USA Rail Passes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Amtrak until recently had 15 day, 30 an 45 day USA Rail Passes but all have gone to 1 single 30 day 10 segment pass. Does anyone know if this is just during the covid situation and a short term solution or long term. Planning to visit next Summer from UK, thanks in advance. 👍🚉💺🇺🇲

Hi, Amtrak until recently had 15 day, 30 an 45 day USA Rail Passes but all have gone to 1 single 30 day 10 segment pass. Does anyone know if this is just during the covid situation and a short term solution or long term. Planning to visit next Summer from UK, thanks in advance. 👍🚉💺🇺🇲
They had suspended pass sales entirely during COVID, that was their response to the COVID situation. There are no onboard capacity constraints any more, which I think was the reason USA pass sales were suspended. Offering only a 30-day version of the pass at this point does not seem like a COVID response to me.

Amtrak is pretty much in post-COVID mode now, except for masking requirements, with no more capacity constraints, so my guess is this is their product going forward.

Last edited:
Sadly, I'm guessing the one single 30-day pass is here to stay. I believe it's cheaper than the old 30-day pass per segment, but allows 10 segments, not 12 :(

The USA Passes are joke, I like the old times, it used be once you purchase one, you have 360 days to active it then you have 180 days to complete it.

Now, with the new changes, once you purchase, you must active the pass within 120 days and must finish in 30 days.

So, yeah. I wouldn't bother buying one.

The USA Passes are joke, I like the old times, it used be once you purchase one, you have 360 days to active it then you have 180 days to complete it.

Now, with the new changes, once you purchase, you must active the pass within 120 days and must finish in 30 days.

Why? Despite the drawbacks it's still an extremely good deal. It just means you have a smaller timeframe to complete it.

Why? Despite the drawbacks it's still an extremely good deal. It just means you have a smaller timeframe to complete it.

Well, I like the old passes because you have more time to plan. I used travel with it and could span 2-3 months because I have to finish in 180 days. But now, you must finish in 30 days.

Remember, the new CEO was former Delta Airlines CEO so he changed this to make sure Amtrak dont lose money but he forgot that this kills people by buying the passes because of timeframe is way too short.

Well, I like the old passes because you have more time to plan. I used travel with it and could span 2-3 months because I have to finish in 180 days. But now, you must finish in 30 days.

Remember, the new CEO was former Delta Airlines CEO so he changed this to make sure Amtrak dont lose money but he forgot that this kills people by buying the passes because of timeframe is way too short.
I don't think it's way too short. It just requires planning before you've bought it. However, after experiencing the former pass, I can understand why you would find this one inadequate.

And wasn't the rail pass reintroduced after Anderson was out?

I don't think it's way too short. It just requires planning before you've bought it. However, after experiencing the former pass, I can understand why you would find this one inadequate.

And wasn't the rail pass reintroduced after Anderson was out?

Right after when former CEO Joe Bordeman passed away, they started changing things around and that is where they done that.

Wasn't that two passes ago? Did they really offer the old one before the pandemic to be used for 30 days and 12 segments in 180 days? I thought it was 12 segments in 30 days.

I saw this on the web...

Give or take the occasional stop for refreshments -- perhaps a bosna sausage and a cream-topped Viennese coffee -- you've been on the go, on public transport, for more than eight hours, clocking up hundreds of miles across bus, rail, tram and metro services.
And how much has this epic ride cost you? Just $3.50 (or €3).
Fifteen years after it was first proposed, Austria's new Klimaticket, or climate ticket, goes live on October 26. Offering seamless travel across all modes of public transport it is intended to galvanize the Alpine nation's fight against climate change.
The annual pass, priced at $1,267 (€1,095), works out at just $24 (€21) per week or $3.50 a day. If all goes according to plan, it should encourage people to swap their cars for more climate-friendly forms of getting around

If you wanted to get off the train and actually explore America, the 15 day pass was a bit of a rush. I like the idea that it covers a month of travel. 10 trains for $500 works out at $50 a ride, so very good value in my opinion.
It is what it is, no use crying over what used to be... A judicious mix of paid fares and a pass could save a lot of cash, if one is happy to travel in coach seats...

