Updated Amtrak Website

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before all this COVID stuff, once on the Amtrak homepage it used to be a two click process - schedules then route. Now it's four clicks. My problem is the "old dog, new tricks" business!

I'm not bothered . . . I have always found that by calling a live rep I can get better information, customized adjustments, and the tickets emailed to me.

12-20-2020.jpg

Before all this COVID stuff, once on the Amtrak homepage it used to be a two click process - schedules then route. Now it's four clicks. My problem is the "old dog, new tricks" business!
I'll have to check that out when Amtrak gets itself back together. I enjoy taking the scenic route on web pages also, apparently!

The Amtrak website seems to be updated. One error I noticed is that, when you click on Bedroom, the sketch shows a Viewliner Roomette.
I received a response from Amtrak:

"As information,with the new test version of the website features pictures that are different from the pictures in the old version. If compared to the old version, the pictures due look similar to other room types. We have notified the appropriate department to ensure that there is accuracy."

I recently also noticed that, in their comparison of Roomettes and Bedrooms, it is incorrectly stated that the "panoramic window" in a Bedroom is "even wider" than the one in a Roomette. (The windows in the Family Bedroom are referred to as "picture windows.")

It is sad that Amtrak (or any business at all) would send such a poorly written response. Of course, it is sad that Amtrak (or any business at all) would publish a "new test version of the website" as its primary interface with the public.

I went to Amtrak.com

I see what they are trying to do and I did manage to navigate my way to getting ticket prices ... that's about the best I can say -

Personally, I prefer the site the way it was! I don't care for their new design.

Personally, I prefer the site the way it was! I don't care for their new design.
Oddly enough, the old website format still comes up if a date in the left hand column of an AmSnag search is clicked and the URL begins with "tickets.amtrak. . .". The URL for the new website starts with "beta.amtrak. . .". No idea what any of that stuff means, however.

I kinda suspected it would be too good to last. Now when Qapla's 4-step process to access the timetable for a route is followed (see Post #22) the same old Covid-19 bazanga comes up.

Maybe there's a new secret method to access a current timetable but I'll be fried in wine if I can find it!.

Thanx Colorado! The first part of the URL for your working link is "aemtest". How did you ever come across that one?

I might be the dumbest thing that ever poked at a keyboard, but to me it appears as if Amtrak is playing hide-and-seek with this. I wonder how long Colorado's link will work?

Back