints and we'll tell you how to get there." Misses out on most of the possible "overnight layover" connections...yes, WE know about them, but Joe Schmoe from Bingen-White Salmon may not. And timetables are great for 'window shopping'..."Hmm, never heard of that little town, but the Cardinal passes through it at a convenient time...wonder what's there?"

What frosts me is that you can't seem to obtain a true route timetable anymore, even in PDF versions. "Just give us your endpoints and we'll tell you how to get there." Misses out on most of the possible "overnight layover" connections...yes, WE know about them, but Joe Schmoe from Bingen-White Salmon may not. And timetables are great for 'window shopping'..."Hmm, never heard of that little town, but the Cardinal passes through it at a convenient time...wonder what's there?"
No more timetables, printed or now electronic? What a shame! I guess the new generations are not given credit for being able to read them?

With ridership down they should have plenty of time to work on the website

I'm pretty sure most of the staff that's been moved to the extra board doesn't have the training required to work on a production, public-facing website for a large corporation. I'm not aware of any on-board staff, conductors, or engineers that have "fix and upgrade Amtrak.com" as part of their job descriptions, and the skills required for those jobs are quite different.

I could not get the drop-downs on the home page to work for filling in stations or dates. The screen returning the error code when I tried had full functionality, and I was able to see a trip. Of course, they did still have not loaded the AmBus connection between Pasco and Walla Walla. No, you'd need a pdf schedule to see that even exists. Smh.

But it STILL says "call for price" on a trip with connections, using points. I hope they can make this more functional before I actually want to book a trip. Of course, when I do that, I will be calling and explaing everythingVERY carefully to the agent.

It works if you start from Amtrak.com. Click on destinations, click on the region, click on the train and then click on schedule. If you copy the link it doesn't work.

All I get is the same old Service Adjustments Due To Coronavirus page when following the method in Post #20. Glad I still have a few copies of the last printed System Timetables.

Here is what I did ...

Start from Amtrak.com homepage
1587923386286.png

Click on "Destinations"
1587923448110.png

Click on "See All Routes"
1587923562702.png

Select your route - I chose California Zephyr
1587923627966.png

Click on "View Details"
1587923695585.png

Click on "Schedule"
1587923741745.png

Click on the second option for current schedule
1587923791491.png

Well, I went to the Empire Builder page and I got the Amtrak Advisory | Amtrak to Operate on Modified Schedules (in a new tab). Backed up, tried the California Zephyr, and got the same thing, and on the Coast Starlight too. I see that the URL says it's about the NEC, but it seems to be on every train I've checked.

I'm on a desktop at amtrak.com. Are you by chance on the mobile app?

Thanks Qapla! Your sequence works like a charm.

But what a convoluted circle-jerk of a method to view a stinkin' timetable!! It's as if Amtrak wanted to keep them hidden from the average yokel - like me. :)

Last edited:
Back