Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with the coupons but, perhaps they applied the "companion coupon" to your wife's basic rail fare. The accommodation charge (which is covers you and a second passenger was paid by you along with your basic rail fare.
The terms and conditions of the companion coupons say that it can’t be used for sleeper travel at all. That’s why this is a surprise.

It appears that so long as you don't try to use any other discounts on the Rail Fare (NARP, Senior, etc), it will allow companion coupons for sleeper bookings. Despite it specifically saying "Not valid for sleeping car accommodations." in the Terms and Conditions. :huh:

I called Amtrak to hold fares on the Cardinal and Lake Shore, and I can say that both USA-RAIL and AGR had no issue whatsoever with applying companion coupons to sleeper travel. So I think the restriction that it's "not valid for sleeper bookings" might just be saying that it's not valid for the room itself, but can be used for Rail Fare.

If you are traveling alone can you use the companion fare coupon for maybe a half price ticket???
The whole premise of it as that you can bring another person along for free, with the payment of one full Adult fare. Otherwise it would really just be a 50% off coupon. Here are the restrictions:

• Coupon valid for one (1) free companion rail fare with the purchase of one (1) regular (full) adult fare. Free companion and paid travel must be reserved at the same time. The companion and paying passenger must travel together at all times.
  • Each coupon is valid for travel as one (1) one-way reservation. (Doesn’t seem to actually be the case. The phone agent who booked my last trip applied a single coupon to a whole round-trip without any issue)
  • Travel blackout dates apply. 
  • Valid for travel on all Amtrak service except train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.
  • Free companion offer is not combinable with any discount, coupon, or Amtrak Guest Rewards® redemption travel.
  • The Coupon# is unique to your coupon and valid for one use only. Buying or selling this coupon is prohibited and will invalidate the coupon. Coupon may be transferred to a family member or friend.
  • Offer valid for Coach class and Acela Business class travel only. Upgrade to Business class or Acela First class is available upon full payment of applicable accommodation charges. 
  • Not valid for sleeping car accommodations. (Also doesn’t seem to actually be the case. Amtrak.com and multiple phone agents I’ve booked tickets through have had no issue applying companion coupons to a second passenger’s rail fare)
  • Other restrictions may apply.
So there are those two points that aren’t strictly correct, but everything else does seem to be, so there you are. :)

Posted this in the thread for my upcoming New Orleans trip, but it has bearing here.

...I did try to upgrade to a Bedroom on the CONO, since the room itself seemed to be only $50 more for a 20 hour ride, but it turns out that companion coupons only work for Roomettes. I had noticed this online, but thought it was just a glitch with Arrow and that the agent wouldn't have that issue, but I was wrong. I was skeptical when the agent said that at first, but came to accept it upon hearing her read from the agents' official companion coupon restrictions list that it doesn't work for Accessible/Family/Bedrooms. Figures that Amtrak has their own set of different, private coupon restrictions that for some reason isn't visible to customers (she said as such). Sigh.
What is interesting is that it seems like the actual coupon restrictions don't have a "not valid for sleeper travel" restriction, per se. Instead it's just an "only valid for Roomettes" restriction. I don't know why they have two sets of restrictions for the same type of coupon, but there it is. :wacko:

I have made a reservation using a companion coupon. Am I correct in thinking that I cannot use any upgrade coupons on this trip since the restrictions say that an upgrade coupon cannot be combined with other coupons? That seems to be the straightforward language of the restriction but since this is Amtrak I thought I would ask. Thanks.

Correct. If you want to upgrade your travel you would pay for the upgrade. For instance your coach fare is free but the Business Class Upgrade fee is paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does everyone who has an agr account receives companion coupons and/or other coupons? Or is it just for higher levels?

MODERATOR NOTE: there were numerous threads regarding upgrade, companion and lounge coupons with posts by members who have coupons available, who are seeking coupons and who have questions. We have merged most of the threads into this one, which was re-titled and pinned. Please note we "locked" some of the older threads (within the last year) where questions were asked and answered and/or all the coupons have expired. Very old threads were ignored. Please post any new requests, etc. in this thread.
Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised by a change in the Amtrak app that allows you to apply upgrade coupons to your reservation without having to sit on the phone for a long time or stand in line at a ticket counter. the whole transaction was completed with two extra clicks.

Bravo to Amtrak for this improvement to the customer experience.

Coupons appear to have a unique code. I assume, since this thread exists, that there is no problem with one person using another person's coupon with its unique code. If either of my assumptions are off base, please correct them. If the first assumption (unique code) is correct, would someone please discuss what it means to AGR if a coupon is used by someone to whom it was not issued and what PII (Personally Identifiable Information) concerns might exist? Thank you.

Coupons appear to have a unique code. I assume, since this thread exists, that there is no problem with one person using another person's coupon with its unique code. If either of my assumptions are off base, please correct them. If the first assumption (unique code) is correct, would someone please discuss what it means to AGR if a coupon is used by someone to whom it was not issued and what PII (Personally Identifiable Information) concerns might exist? Thank you.

Pretty much spot on. AGR allows coupons to be given to friends and or family members, but they can NOT be sold. Selling them is a terms and conditions violation that can lead to your account being closed.

I got the Amtrak World Mastercard and they sent me a free lounge pass. Excuse my ignorance, but is it valid for everyone on my reservation or only for me?

Hello, I am new here but have taken quite a few trips on several (different) Amtrak trains since 2012 (immigrant).

Now a client has booked me on the Acela in Business Class, and I read that I won't get access to the lounges unless I upgrade to First. I looked into my reservation under "modify trip" but have not found any option to upgrade my trip. It is registered with my membership number but since I have not booked it myself, it seems it doesn't qualify for an upgrade.

Would a coupon help me?
Does anyone have a spare one?

My trip is on Oct 8 from NYP to WAS.

Or am I missing something? Why don't they offer me an easy way to upgrade, like every airline does?

Guest Rewards coupons can only be applied within 48 hours of departure or 12 hours of departure depending on the coupon. Since your trip is October 8th you are well outside of those requirements. You also need a coupon. If you want to upgrade the trip now without a coupon you are more then welcome to call Amtrak to do so.

Back