Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a general question about upgrade and companion passes. I used to have many of these and now have none. I haven't been traveling much in the last year, and also I no longer have the BOA Amtrak card (wish I could get another but I cannot.) Is that the only way upgrade and companion passes are issued? (or lounge - but I'm not as concerned about that.) I hope someone can enlighten me, if they know, on WHAT generates these passes and/or coupons. I hope it's not only the BOA card, because I cannot get another.

I have a general question about upgrade and companion passes. I used to have many of these and now have none. I haven't been traveling much in the last year, and also I no longer have the BOA Amtrak card (wish I could get another but I cannot.) Is that the only way upgrade and companion passes are issued? (or lounge - but I'm not as concerned about that.) I hope someone can enlighten me, if they know, on WHAT generates these passes and/or coupons. I hope it's not only the BOA card, because I cannot get another.
You get them from achieving status levels. You can see the amounts here: https://www.amtrak.com/guestrewards/member-benefits.html

You also get one for having the credit card, so that's all you're missing on that one.

[companion coupons may be used for roomettes now] ...that seems to be a change. For the better.

They're also usable on business class and Acela first class (after paying the upcharge, so they're still only *worth* a coach ticket).

This makes companion coupons a lot more usable.

I still haven't managed to use an upgrade coupon, due to the fact that business class is invariably sold out outside the NEC on the routes I travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, they have announced extensions. I got an email today from AGR that reconfirmed the following: (Note that the email I recieved may not apply to all AGR members account AGR status or number of points and/or coupons in my account.)

Upgrades and Coupons – If you have earned an upgrade, companion coupon or discount coupon, we want to give you additional time to use them. Therefore, we have paused the expiration of coupons currently in your account through September 25, 2020.

Point Expiration – We are pausing the expiration of points through September 25, 2020.

Travel Flexibility – We are waiving change fees on all new or existing reservations made before May 31, 2020, including reservations booked with points, so you can book your future travel with confidence knowing your reservations are flexible.

I'm not sure if this has been answered in this thread, probably has but there are a lot of replies. And I wouldn't be surprised if there have been changes.

As a Select member, it says I get 2 One-Class upgrades.

Would these count for upgrading from Coach to Business on the Starlight? I know they aren't available for sleeper upgrades.
How do I redeem/use them?
If I have a party of 2, would I need to use both to upgrade both people in the party or just one?

I'm not sure if this has been answered in this thread, probably has but there are a lot of replies. And I wouldn't be surprised if there have been changes.

As a Select member, it says I get 2 One-Class upgrades.

Would these count for upgrading from Coach to Business on the Starlight? I know they aren't available for sleeper upgrades.
How do I redeem/use them?
If I have a party of 2, would I need to use both to upgrade both people in the party or just one?
Each coupon upgrades one fare. You call (preferably with the AGR # you got) to apply the coupon within the time of whatever the coupon says, often 12, 24, or 48 hours. Yes they do BC on the Starlight, but it depends which fare class you bought, is that right folks? Can the Saver fares still be upgraded, or just the Value ones?

Has anyone had experience upgrading the 50th anniversary sale fares with a coupon? I assume not allowed.

Each coupon upgrades one fare. You call (preferably with the AGR # you got) to apply the coupon within the time of whatever the coupon says, often 12, 24, or 48 hours. Yes they do BC on the Starlight, but it depends which fare class you bought, is that right folks? Can the Saver fares still be upgraded, or just the Value ones?
Thanks for the info. Where do I see them? Are they mailed? Can they been seen online?

Thanks for the info. Where do I see them? Are they mailed? Can they been seen online?
The only coupons that are paper and have to be mailed are the lounge coupons. The rest of them are electronic and stored in your Amtrak account under "My Coupons".

If anyone happens to have a spare upgrade coupon or (ideally) two that are expiring in the coming days/weeks [...]
My upgrade coupons say "Apply within 48 hours of departure." Are there other coupons that can be applied further in advance?

My upgrade coupons say they're not valid on these services: Adirondack®, Auto Train®, California Zephyr®, Capitol Limited®, Cardinal®, City of New Orleans®, Crescent®, Empire Builder®, Keystone Service®, Lake Shore Limited®, Silver Meteor®, Silver Star®, Southwest Chief®, Sunset Limited®, Texas Eagle®, and train/Thruway series 7000 – 8999.

