Urgent Baggage Packing Requirements

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Beginning of post is back round and answers I have already received to other questions. Skip to last paragraph for the pertinent questions:

I will be traveling with the Southwest Chief from Arizona to Chicago before a layover of 2 days there and then my trip will continue to Boston via the Lake Shore Limited.

I am aware that checked baggage is not allowed on my exact train past Albany however I've worked it out with the station attendants in Flagstaff to route my bags through New York Penn and then up to Boston that direction. Their system said it would let him do it. I'm aware of some of the risks of a transporting baggage with Amtrak and packages going missing so I've equipped all of my luggage with Apple Air tags. All luggage I have is within size/weigh limits.

My question is a more general question about what types of bag or box are allowed on amtrak. I have at least two suitcases however I have two plastic totes which I would like to bring as well. I'm moving my stuff back from University. On Amtrak's website there's a confusing post which states that plastic totes are not allowed in any form and that boxes are provided if you have an insufficient packaging. This doesn't make any sense to me, however, as the totes are more sturdy and have handles. Here is the link that covers proper baggage packing ( Packing Your Luggage When Traveling on Amtrak ).

Questions:

Are plastic totes allowed and are cardboard boxes allowed? Does everything need to be in a proper suitcase or duffel bag? How much flexibility is in these policies?

I'm not sure about the plastic totes and cardboard box rules-I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that-but I know that unfortunately yes, you are correct that the Lake Shore Limited east of Albany (448/449) hasn't had a baggage car for quite a while. While the agents would usually be correct, the train they would usually send your baggage on between New York and Boston, Northeast Regional #65/66/67, the only train northeast of New York on the Northeast Corridor with a baggage car and only current train serving Boston with a baggage car, is canceled now through the end of May due to staffing shortages. Let me know if I can help.

I'm not sure about the plastic totes and cardboard box rules-I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that-but I know that unfortunately yes, you are correct that the Lake Shore Limited east of Albany (448/449) hasn't had a baggage car for quite a while. While the agents would usually be correct, the train they would usually send your baggage on between New York and Boston, Northeast Regional #65/66/67, the only train northeast of New York on the Northeast Corridor with a baggage car and only current train serving Boston with a baggage car, is canceled now through the end of May due to staffing shortages. Let me know if I can help.
Seriously? That's a big problem for me, I have a lot of stuff to move. What should I do?

Since things are so screwed up with Covid, do you think they'd let us transfer that stuff onboard as normal baggage?

Since things are so screwed up with Covid, do you think they'd let us transfer that stuff onboard as normal baggage?
It sounds like you have a lot of baggage; I don't think that would fit onboard. I'm so sorry the agents in Flagstaff gave you incorrect information and false hope.

This is why Amtrak needs to restart its Express baggage service.

Um. the only train that carries checked baggage from New York to Boston is Northeast Regional #66, the overnight train. this train is suspended until at least late March, presumably because of staffing issues, and I read a discussion here that it might remain suspended until May. Thus, no checked baggage at all in or out of Boston.

Yes I think you should revise your plans. I would suggest going to a thrift store such as Goodwill and buying some used luggage and maybe a trunk which could be shipped by UPS or Fedex. Don't depend on Amtrak for getting your stuff home.
We've begun revising our plan. My grandma lives in Buffalo/Niagara Falls area of NY. We will have the bags checked to one of these stations and then an uncle will pick up the stuff and transport it to my gms house. Most of it is stuff that I want, but don't urgently need. We will each put more important items in our suitcases and take them on as carryons in Chicago. We just don't want to spend so much on shipping.

And if anyone can answer my earlier question on totes or boxes, I would Greatly appreciate. I'm gonna make this work 😂.

Can you take a photo of the "tote" to the station agent? It's possible that the ones not allowed are the kind with snap-on lids, which would not be secure. If your "totes" are more like a plastic TRUNK with handles and proper latches, they may well be allowed (in fact, I would just call it a "trunk" and make it plain that it should not be confused with a cheap tote)..

You should be able to take the full allowance of carry-on luggage on the Boston section of the LSL. That means pretty much all that each person can reasonably carry without assistance. If there are two of you, and your bags are too big to be lifted into the luggage space above the hallway (which will easily hold two regular airplane carryon-size bags), the car attendant will find space for them in an unused room or in coach. They may not WANT to, but it's your right to take as much as Amtrak allows.

I regularly travel the LSL Boston section, and I take a large roller bag, a small backpack, and a canvas tote bag with me. Because I am traveling alone, I sleep "upstairs" and leave my big bag on the unused passenger seat. But even if there were two of us, I would still have a right to have that big bag on the train (it meets their standards), and staff would have to help me figure out where to put it.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.

Be aware that Amtrak has a category of "Household and Automotive items" on their list of prohibited items.
Household and automotive items, including but not limited to antiques, appliances, artwork, furniture, machinery and car parts, powered tools, silverware, tires, and tow bars.