Fifteen years after it was first proposed, Austria's new Klimaticket, or climate ticket, goes live on October 26. Offering seamless travel across all modes of public transport it is intended to galvanize the Alpine nation's fight against climate change.
The annual pass, priced at $1,267 (€1,095), works out at just $24 (€21) per week or $3.50 a day. If all goes according to plan, it should encourage people to swap their cars for more climate-friendly forms of getting around
WHAT
AMAZING
Imagine the gates that opens up. Night trains are only €6 each extra, and €110 for up to four children 6-15 years who travel with you. Under 6 is free. Monthly payments available, only fee is a two-month downpayment.
Austria is really pushing hard on climate action in Europe. Their choice of sticking to and improving their fantastic night trains has paid off wonderfully.

If you wanted to get off the train and actually explore America, the 15 day pass was a bit of a rush. I like the idea that it covers a month of travel. 10 trains for $500 works out at $50 a ride, so very good value in my opinion.
It is what it is, no use crying over what used to be... A judicious mix of paid fares and a pass could save a lot of cash, if one is happy to travel in coach seats...
I did the railpass for $299 last month. I augmented the pass with a couple of sleepers. Only one overnight on the train. Sleeping in Coach overnight is not pleasant. Only had a seatmate for one of my eight Coach overnights.

$299.....That's an awesome price, I think. We're hoping to travel next July. And just waiting for the 120 day window to purchase. I'm wondering if we should push waiting to see if they go on sale within that window?

A person could buy 12 months for $6000. Maybe save on rent for the year by 'living' on the train.

A person could buy 12 months for $6000. Maybe save on rent for the year by 'living' on the train.
There are people ( Rich)who used to live on Cruise Ships when they were still sailing on Regular Schedules before the Pandemic!

And when Pan Am used to fly "Round the World" you could buy a Ticket for $1700 that was good for a year long as you kept going in the same direction.( East or West)

Only flaw is that you would be sleeping in a Coach seat for a year. Augmenting with sleepers and hotels would price it way more than $6000. However,If Amtrak would present a rail pass that included sleepers and the meals that were included,I could easily spend 30 days on a train.

There are people ( Rich)who used to live on Cruise Ships when they were still sailing on Regular Schedules before the Pandemic!
It actually works out to be cheaper to do this than live in most nursing homes.
Of course the level of health care aboard most ships would not match a capable nursing home.

Let's see. On the western routes low bucket is about $315/night in a roomette. So, for the low low price of only $115K you could live in roomettes for a year, meals included. Of course your heart might explode from the food in the dining car. Good thing that AU is formulating a plan in another thread to bring back onboard nurses.
If anyone wants to underwrite this for me I'll write up a nice trip report. ;)

Last edited:
Let's see. On the western routes low bucket is about $315/night in a roomette. So, for the low low price of only $115K you could live in roomettes for a year, meals included. Of course your heart might explode from the food in the dining car. Good thing that AU is formulating a plan in another thread to bring back onboard nurses.
Not sure why exactly, but this made me laugh out loud.

Plus you'd keep your wits sharp trying to find low bucket roomettes continuously.

I think the max stay in the US on the esta visa is exactly 90 days, so probably worth trimming a few days off the train rides.
Just as a matter of interest, would it be possible to devise routes that would allow one to remain on a train each night of the 30 day pass? I guess one would need routes of 3 nights with the 10 segments allowed, so it seems impossible?
As an alternative, what do folks think would be the max mileage possible over the 30 days/10 segments?
I clocked up 12,500 miles on the old "unlimited" 15 day pass. :D

I think the max stay in the US on the esta visa is exactly 90 days, so probably worth trimming a few days off the train rides.
Just as a matter of interest, would it be possible to devise routes that would allow one to remain on a train each night of the 30 day pass? I guess one would need routes of 3 nights with the 10 segments allowed, so it seems impossible?
There are overnight routes but travelled Antrak before and don't think I could do 3 months sleeping on a train so lots of hotel and city stops planned too 👍

Back