US railroad labor issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can’t the employees and the railroads just talk to each other, and work thing out with the need of the Congress to get involved? I get the impasse arguments, but a work stoppage does wonders to get people motivated to negotiate.

Personal a strike would be very beneficial. Fuel price would drop, freight rates would go up. This is a slow period for trucking. The Christmas stuff is at the stores. Only the package deliver folks are working hard.

Received new replies

President Biden
@POTUS
·
7m

United States government official
I'm calling on Congress to pass legislation immediately to adopt the Tentative Agreement between railroad workers and operators. Let me be clear: a rail shutdown would devastate our economy. Without freight rail, many U.S. industries would shut down.
While I understand the reasoning behind the Presidents request, ( Economics)I still support the Freight Railroad Workers 100%!

But why won't he and the Unions insist that the Bill include provisions requiring the Railroads to offer Sick Leave and More Rest between runs??

Marking Off for Health Reasons without Discipline should be a Right, not a Privilege.

To outsiders it does not make sense , but a railroader unlike others, can't just take few hours off to go to Doctor he/she has to mark of for entire shift.
Even to non-operations railroaders it is not in their thinking .
As for how this is playing out ?? you could have all come to conclusion that claiming to be essential workers, also kind of burned the possibility of a strike.
specially while our country is trying to recover from covid setbacks and transportation isues.

CNN has been giving heavy coverage to Biden's request to Congress today.

Apparently, both parties' leaders in the House and Senate have said they will vote to enforce the settlement. It will likely pass in the House. But in the Senate, unanimous consent is required to expedite a vote. Some senators are saying they're not comfortable with it. It takes only one senator dissenting to delay the vote, and it's unclear whether the vote would take place before the strike deadline if it were to be delayed.

CNN is still saying the strike deadline is 12/9. If the union leader who said everyone had agreed to 12/15 can be taken at his word, perhaps there is less chance of a Senate vote being delayed past the deadline.

Essential business maybe, but the employees need to take care of themselves too. Don’t think upper management has a problem visiting the dentist.

So essentially business yes, but there so many ways to deal with this if they were motivated to do so.

I will stick with the 28 days on, 28 days off schedule. Work hard, play hard.

To outsiders it does not make sense , but a railroader unlike others, can't just take few hours off to go to Doctor he/she has to mark of for entire shift.
Even to non-operations railroaders it is not in their thinking .
there use to be an extra board for this reason. you'd take spare trains or cover for crews who couldn't make it. typically given to the newest crews. Meanwhile as a 20 year employee you'd could pick the daily run that got you back home every night or at least every other

Airlines have plan stuff out as best they can for 1-2 months no reason railroads can't do the same

Bernie Sanders says he will block it in the Senate if a provision isn't added to give 7 paid sick days. I don't want to see a strike but I say good for him. Maybe that will force the right kind of movement in favor of the workers, who deserve better than they are getting now.

As much as I’d like to see it be forced down the roads throat - I don’t think they’d have to votes to add that. And I suspect the September agreement will get pushed - with inflation and all the other supply chain problems I don’t see Congress having the appetite to just allow a strike to go ahead which would probably be the only way for the workers to get the 7 days.

As much as I’d like to see it be forced down the roads throat - I don’t think they’d have to votes to add that. And I suspect the September agreement will get pushed - with inflation and all the other supply chain problems I don’t see Congress having the appetite to just allow a strike to go ahead which would probably be the only way for the workers to get the 7 days.
there are some members of the GOP have said they would support Sanders plans now will they vote that way is another story.

This is new -- from Politico:

On Tuesday evening, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the chamber will vote on legislation Wednesday to adopt the tentative agreement and then have a separate vote to add seven days of paid sick leave to it, after some Democrats threatened to vote against a bill that did not include additional sick leave. The package will then be sent to the Senate.​
If the House can pass an amendment to add sick leave before sending the bill to the Senate, that would appease the senators expressing concern about that issue. The question is whether that would cause other senators to oppose a quick vote.

The full Politico article:
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/29/railroad-workers-strike-plan-00071113

This is new -- from Politico:

On Tuesday evening, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the chamber will vote on legislation Wednesday to adopt the tentative agreement and then have a separate vote to add seven days of paid sick leave to it, after some Democrats threatened to vote against a bill that did not include additional sick leave. The package will then be sent to the Senate.​
If the House can pass an amendment to add sick leave before sending the bill to the Senate, that would appease the senators expressing concern about that issue. The question is whether that would cause other senators to oppose a quick vote.