Don't know what their criteria is for determining such but, plastic totes and cardboard boxes might be a red flag.
Examples of Unsuitable Containers
original

At the head of the page: The following prohibited items list is not exhaustive. Any item that is similar to the prohibited items below, even if not specifically mentioned, is also prohibited. Amtrak personnel may determine if an item not mentioned in this list is prohibited.
https://www.amtrak.com/prohibited-items
Good luck getting this coordinated for your trip.

Can you take a photo of the "tote" to the station agent? It's possible that the ones not allowed are the kind with snap-on lids, which would not be secure. If your "totes" are more like a plastic TRUNK with handles and proper latches, they may well be allowed (in fact, I would just call it a "trunk" and make it plain that it should not be confused with a cheap tote)..

You should be able to take the full allowance of carry-on luggage on the Boston section of the LSL. That means pretty much all that each person can reasonably carry without assistance. If there are two of you, and your bags are too big to be lifted into the luggage space above the hallway (which will easily hold two regular airplane carryon-size bags), the car attendant will find space for them in an unused room or in coach. They may not WANT to, but it's your right to take as much as Amtrak allows.

I regularly travel the LSL Boston section, and I take a large roller bag, a small backpack, and a canvas tote bag with me. Because I am traveling alone, I sleep "upstairs" and leave my big bag on the unused passenger seat. But even if there were two of us, I would still have a right to have that big bag on the train (it meets their standards), and staff would have to help me figure out where to put it.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you.
So I was apparently worrying about the wrong thing. The station attendant stated that they accept totes, as long as they are the sturdy and reinforced kind. This is what we had, so it was no issue.

What is an issue is rather stupid. The agent here in Flagstaff will not let us check bags to Buffalo only. He stated that we must travel the entire distance that our bags do and that our bags cannot leave earlier. I am currently trying to negotiate with Amtrak support to spilt up our itinerary to make it look like we end in Buffalo and start again on a new ticket. I'm also concerned that they won't let my uncle pick up the bags. We will see.

What is an issue is rather stupid. The agent here in Flagstaff will not let us check bags to Buffalo only. He stated that we must travel the entire distance that our bags do and that our bags cannot leave earlier.
Nothing at all stupid about it. IIRC, this was implemented after 9/11 as a safety measure to prevent a terrorist from getting out of harms way from any explosive device in his/her checked luggage.

IF you do manage to figure out a way to check your baggage to Buffalo and then get back on / stay on the train to Boston, be sure to hand your uncle your part of the checked baggage stub. Amtrak will not let you pick it up unless you can show that it is yours, so he must have it to claim your bags.

Nothing at all stupid about it. IIRC, this was implemented after 9/11 as a safety measure to prevent a terrorist from getting out of harms way from any explosive device in his/her checked luggage.
Except that I've taken many LD Amtrak trips where my checked baggage goes out a day or two before the trip, or has been routed by a different train than the one I'm riding. Security considerations for checked baggage on a train is different from that on a plane. on the train if the hypothetical nefarious terrorist manages to detonate a bomb, all that goes up is the baggage car, not the whole train. An explosion in the baggage compartment of an airplane in flight has, of course, much more serious consequences. (One exception is when superliner trains omit the baggage car and carry the bags in a baggage-coach. (This is a superliner coach with a baggage compartment where the lower-level seating should be.)

I would be more worried about a hypothetical nefarious terrorist bringing a bomb in their carry-on bags, and then get off the train at the stop before the scheduled detonation, leaving the bag in the overhead rack. But, please, no TSA security theater at our train stations. There must be a better way to ensure security on board.

Consider sending your stuff home via UPS maybe.
I just did that yesterday. I had to buy a new ski coat on this trip (long story), and I knew there wouldn't be enough room in my bag for that and all my bulky winter clothes. So I stuck all the clothes in a bag and on my way back to Boston, found a UPS store in Falmouth, Maine that took care of the whole thing. I showed them the bag, they got a box from the back that fit the bag of clothes, the polite clerk sealed it all up, weighed it, labeled it, and off it went, out of my hair. I will admit, it was a bit pricey at $34 for the shipping and something like $15 for the box and packing service. But they're claiming it's 2-day ground delivery. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Except that I've taken many LD Amtrak trips where my checked baggage goes out a day or two before the trip, or has been routed by a different train than the one I'm riding.

I've had my checked bags take a different flight from me on several different occasions -- the key is "voluntary separation" versus "involuntary separation," that is, whether or not you intend for your bags to take a different itinerary from you.

I've had my checked bags take a different flight from me on several different occasions -- the key is "voluntary separation" versus "involuntary separation," that is, whether or not you intend for your bags to take a different itinerary from you.
The problem is largely solved now. The agent here in Chicago said that there is no issue with our bags leaving the train in Buffalo, aka, earlier than our final stop in Boston. He said that the Flagstaff guy didn't know what he was talking about.

So to summarize, it is possible to ship checked baggage in totes, so long as they are the sturdy and sealable kind (locking latches or zip-ties). Boxes are also for sale by Amtrak for $5 that can go onboard. Not very large, however. It is also possible to ship baggage to a stop before your final destination if checked baggage is not available at your final destination. Finally, Chicago Union does offer baggage storage for 24 hours for $10 per bag. They were nice enough to do ours for free, and a tip. Then tomorrow we will check the bags (24 hours early) as we have a two day layover.

