USA Rail Pass on sale ($299 Jan 2023)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
I am considering buying this but noticed that MANY trains are excluded from the deal. I am in Michigan and will have to do most of my travel through Chicago. I am interested in cruising west. I see the Texas Ragle IS allowed but not too many others.

Has anyone used this rail pass. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. I'm not sure what other trains I can use it on going west other than the Michigan Wolverine and Texas Eagle. It may not be worth it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

As far as I’m aware the only restrictions are no Acela, Auto Train, Maple Leaf in Canada, no select Thruway busses. That is also what’s on the website under the restrictions tab on the page for the pass, but knowing Amtrak’s website, you may be on another tab and see a completely different set of rules. I took advantage of the last $299 deal and rode for an unforgettable 7,500. It was incredible.

You probably know you have to purchase a USA rail pass by January 20, 2023. And in the final details AMTRAK I think is very generous with its refund policy.

Your $299 purchase can be fully refunded as long as you don’t book your trip within the 120 days. I think I also read it that even if you book your trip, you can get a full refund 48 hours prior to the beginning of the first trip booked

It’s great to see this deal out there again, I think it’s been two years. I’ve only traveled Amtrak for about five or six years and I have stayed in train stations overnight and the Amtrak Unlimited has been very helpful advising me where to stay.

So yeah it’s almost like loaning Amtrak $299 and they’ll refund it to you in about 120 days or so if you decide to cancel. I’d double check this with a CSR over the phone. Also, check with the CSR about the Covid policy.

Last year the USA RAIL PASS was not available but my 23day trip of 6500 miles would have been covered. It instead cost just under $500 (senior) all in Coach.

Back