The full Politico article:
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/29/railroad-workers-strike-plan-00071113
The bigger issue is how the Senate Republicans would react if that amendment goes in - it could be a much bigger thing than just delaying a quick vote. If the amendment is a non starter for McConnell and he then whips his caucus into a filibuster it could be tricky to get the 60 votes.

Received today from BMWED 11/29/2022

WHITE HOUSE DECISION TO FORCE TENTATIVE AGREEMENT DOES NOT ADDRESS RAIL INDUSTRY DISEASE
"The Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employes Division of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters is deeply disappointed by and disagrees with United States President Joseph R. Biden’s statement, calling upon Congress to pass legislation that would adopt tentative agreements between Railroad Workers and railroads that do not include paid sick days for Railroad Workers.

It is not enough to “share workers’ concerns.” (My personal opinion: Sort of like "thoughts and prayers.") A call to Congress to act immediately to pass legislation that adopts tentative agreements that exclude paid sick leave ignores the Railroad Workers’ concerns. It both denies Railroad Workers their right to strike while also denying them of the benefit they would likely otherwise obtain if they were not denied their right to strike.

Additionally, passing legislation to adopt tentative agreements that exclude paid sick leave for Railroad Workers will not address rail service issues. Rather, it will worsen supply chain issues and further sicken, infuriate, and disenfranchise Railroad Workers as they continue shouldering the burdens of the railroads’ mismanagement. Indeed, the big corporations, the monopolies that control America – the robber baron railroads – have again profiteered from the problem they created and shifted the consequences of it onto the Railroad Workers, the customers, and the general public. This cannot continue. There must be a change.

Regardless of what happens next, President Biden, Congress and the railroads need to know that this problem is not going away soon. The railroad is not a place to work while you’re sick. It’s dangerous. It requires full concentration, situational awareness, and decision-making. Because carrier management decided to egregiously reduce workforce, it’s more dangerous than ever, and the onus of that rests with them.

BMWED calls upon President Biden and any member of Congress that truly supports the Working Class to act swiftly by passing any sort of reforms and regulations that will provide paid sick leave for all Railroad Workers. BMWED will continue fighting for paid sick days for every Railroad Worker because it is unreasonable and unjust to insist a person perform critical work when they are unwell."

In my career with the RR I was always a gruntled employee but I've said before and I will continue to say it...1 month salary for the CEO equaled 38 years salary for me.

The reasons that Biden gave for not allowing the strike and insisting that Congress "force" the lame agreement the Union reps agreed to, was the damage to the economy, and national security concerns, etc....

Well, then, RR workers must actually be Federal Workers (without the Federal Benefits) and not know it, because practically speaking RR workers do not have a real option to actually go on strike, EVER.... because economy and national security, etc...

The reasons that Biden gave for not allowing the strike and insisting that Congress "force" the lame agreement the Union reps agreed to, was the damage to the economy, and national security concerns, etc.... Well, then, RR workers must actually be Federal Workers (without the Federal Benefits) and not know it, because practically speaking RR workers do not have a real option to actually go on strike, EVER.... because economy and national security, etc...
This goes far beyond rail workers. Everyone gets sick but there is no mandatory sick leave for Americans at the national level. There was a push to resolve this during the pandemic but as with many other potential solutions the proponents did not have the votes to override a filibuster. If you really want mandatory paid sick leave complain to your congressperson and if they refuse vote them out.

Last edited:
Biden has demanded that the 1st Resolution be on his desk to sign by the weekend, with, or without the 2nd Resolution (with the Paid Sick Leave) being passed. See what they're doing there...

“Unless Congress wants to become the de facto endgame for future negotiations, any effort to put its thumb on the bargaining scale to artificially advantage either party, or otherwise obstruct a swift resolution, would be wholly irresponsible,” said Ian Jefferies, head of the AAR.

On the other hand, the Transportation Trades Department labor coalition that includes all the rail unions praised the vote to add sick time and told lawmakers who voted against it they had “abandoned your working class constituents.”

The focus now turns to the Senate where the timing for a vote is unclear. Labor Secretary Marty Walsh and Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg will meet with Democratic senators Thursday to discuss the rail negotiations.

https://apnews.com/article/business...and-politics-055609b54cfd5d21de0f42fccddff22b

Last edited:
Back