Some of those have business class. Is it just because they're LD trains, meaning you can't upgrade to a sleeper, and you can still upgrade from coach to BC on the LSL Boston section with the split cafe/BC car or is that still not allowed? I understand if the Adirondack doesn't accept it since it's state supported but the other NY state trains aren't listed. The Coast Starlight has BC and also isn't listed.

Adirondack does not accept it because it does not have BC service. Thanks to CBP/CBSA even if the train might have the split BC/Cafe car, no BC tickets are sold on that train AFAIR. Een though people with Coach tickets may help themselves to the BC seats if present, the entire car is cleared of passengers before the border crossing. The Agents set up shop in that car for secondary inspections.

I don't know why the upgrade coupon is listed as not valid on the LSL, but business class always sells out on the LSL so in practice it wouldn't work anyway.

I don't know why the upgrade coupon is listed as not valid on the LSL, but business class always sells out on the LSL so in practice it wouldn't work anyway.
You're right that it often does sell out, but this time it didn't :)

Does anyone have any upgrade coupons they don't intend to use before they expire?

I have an upgrade coupon that I got from my World credit card signup. I’m taking a trip to DC with my girlfriend in March. Going on Acela business on the way down and NE Regional coach on the way back. Can we use the upgrade coupon to move both of us to NE Regional business on the way back? Or is just for one person?

I have an upgrade coupon that I got from my World credit card signup. I’m taking a trip to DC with my girlfriend in March. Going on Acela business on the way down and NE Regional coach on the way back. Can we use the upgrade coupon to move both of us to NE Regional business on the way back? Or is just for one person?
Upgrade coupons are just for one person, but maybe someone will post an upgrade coupon here before March. I'd highly recommend using the coupon(s) to upgrade to Acela First Class instead of NER Business. NER BC isn't very different than coach, just curtains, a little more legroom, a footrest, quieter as it's at the end of the train and you can look out the back, and I think one non-alcoholic beverage. Acela First gives you a meal and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks with at-seat service.

Upgrade coupons are just for one person, but maybe someone will post an upgrade coupon here before March. I'd highly recommend using the coupon(s) to upgrade to Acela First Class instead of NER Business. NER BC isn't very different than coach, just curtains, a little more legroom, a footrest, quieter as it's at the end of the train and you can look out the back, and I think one non-alcoholic beverage. Acela First gives you a meal and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks with at-seat service.
I booked the Acela tickets during the sale they had last week, and unfortunately upgrades weren't allowed as part of the terms. Taking the regional back on Sunday, which allows upgrades since the sale didn't include Sunday travel.

Has anyone used an upgrade coupon on a Saver fare recently? I know the fare rules say upgrade coupons aren't allowed but my experience is I was able to in the past. Trying to book a trip and just wanted to make sure.

Can I use the Amtrak app to upgrade using an upgrade coupon or do I have to call?

You can use the app. If your reservation is in there, tap Trip Tools, then Upgrade (only available within 48 hours of departure, which is the longest coupon time) and it'll present the coupons and their expiration dates for ones in your account, and you'll also be able to type in a different number as well.

How does one actually use an upgrade coupon? For example if I reserved a trip on Acela BC and wanted to use my AGR coupon to upgrade to FC do I make the BC reservation and then apply the upgrade and if so how?
Upgrade coupons are either valid to apply 12 or 48 hours prior to departure; look on your online account to see. The easiest way is to use the app. Tap the Trip Tools button and if it's within 48 hours, an "Upgrade" option will be present. It will bring you to a menu with your upgrade coupons, their numbers, and their validity by hours prior to departure. Pick one (check your online account to see which expires first) and it'll apply and send you a new eticket email as well as immediately update your ticket in the app.

Calling AGR or talking to a station agent also works, but takes longer and usually you want to do it the second you're under the 12 or 48 hour mark.

Be aware that it's totally possible for Acela First to sell out before you're able to use your coupon, but that's part of the risk. Depends on the station pair, time of day, day of week, and time of year.

Good luck!

If you book a trip with two people, can you add on a companion coupon later and get some of the money back?

Also, I think, but may be wrong, that I heard that upgrade coupons can now be used to upgrade from coach to rooms. Can they be used from roomette to bedrooms?

Back