Using AGR certificate to upgrade on NER+Valley Flyer trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonnie

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hubby and I will be taking the Valley Flyer Springfield to New Haven, changing to Northeast Regional to go to Philadelphia. I want to use some points to upgrade to business class, but it appears the Valley Flyer has no business class. Is it true that I can't do this upgrade until 12 hours before the trip starts? Do I have to wait until 12:06am to do the upgrade for the 12:06pm NER? What if I upgrade one of us and then discover that there isn't another upgrade available for the other? If we get them both, will a conductor help us sit together? Or do I make my polite request to the whole car in my best "teacher voice"?

NER has assigned seating in BC, so you should be able to choose your seats.

However, I’ve only done it ahead of time, so not sure how to do it with an upgrade coupon. Someone more tech savvy than I am will know.

New Haven is a nice station—no need for your teacher voice there😊. I think you’re smart to upgrade, though—between NYC and PHL, the regionals get very crowded so it’s nice to have an assigned seat in a car with less congestion.

You do indeed need to wait until 12 hours before to use a 12 hour coupon and you can do so by modifying your reservation on the site or app and choosing Upgrade. However, BC on the NER is often 90-100% full south of NYP these days (maybe north too, but I have no experience with it) and the chances that you will get two seats next to each other are slim to none by that late date.

As a Springfield area resident, I can confirm that all the 400-series trains to/from New Haven are 2 car coach only trains...no BC, no cafe. So get your coffee before boarding. The Valley Flyer's are simply an extension of those trains to Greenfield. At New Haven, you'll be switching to either a NEC regional train or an Acela. Both have upgrade capabilities to BC on the regional, or FC on the Acela.

Traveling alone, I've used upgrades to FC on an Acela a good number of times. For what it's worth, I have NEVER had success using the Amtrak web site or the Android Amtrak app to do an upgrade. I've even tried using Edge instead of Firefox and get the same results. I've ended up calling and then letting them assign a 'default' seat. It seems that many of the agents don't know how to select a specific seat. I then go back online and change the seat assignment to what I want.

And using companion coupons? What a nightmare! The AGR portion of the Amtrak site shows instructions of how to do it, none of which work! It should be an on-screen option/button while booking!

Just this past Sunday, I booked a trip for me and a friend on a one-day, 4 leg 'circle' tour starting and ending in Windsor Locks CT. Hopefully, we'll see some good fall colors on the WNL-NYP-ALB-SPG-WNL trip, especially along the Hudson next week. I called and the person I talked with asked for specific coupon numbers (you have GOT to be kidding!) even before I was asked for my AGR number! I told her that once she had my number, it should be easy to click on my coupons and apply them. Her response was that she does not have that capability on her screen! AGR contractor operation, I presume? She managed to get the trip booked for 2 people, but no application of companion coupons (I read the 1st one 3 times and she got it wrong every time!) nor was my AGR number shown. I had to call back Monday morning to talk with someone who applied the companion coupons in less than 5 minutes! I didn't realize my AGR number was missing until after I printed out the tickets. I figure I'll have to go through the 'missing points' routine a week or so after we travel.

On one trip, a couple months ago, my friend and I took a 400 train to NHV and then an Acela to BOS, then #449 back to SPG using 3 companion coupons again. Trying to change BC seats on the Acela on the web site was impossible as it was for 2 passengers. I called and spent a good 10 minutes telling the agent repeatedly I wanted seats together on the right side of the train to get ocean views while traveling. The agent finally figured out what I was asking and to our dismay, they were on the LEFT side! Fortunately, when the conductor came through, he managed to move us to a table in the front of the car with both of us facing forward.

Hopefully, using upgrades for you won't turn into a horror story like my experiences. And, as an aside, one cannot upgrade when using companion fares...as in 'been there, tried it'.

Thinking this over, and after reading the other answers above, I think maybe it’s better to not use an upgrade coupon for this trip but save it for a nicer train.

The NER business class gives you a free nonalcoholic beverage each (maybe more than one, but it depends on the cafe attendant) and more legroom. But it’s not the nice 2x1 seating.

Because the choice of seats may be limited in BC as mentioned above, you’ll have a better chance of getting two seats together in coach and on the left side to look at the boats at Bridgeport and any glimpses of the water. (Plus the Philly skyline and the Art Museum will be on the left.)

See if the conductor will help you find two seats together when you board if it’s very crowded.. If you can’t find two together, you’ll be able to at NYC when many people get off. Just do it fast, because when they board at NYC they just swarm in and take over. Your teacher voice will not work —they won’t even hear you.

At PHL, lots of people will get up to get off, but they’re not as frantic as at NYC, so they will wait for you to (or even help you) get your luggage from the rack.

And finally, what I tell everyone going to PHL—whether it’s their first time or one of many—stop and take in the loveliness of the main hall before you go on with your trip.

The NER business class gives you a free nonalcoholic beverage each (maybe more than one, but it depends on the cafe attendant) and more legroom. But it’s not the nice 2x1 seating.
I always thought it was one, as well, but a post on Reddit last week clued me in to the fact that it doesn't say one anywhere and that many people treat it as an unlimited supply. YMMV, I guess.

The other thing that I've discovered about BC on the Regional (due to a quirk in the recent points sale making it the cheapest option I have traveled on it perhaps 8x in the last month) which may make it less pleasant for some is that it is now full of kids. I think because it is the only way to guarantee seats together if you're traveling on the Regional there are many more people traveling with children and, no judgment, they can be really, really loud when the car is 100% full which it often is. This may not be the case on a midweek 12pm train, though.

