Upgrades California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BuffaloBoy

Service Attendant
I know that the subject of on-board upgrades has been beaten to death, and I probably wouldnt try it, so I have a different question. A friend is bringing me out to Richmond, VA from SLC to house-sit and has purchased a straight thru trip in coach (ouch!). I have made this trip 3 times before but always took a day off in a Chicago hotel to recharge my batteries. What I would like to do is start my trip from SLC in coach as planned and try to upgrade to a sleeper (if one is available) from Denver to Chicago and pay out of my own pocket. The reason is, it costs half as much as it would from SLC and I could still get a full nights sleep and a couple meals. Is it possible to do this with the Amtrak station agent or Amtrak customer service? I really don't want the hassle of trying to do it onboard with the conductor. Any advice would be appreciated as I have never tried this scenario before.

SLC-CHI-WAS-RVR

If you call ACS, a knowledgeable and experienced agent should be able to upgrade you for the portions you want. I have made changes a couple times both at the station and by calling. I wouldn't wait too long in case inventory becomes Sold Out.

I recent did something similar - coach, sleeper between Denver and Reno, then coach to my destination. On my return - coach, sleeper between Reno and Denver, coach.

Sometime during the day before you reach Denver you might want to check in with the Conductor to find out how best to change accommodations in Denver.

At the least, you will have to get from your coach car back to the sleeper berth car your sleeper is in, and they may want you to go further towards the station to get in line with sleeper passengers boarding there in Denver.

You might also check to see if the sleeper you are assigned to is being used between Granby and Denver, because they might let you 'move in' to your sleeper berth early. If the berth is occupied between Granby and Denver it may take the TA-SC some time to get the berth ready for you.

Also. If the train is running late you should be able to get dinner in the dining car on your sleeper reservation before you get to Denver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I got it booked, though at a higher cost than Amsnag showed me, but it is still cheaper than my usual stays in CHI! Particular thanks to KmH for answering my next question before I asked it and boxcarsyix for saving me some dinner money! I travel light so making the move will be painless for me and the crew. I think on the way back I will take the LSL for old times sake to see the changes since I worked Bflo-Cleveland. I will definitely bring my Ipad and provide a trip report!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back