Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

daybeers

Conductor
My upgrade coupons say they're not valid on these services: Adirondack®, Auto Train®, California Zephyr®, Capitol Limited®, Cardinal®, City of New Orleans®, Crescent®, Empire Builder®, Keystone Service®, Lake Shore Limited®, Silver Meteor®, Silver Star®, Southwest Chief®, Sunset Limited®, Texas Eagle®, and train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.

Some of those have business class. Is it just because they're LD trains, meaning you can't upgrade to a sleeper, and you can still upgrade from coach to BC on the LSL Boston section with the split cafe/BC car or is that still not allowed? I understand if the Adirondack doesn't accept it since it's state supported but the other NY state trains aren't listed. The Coast Starlight has BC and also isn't listed.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
Adirondack does not accept it because it does not have BC service. Thanks to CBP/CBSA even if the train might have the split BC/Cafe car, no BC tickets are sold on that train AFAIR. Een though people with Coach tickets may help themselves to the BC seats if present, the entire car is cleared of passengers before the border crossing. The Agents set up shop in that car for secondary inspections.

neroden

Engineer
I don't know why the upgrade coupon is listed as not valid on the LSL, but business class always sells out on the LSL so in practice it wouldn't work anyway.

daybeers

Conductor
I don't know why the upgrade coupon is listed as not valid on the LSL, but business class always sells out on the LSL so in practice it wouldn't work anyway.
You're right that it often does sell out, but this time it didn't :)

Does anyone have any upgrade coupons they don't intend to use before they expire?

I have an upgrade coupon that I got from my World credit card signup. I’m taking a trip to DC with my girlfriend in March. Going on Acela business on the way down and NE Regional coach on the way back. Can we use the upgrade coupon to move both of us to NE Regional business on the way back? Or is just for one person?

daybeers

Conductor
I have an upgrade coupon that I got from my World credit card signup. I’m taking a trip to DC with my girlfriend in March. Going on Acela business on the way down and NE Regional coach on the way back. Can we use the upgrade coupon to move both of us to NE Regional business on the way back? Or is just for one person?
Upgrade coupons are just for one person, but maybe someone will post an upgrade coupon here before March. I'd highly recommend using the coupon(s) to upgrade to Acela First Class instead of NER Business. NER BC isn't very different than coach, just curtains, a little more legroom, a footrest, quieter as it's at the end of the train and you can look out the back, and I think one non-alcoholic beverage. Acela First gives you a meal and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks with at-seat service.

Upgrade coupons are just for one person, but maybe someone will post an upgrade coupon here before March. I'd highly recommend using the coupon(s) to upgrade to Acela First Class instead of NER Business. NER BC isn't very different than coach, just curtains, a little more legroom, a footrest, quieter as it's at the end of the train and you can look out the back, and I think one non-alcoholic beverage. Acela First gives you a meal and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks with at-seat service.
I booked the Acela tickets during the sale they had last week, and unfortunately upgrades weren't allowed as part of the terms. Taking the regional back on Sunday, which allows upgrades since the sale didn't include Sunday travel.

daybeers

Conductor
Has anyone used an upgrade coupon on a Saver fare recently? I know the fare rules say upgrade coupons aren't allowed but my experience is I was able to in the past. Trying to book a trip and just wanted to make sure.

dan

Train Attendant
Can I use the Amtrak app to upgrade using an upgrade coupon or do I have to call?

daybeers

Conductor
You can use the app. If your reservation is in there, tap Trip Tools, then Upgrade (only available within 48 hours of departure, which is the longest coupon time) and it'll present the coupons and their expiration dates for ones in your account, and you'll also be able to type in a different number as well.

How does one actually use an upgrade coupon? For example if I reserved a trip on Acela BC and wanted to use my AGR coupon to upgrade to FC do I make the BC reservation and then apply the upgrade and if so how?

Last edited:

daybeers

Conductor
How does one actually use an upgrade coupon? For example if I reserved a trip on Acela BC and wanted to use my AGR coupon to upgrade to FC do I make the BC reservation and then apply the upgrade and if so how?
Upgrade coupons are either valid to apply 12 or 48 hours prior to departure; look on your online account to see. The easiest way is to use the app. Tap the Trip Tools button and if it's within 48 hours, an "Upgrade" option will be present. It will bring you to a menu with your upgrade coupons, their numbers, and their validity by hours prior to departure. Pick one (check your online account to see which expires first) and it'll apply and send you a new eticket email as well as immediately update your ticket in the app.

Calling AGR or talking to a station agent also works, but takes longer and usually you want to do it the second you're under the 12 or 48 hour mark.