I do recommend Amtrak for baggage, airtags are a good idea, we're just happy to get our baggage closer to home.

The problem is largely solved now. The agent here in Chicago said that there is no issue with our bags leaving the train in Buffalo, aka, earlier than our final stop in Boston. He said that the Flagstaff guy didn't know what he was talking about.

So to summarize, it is possible to ship checked baggage in totes, so long as they are the sturdy and sealable kind (locking latches or zip-ties). Boxes are also for sale by Amtrak for $5 that can go onboard. Not very large, however. It is also possible to ship baggage to a stop before your final destination if checked baggage is not available at your final destination. Finally, Chicago Union does offer baggage storage for 24 hours for $10 per bag. They were nice enough to do ours for free, and a tip. Then tomorrow we will check the bags (24 hours early) as we have a two day layover.

I do recommend Amtrak for baggage, airtags are a good idea, we're just happy to get our baggage closer to home.
So as an update to this whole saga...it turns out that the guy yesterday was partially incorrect. The woman working at the counter this evening said he was new and didn't know what the h*ll he was talking about. The baggage apparently does have to be checked to our final destination if allowed, even when the destination is before. When I went to check my bags today, it was a struggle to get them checked to Buffalo. They did it on the express condition that I not tell anyone, so there is a good possibility that I delete the last post. On the plus side, I did get a tour of the baggage department and their 100 year old carts.

My new recommendation is not to check bags if your final destination is Boston, until normal service is restored or Express Freight service returns. I'd say your fine most other destinations...but Boston seems to get the short straw. My bags will go out tomorrow, I can hope.

Attachments

• IMG_20220309_185609758.jpg
    IMG_20220309_185609758.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 10
The woman working at the counter this evening said he was new and didn't know what the h*ll he was talking about. The baggage apparently does have to be checked to our final destination if allowed, even when the destination is before.
Since at least 2010, I've been checking my ski gear from Boston to Baltimore on the basis of a Boston to Washington ticket. This was very convenient, as it allowed me to ride right to the office upon arrival and pick up my bulky baggage that evening on my way home from work when my wife would be waiting with the car. I never had any problem with this. It's been a couple of years since I last did this, because now that I'm retired, I now ride home straight to Baltimore. But I do check my bags the night before, and there's also no problem with that.

Of course, this year, with no baggage service to Boston, I had to haul my gear with me, and I left the skis at home. My bag was so overstuffed that I ended up sending half the bulky clothing home separately via. UPS, which is something I might do on future trips.

I just did that yesterday. I had to buy a new ski coat on this trip (long story), and I knew there wouldn't be enough room in my bag for that and all my bulky winter clothes. So I stuck all the clothes in a bag and on my way back to Boston, found a UPS store in Falmouth, Maine that took care of the whole thing. I showed them the bag, they got a box from the back that fit the bag of clothes, the polite clerk sealed it all up, weighed it, labeled it, and off it went, out of my hair. I will admit, it was a bit pricey at $34 for the shipping and something like $15 for the box and packing service. But they're claiming it's 2-day ground delivery. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
The box arrived at my house today. This was an excellent idea. On my next trip that involves a train ride, a road trip, and bulky gear, I'm just going to pack an extra box and send it UPS to my first hotel stop to hold for my arrival.

The box arrived at my house today. This was an excellent idea. On my next trip that involves a train ride, a road trip, and bulky gear, I'm just going to pack an extra box and send it UPS to my first hotel stop to hold for my arrival.
The issue for me with the stuff I needed to bring, was weight. I find that the private shipping companies are unaffordable for sending heavy packages and hence why I took the train. I did, however, send all of my books home with media mail. This is a great way to send books for dirt cheap. Even if I were shipping all of these boxes, I would use the postal service.

That said, my bags did arrive in Buffalo without a hitch. My uncle came and picked them up without problem. All things considered, I was able to make it work. In normal times, I would recommend sending items with train. The employees at Amtrak were fairly easy to work with, I just wish I was doing this all a few years ago.

The issue for me with the stuff I needed to bring, was weight. I find that the private shipping companies are unaffordable for sending heavy packages and hence why I took the train. I did, however, send all of my books home with media mail. This is a great way to send books for dirt cheap. Even if I were shipping all of these boxes, I would use the postal service.

That said, my bags did arrive in Buffalo without a hitch. My uncle came and picked them up without problem. All things considered, I was able to make it work. In normal times, I would recommend sending items with train. The employees at Amtrak were fairly easy to work with, I just wish I was doing this all a few years ago.
I'm glad it worked out for you . I guess your boxes fit their limits. Did you inquire how much they charged for additional boxes? I know they have a standard fee for bicycle boxes which is very reasonable.

I'm glad it worked out for you . I guess your boxes fit their limits. Did you inquire how much they charged for additional boxes? I know they have a standard fee for bicycle boxes which is very reasonable.
To purchase a cardboard box from Amtrak would've been $5. Above the baggage limit is $20 per bag up to the secondary limit. That is better stated on their website.

Back