Usual remedies for missed connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crescent2

Conductor
I'm trying to decide on plans for a tentative trip in sleepers.

In addition to my concerns, someone yesterday totally changed his itinerary to avoid an iffy connection, and someone today was wondering whether to cancel her trip at the last minute. Both of these were much shorter trips than the one I'm considering. So, my concerns remain about making six (!) connections to and from long distance trains during one 10-day trip.

What is Amtrak's usual, if "usual" exists, remedy or backup plan when the following connections are missed?

Hold the connecting train (how long?), bus to catch up to the train, hotel and rebook the next day's train, or something else?

nb Crescent to wb Cardinal in CVS

nb Crescent to wb Capitol Limited in WAS

wb Cardinal to wb CZ in CHI

wb CL to wb CZ in CHI

wb CZ to nb CS in EMY (or DAV or SAC)

nb CS to eb EB in PDX (very tight connection, but apparently there is a good backup bus bridge for this one)

eb EB to eb Card, or eb Cap Ltd, in CHI (poor record here)

eb Card to sb Crescent in CVS

eb CL to sb Crescent in WAS

eb EB to sb CONO in CHI

These are options for a possible spring or summer 2014 trip I'm working on. I'd be using AGR sleeper awards, so scheduling an overnight stay as insurance isn't an option except between two AGR awards. I'm concerned that a trip booked in sleepers could turn into an extended "surprise" coach trip because of missed connections. Obviously, the earlier in the trip that happened, the bigger problem it would be because of all the subsequent missed connections.

Another question: Which trains are more likely to have unsold sleepers available in spring/summer?

I'd appreciate your knowledge about how good the backup plans are for making these connections. Thanks much!

One that I can comment on is the WB CZ to NB CS, if there is an issue, the layover in SAC is much longer, 2:15p to 11:59p, so even if the train was 8 hours late, you could get off at SAC and make the CS.

Most of my trips involved 3-6 connections (or more) without stopping overnight. (In fact, some have included a connection between the eastbound EB and the eastbound Cardinal.) I have never had a missed connection or stopped overnight between trains.

Since you have posted very similar questions in other threads, I am closing this thread. My advice is to just plan the trip you want - and enjoy it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back