Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-1 3235

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
MODERATOR NOTE: there were numerous threads regarding upgrade, companion and lounge coupons with posts by members who have coupons available, who are seeking coupons and who have questions. We have merged most of the threads into this one, which was re-titled and pinned. Please note we "locked" some of the older threads (within the last year) where questions were asked and/or answered or all the coupons have expired. Very old threads were ignored. Please post any new requests, etc. in this thread.
Please limit your requests for coupons to requests for yourself (the member) and not your friends or family members.
Requests for coupons from "new" members will only be posted after the member has posted a minimum number of times and been a member for a minimum period of time.

If offering coupons, please post the expiration date.

Thanks.

I have two 48 hour one-class upgrade E-coupons which I will not be using.

They expire February 29, 2016.

First two posts/PM, by time posted, will receive them.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I did notice, though I'm not sure if it's related or not. Apparently the terms and conditions of the coupons have changed to only allow a one-way ticket. That's rather disappointing to find out when I'm looking at using it on a round-trip.
Good catch. The companion coupon used to be round trip .

To follow up, it looks like at least any coupons earned under the old rule were doubled (so there's two available to use.) I thought it was just a system glitch that I was seeing two with the same voucher number on it when I logged in, but I was able to use the coupon for two one-way fares when I redeemed online.

I saw an old coupon online and it said it could not be used for sleeper seats. Do the new ones say the same thing? We are thinking about getting the Amrak CCard to get that perk, along with the 30,000 points of course.

I saw an old coupon online and it said it could not be used for sleeper seats. Do the new ones say the same thing? We are thinking about getting the Amrak CCard to get that perk, along with the 30,000 points of course.
Both the upgrade coupon and the companion coupon specifically forbid using either for sleeper accommodations in any capacity. I don't agree with the logic on the companion coupon, but it is what it is. They also can't be stacked and don't work with AGR redemptions. The companion coupon does allow upgrades to business (or first on Acela) with the payment of both people's upgrade fee.

I just realized I have two companion passes that are only good for travel until 11:59 PM on September 13.

PM or post if you can use them.

Mike
Those don't work for sleepers, right?
Correct. Upgrade to Business and from Acela Business to First permitted (with payment of full accommodation charge), but no Sleeper.

I tried to use the online upgrade last night and failed to figure it out, so I called AGR Select and was informed that since I used another coupon for this reservation I couldn’t use a second. I’ll have to remember that for next time.

You can not combine 2 discounts on the same reservation. A Saver fare is a discounted Value (or regular) fare, thus no you can not on the Saver fare ticket.
Unless there has been a recent change, this is not correct. Despite the frequent claims to the contrary, upgrade coupons can be applied to Saver fares. I successfully applied an upgrade coupon to a Saver fare on the Cardinal in February.

I'll add that all you have to do is either send the code or, select the proper coupons under print and save the PDF to forward them. AGR won't transfer the coupons to other accounts. 

A fellow AU member sent me 2 upgrades recently and just did the latter to send them to me. That way I can either take it to PHL to upgrade or call AGR or Amtrak to upgrade. :)  

So I just bought tickets for the wife and I on the Coast Starlight in a roomette with a companion coupon applied. I know the companion coupons specifically state they are not to be used for sleeper accommodations, but currently if you enter a code online, the system is applying the discount to sleeper’s also. I don’t know if this is a temporary programming oversight or new policy, but I thought I’d let y’all know.  :blink:

I have no experience with the coupons but, perhaps they applied the "companion coupon" to your wife's basic rail fare. The accommodation charge (which is covers you and a second passenger was paid by you along with your basic rail fare.

I have no experience with the coupons but, perhaps they applied the "companion coupon" to your wife's basic rail fare. The accommodation charge (which is covers you and a second passenger was paid by you along with your basic rail fare.
Well, all I know is I checked the fare with and without the coupon added and there was the appropriate fare (half the coach portion) difference. Also when it’s attached, the fare selections have the yellow/green line and say “coupon applied”. 

Back