Use of amfleet-cafecar as sightseeingcar

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

longdistance

Train Attendant
We (from Europe) will travel from NY to Chicago mid-March on the Lakeshore Limited. If we want to see out of the other side of the train than Roomette 1, is it possible to use the café-car as a place to sit for a while as you can do in the sightseeer-lounge of a superliner?

Thanks!

Yes, that is an acceptable use of the lounge car on the Lakeshore.

I'm certain I will be corrected if wrong but I believe the even numbered roomettes are on the Hudson River side going from New York City to Albany. That would be a good time to visit the lounge car.

We (from Europe) will travel from NY to Chicago mid-March on the Lakeshore Limited. If we want to see out of the other side of the train than Roomette 1, is it possible to use the café-car as a place to sit for a while as you can do in the sightseeer-lounge of a superliner?

Thanks!
Yep, but the "Lounge" on a Single Level train is with the Cafe so there are only a few tables and the windows are small compared to a Superliner.

You actually can see better from your Viewliner Roomette or from an Amfleet II Coach than you can from the Cafe/Lounge Car on the Lake Shore!

I know this would spoil the railfan window, but if they had a caboose, or room converted on the bag dorm for office work it would free up a revenue table,,,, wait, this makes sense,,, forget about it (no sarcasm font available)

I know this would spoil the railfan window, but if they had a caboose, or room converted on the bag dorm for office work it would free up a revenue table,,,, wait, this makes sense,,, forget about it (no sarcasm font available)
The Amfleet II lounge cars have a conductors office, which is rarely ever used.

The sleepers will always have traps facing the diner. So if in the front it'll be evens on the Hudson. And if on the back odds

Last edited by a moderator:
The sleeper adjacent to the Diner will have its trap at the Diner end. The rest of the Sleepers in principle can be oriented whichever way, but usually are oriented the same way as the Sleeper adjacent to the Diner. But I have seen them oriented the other way sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back