Be aware that it's totally possible for Acela First to sell out before you're able to use your coupon, but that's part of the risk. Depends on the station pair, time of day, day of week, and time of year.

Good luck!

daybeers

Conductor
Anyone have any companion coupons they won't use? Trying to book a September trip.
Someone graciously gave me one :)

Also huge update, at least for me: the agent I booked with said the coupon is honored if I called back before the trip and got a lower fare if the price changes. I knew you could change the fare if it dropped, but thought the coupon would be forfeited in that case. Wonderful news!!

Cal

Engineer
If you book a trip with two people, can you add on a companion coupon later and get some of the money back?

Also, I think, but may be wrong, that I heard that upgrade coupons can now be used to upgrade from coach to rooms. Can they be used from roomette to bedrooms?

daybeers

Conductor
1. I think it would be canceled and rebooked at the current fare.

2. I don't think coupons will ever be eligible for upgrades from coach to sleeper. I don't think they're eligible for roomette->bedroom either, but BidUps can do that.

Hi all, does anyone have a companion coupon to spare for a trip I'm planning for next month? It would be sometime between mid June and late June (not sure of exact date/time yet). Thanks in advance.

Thanks so much, one person already reached out to me with PM with a code. But quick question - you can apply this on the Amtrak.com site in the Advanced Search section when searching for tickets, right? Oddly, the coupon code field doesn't always show up for me when expanding that section out.

Secondly, does the companion code only work on value fares and not saver fares? I feel like I've read mixed reports, where customer service can apply to any faretype, but on the site, I am only allowed to book "value" rate, which is much more expensive compared to saver. So, it makes no sense in that scenario to use the companion code.

Any help you guys can provide on these items would be much appreciated!

Thanks so much, one person already reached out to me with PM with a code. But quick question - you can apply this on the Amtrak.com site in the Advanced Search section when searching for tickets, right? Oddly, the coupon code field doesn't always show up for me when expanding that section out.

Secondly, does the companion code only work on value fares and not saver fares? I feel like I've read mixed reports, where customer service can apply to any faretype, but on the site, I am only allowed to book "value" rate, which is much more expensive compared to saver. So, it makes no sense in that scenario to use the companion code.

Any help you guys can provide on these items would be much appreciated!
I have dealt with this issue several times and have wasted a lot of time trying to unsuccessfully use companion coupons with saver fares. I finally made some notes to myself so I don't repeat this mistake over and over. My notes indicate: "Companion coupons cannot be used with saver fares."

I don't profess to be an expert in this so corrections would be welcome if I am mistaken.

I have dealt with this issue several times and have wasted a lot of time trying to unsuccessfully use companion coupons with saver fares. I finally made some notes to myself so I don't repeat this mistake over and over. My notes indicate: "Companion coupons cannot be used with saver fares."

I don't profess to be an expert in this so corrections would be welcome if I am mistaken.

So in this thread - Why is my companion coupon not working?

@Bob Dylan said: "I've never had any problems upgrading or using Companion Coupons when booking with AGR( and the Saver Fare,if available, CAN be used with Coupons and Vouchers)"

So in this thread - Why is my companion coupon not working?

@Bob Dylan said: "I've never had any problems upgrading or using Companion Coupons when booking with AGR( and the Saver Fare,if available, CAN be used with Coupons and Vouchers)"
All I can say is that I have been unable to use a companion coupon with saver fares. In my case I was not trying to book with points but I was trying to purchase the tickets. I was on hold for about 2 hours before an agent came on and told me that a companion coupon could not be used with saver fares. If you are able to successfully use the coupon with saver fares, please let us know.

All I can say is that I have been unable to use a companion coupon with saver fares. In my case I was not trying to book with points but I was trying to purchase the tickets. I was on hold for about 2 hours before an agent came on and told me that a companion coupon could not be used with saver fares. If you are able to successfully use the coupon with saver fares, please let us know.

Just spoke with AGR customer service (I requested a callback to avoid waiting on hold) - the gentleman confirmed that companion coupons do not work with Saver fares. Each individual companion coupon is also only valid for a one-way trip, not roundtrip, although he admitted some reps have mistakenly provided wrong info about this to people.

Does anyone have a Lounge coupon that they cannot use? I am taking the Acela back from Union Station DC to Albany with a layover at Penn on June 5. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone have a Lounge coupon that they cannot use? I am taking the Acela back from Union Station DC to Albany with a layover at Penn on June 5. Thank you in advance!

Wouldn't you get access even without a pass, since you're taking Acela? I thought Acela and any sleeper reservation automatically have lounge access. Maybe I'm mistaken.