As a Springfield area resident, I can confirm that all the 400-series trains to/from New Haven are 2 car coach only trains...no BC, no cafe. So get your coffee before boarding. The Valley Flyer's are simply an extension of those trains to Greenfield. At New Haven, you'll be switching to either a NEC regional train or an Acela. Both have upgrade capabilities to BC on the regional, or FC on the Acela.

Traveling alone, I've used upgrades to FC on an Acela a good number of times. For what it's worth, I have NEVER had success using the Amtrak web site or the Android Amtrak app to do an upgrade. I've even tried using Edge instead of Firefox and get the same results. I've ended up calling and then letting them assign a 'default' seat. It seems that many of the agents don't know how to select a specific seat. I then go back online and change the seat assignment to what I want.

And using companion coupons? What a nightmare! The AGR portion of the Amtrak site shows instructions of how to do it, none of which work! It should be an on-screen option/button while booking!

Just this past Sunday, I booked a trip for me and a friend on a one-day, 4 leg 'circle' tour starting and ending in Windsor Locks CT. Hopefully, we'll see some good fall colors on the WNL-NYP-ALB-SPG-WNL trip, especially along the Hudson next week. I called and the person I talked with asked for specific coupon numbers (you have GOT to be kidding!) even before I was asked for my AGR number! I told her that once she had my number, it should be easy to click on my coupons and apply them. Her response was that she does not have that capability on her screen! AGR contractor operation, I presume? She managed to get the trip booked for 2 people, but no application of companion coupons (I read the 1st one 3 times and she got it wrong every time!) nor was my AGR number shown. I had to call back Monday morning to talk with someone who applied the companion coupons in less than 5 minutes! I didn't realize my AGR number was missing until after I printed out the tickets. I figure I'll have to go through the 'missing points' routine a week or so after we travel.

On one trip, a couple months ago, my friend and I took a 400 train to NHV and then an Acela to BOS, then #449 back to SPG using 3 companion coupons again. Trying to change BC seats on the Acela on the web site was impossible as it was for 2 passengers. I called and spent a good 10 minutes telling the agent repeatedly I wanted seats together on the right side of the train to get ocean views while traveling. The agent finally figured out what I was asking and to our dismay, they were on the LEFT side! Fortunately, when the conductor came through, he managed to move us to a table in the front of the car with both of us facing forward.

Hopefully, using upgrades for you won't turn into a horror story like my experiences. And, as an aside, one cannot upgrade when using companion fares...as in 'been there, tried it'.
Good Lord Almighty! It's basically as complicated and non-functional as I feared only in my worst nightmares. Thank you for all this detail.

Thinking this over, and after reading the other answers above, I think maybe it’s better to not use an upgrade coupon for this trip but save it for a nicer train.

Because the choice of seats may be limited in BC as mentioned above, you’ll have a better chance of getting two seats together in coach and on the left side to look at the boats at Bridgeport and any glimpses of the water. (Plus the Philly skyline and the Art Museum will be on the left.)

See if the conductor will help you find two seats together when you board if it’s very crowded.. If you can’t find two together, you’ll be able to at NYC when many people get off. Just do it fast, because when they board at NYC they just swarm in and take over. Your teacher voice will not work —they won’t even hear you.

At PHL, lots of people will get up to get off, but they’re not as frantic as at NYC, so they will wait for you to (or even help you) get your luggage from the rack.

And finally, what I tell everyone going to PHL—whether it’s their first time or one of many—stop and take in the loveliness of the main hall before you go on with your trip.
You've given me plenty to think about! I have to use the coupons now before they expire, no other trips planned. I think I'll try calling and see what results, otherwise just ride in coach.

Totally in the plan! Might even hang in the first class lounge as we also have coupons for that.
I always thought it was one, as well, but a post on Reddit last week clued me in to the fact that it doesn't say one anywhere and that many people treat it as an unlimited supply. YMMV, I guess.

The other thing that I've discovered about BC on the Regional (due to a quirk in the recent points sale making it the cheapest option I have traveled on it perhaps 8x in the last month) which may make it less pleasant for some is that it is now full of kids. I think because it is the only way to guarantee seats together if you're traveling on the Regional there are many more people traveling with children and, no judgment, they can be really, really loud when the car is 100% full which it often is. This may not be the case on a midweek 12pm train, though.
But... But... Quiet was the point of BC, wasn't it? Does this mean coach is the quiet place now? 🤣

Totally in the plan! Might even hang in the first class lounge as we also have coupons for that.

But... But... Quiet was the point of BC, wasn't it? Does this mean coach is the quiet place now? 🤣

There is a Quiet Car—it’s right in front of the business class car—but it’s always crowded. Plus you can’t talk to each other except in a whisper and for a short time.

Nah, you've just traded business people yapping loudly and self-importantly into their cellphones for shrieking children, lol. My preference is the Quiet Car but I am a sucker for assigned seats so will take BC when it's cheap. These days there are fantastic deals on the Acela when you buy in advance, which is the best of both worlds: assigned seats and quiet.

FWIW, I never have trouble upgrading through the app or website so if you do choose to do this you may find it easier than you think.

There is a Quiet Car—it’s right in front of the business class car—but it’s always crowded.

Quite frankly, everything is crowded now; trains are almost always 90-100% full at the time of departure. I have not had a seat alone on either Acela or Regional in over a year.

I counted on my recent trip: in the regular NER coach there are 18 4 seat rows, in the BC car there are 16 4 seat rows. So there is slightly more leg room. For a can of soda the upgrade price is excessive! I continue to prefer QC

Back