Updated train number on reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello.
In a few weeks, I'm taking a trip to Chicago via St. Louis. I made my reservation more than a month ago.
When I made that reservation I was on train 314, connecting to train 304 (Missouri River Runner, then Illinois Service).
Then, a little over a week ago, I received an email from Amtrak with updated (changed) train numbers. Now, the whole route will be train 318. There's a minor change in departure and arrival times in to St. Louis, but otherwise, it's the same journey.
It's tough to find a lot of info on Amtrak's site. Can anyone shed light on why the change would have been made?
And, does anyone know if this change will require a change of trains at St. Louis, or will I be able to stay on board for the continuation? The original setup would have had the Runner return west, retracing its route - and a short layover before boarding the northbound train.
Thanks.

I haven't been keeping up with it, but perhaps visit this thread and see if it answers your question.

Thanks, that thread had a lot of good information.
Update: The current service used the same equipment, and after a long station stop at St Louis (and a lot of detraining followed by new boardings) we continued on to Chicago. I didn’t feel there was sufficient time to run in to the station if one wanted to purchase food, and there was no mention of that idea. Same seat, and original conductor placed a seat ticket in the rack above marked CHI. It was a pleasant and comfortable trip, and we made up lost time once in the metro. Our conductor made an interesting announcement about how arriving on time depended on crossing 4 other railroads. We saw all green lights!

Back