Using AGR points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjgiss

Train Attendant
Planning a long trip using guest reward points and need to know if this is doable under reward point rules.

CZ from chicago to emeryville using points.

CS emeryville to Seattle.using point

EB from Seattle to Milwaukee using points

Bedroom on all

I have over 105000 points just wanting to know if this is allowed under AGR rules.

It is allowable, and as posted it would be a 2 zone award from CHI to SEA and to the stopover in SEA another 2 zone award from SEA to CHI. If you just wanted a ride, and not go to SEA, you can have a same day connection in Portland, OR. This would also cost less points. You can book a 1 zone award from CHI to DEN (Denver), then another 1 zone award from DEN to WPT (Wolf Point, MT) via EMY and PDX and finally another 1 zone award from WPT back to CHI!

As you have a lot of points you may not be looking to save but the_traveller brings up a good point. As you mentioned you were doing a Bedroom trip it would take fewer points to do three one-zone redemptions than two two-zone. If points don't matter and you dont anticipate making any last minute changes on the road then either option works.

If you decided to do a roomette trip instead the two two-zone redemptions would be fewer points than three one-zone roomette redemptions at the current rate.

Bottom line is the trip is within the rules as they are now and it sounds like it will be really nice!

I would agree with including multiple intentional stopovers, even if one giant continuous loop would require fewer points. I love trains and I love natural beauty, which you'll obviously have in spades, but there's a point after which even the most wonderful things can become a bit tiresome and monotonous. If you have the right mix of passengers and staff, or you're the kind of person who can get wrapped up in a book for days on end, then maybe it's no big deal. On the other hand, sometimes less is more, if you follow my meaning.

If you have the right mix of passengers and staff, or you're the kind of person who can get wrapped up in a book for days on end, then maybe it's no big deal. On the other hand, sometimes less is more, if you follow my meaning.
If I have a book I can get wrapped up in for days, I wouldnt spend the money or points for a train trip. I'd stay home & read!!!

If I have a book I can get wrapped up in for days, I wouldnt spend the money or points for a train trip. I'd stay home & read!!!
You kidding, right? Wasn't it you that posted a question about a Florida to El Paso round trip with a one day turn in El Paso?

You kidding, right? Wasn't it you that posted a question about a Florida to El Paso round trip with a one day turn in El Paso?
YEP!!!
Maybe RF doesn't have such a book at present. :hi: I've been takling with Jim H about a quick turnaround trip, not to ELP but to ALP. :blush:

I've been takling with Jim H about a quick turnaround trip, not to ELP but to ALP. :blush:
Nothing in ALP - been there, done that. I was on #2 and arrive in ALP 1 hour early - and that was 1 hour too long! :giggle:

Did you ever wonder why if Jim says Alpine is so great, why did he leave? :p
I think they kicked him out - up to Washington DC for a while, then let him come back to Texas!!

Back