Upgrade/Companion/Lounge Coupons: seeking, available, questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. I think it would be canceled and rebooked at the current fare.

2. I don't think coupons will ever be eligible for upgrades from coach to sleeper. I don't think they're eligible for roomette->bedroom either, but BidUps can do that.

Unless you're in Chicago, where BC passengers are allowed to use the lounge 😅

Of course, there's no Acela Business Class running to Chicago. Although I'd be happy to lose lounge access if it meant that there was 150mph rail service out of Chicago!

You can see the latest on who can purchase lounge passes where on this page:

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges
Specifically, as of May 29, 2020 the situation is:

Purchasing Day Passes

Business Class passengers can buy day passes for the lounges at Philadelphia - William H Gray III 30th Street Station and Boston - South Station for $35 per day, or $50 per day at New York - Moynihan Train Hall. Speak with a uniformed employee at those stations for more information.

All passengers can buy a day pass to the lounge in Chicago - Union Station, if it's not already included with your reservation, for $35 per day. Just see a station agent when you get there.

Normal eligibility is:

Who is Eligible for Lounge Access?

Amtrak Guest Rewards members traveling with a same-day Amtrak ticket and valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
Amtrak Business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) may use the lounges in Chicago, Los Angeles, Portland and St. Louis.
Complimentary Single-Visit Station Lounge Pass holders may access ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and Unstaffed Lounge locations.
Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the reservation. Provide your reservation number to the Amtrak representative upon entry.
Due to space restrictions, private car owners and their groups are not permitted in the Los Angeles - Union Station Metropolitan Lounge.

Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?
Only if I would use all five of them before they expire. I aim to get at least 2.5 cents per point, so 5000 points would be $125, or $25 per pass. They do allow one travel companion or a family, so if I'm traveling with someone that can be useful. But my home station of MSP only has an extremely mediocre first class waiting area, which I'd value access to at about $1, and many of my longer trips are in classes of service that grant lounge access anyways, so I'd probably only use a couple before they expire.

If Amtrak offered a one-pass visit, even for 1500 or 2000 points, I'd consider it in some circumstances, especially if they were digital. But 5 passes is too much for me to use, and it's a bit of a hassle to keep track of the paper passes for a year anyways.

I was just wondering if anyone has any lounge passes they won’t be using for a trip I am taking to NYC in August. Also in general do you guys think it’s worth the 5000 points it costs to buy single day passes ?
Remember that even with the Lounge Pass, you must have a same day Amtrak ticket.

If you are not Traveling the day you want to visit the Lounge, a work around is to buy a One Way Coach ticket on a Late Train from NYP to Newark Penn Station(NWK) for $14, then once you're in the Lounge Cancel it and receive a Voucher you can use for a future trip.

Remember that even with the Lounge Pass, you must have a same day Amtrak ticket.

If you are not Traveling the day you want to visit the Lounge, a work around is to buy a One Way Coach ticket on a Late Train from NYP to Newark Penn Station(NWK) for $14, then once you're in the Lounge Cancel it and receive a Voucher you can use for a future trip.
Just be aware that to use a purchased pass you need to have a Business Class ticket to use the Lounge at NYP.

I believe complementary passes can be used with a Coach ticket.

Can select plus passengers bring a companion into the lounge with them using their card?

I have some 10% off coupons.
It should be noted (and correct me if I am wrong), the 10% is only off the rail fare (not accommodation fare) and is similar to the RPA and senior discounts (which discounts cannot be stacked). Please let us know when you have given away your coupons. Thanks.

A final note, probably for a different topic thread: What good is the AGR Lounge Card, if you can only use it if you have a same-day sleeping car reservation. Business Class in many lounges now has a $25 fee to use the lounge in addition to the same-day ticket. Final question: Who are the Guests in the Amtrak Guest Rewards program?
As I understand it, you need a ticket for same day travel to get into a lounge using a lounge pass. It doesn't need to be a sleeper ticket.

A sleeper ticket gets you into the lounge without a lounge pass.

I would love to have those upgrade coupons for round trip from Atlanta to San Antonio, then to San Diego and all the way back to Atlanta this coming April.
Thank you very much
The upgrade coupons are no good for upgrading to Sleeper though. If the train has no Business Class, which is most long distance trains, then there is no use for an upgrade coupon on that train.

Back