V/L 2300

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Starting to get some info from various sources.

Whoever sent the pictures of the 2300 and wanted to know if it was in a different paint scheme, can you date the picture?

One source says that after the cars were built and Amtrak decided to build them, that 2300 was sent to Morrison-Knudsen and torn apart for detailed examination. Supposedly it was never reassembled, due to the cost. One thing I found interesting was that the "prototype" shells were built at Budd's Red Lion plant and shut down afterwards. After they were delivered, it took Amtrak 6 years to complete the cars!!

Still ARROW shows the car in Bear DPF. Still can't get any info from Bear, But I found a person here with friends at Bear. She won't be back 'till tomorrow.

One person I was told about, does extensive research on passenger cars and travels thousands of miles by rail, spending alot of time at the Pullman car archives. He does not answer E-mail, but I was given his address. So if anyone wants to run with the ball, here you go!!!

Elbert Simon Jr.

10 Riverside Drive #2-S

Binghamton, N.Y. 13905

I was told that other than a person being at Bear, this guy could probably tell you the history and location of 2300.

Play ball!! :D

Joey B)

I have a picture putting it in Bear around 1997 (Phase III), I can scan it and put it on the website, but I can't link you to the original page yet.

Just got to work and had to see what's up!!! I knew this was going to be a "hot" topic, and things are starting to come together.

I found it interesting, that it went thru a minor rebuild in the 90's, but doesn't see service. I'm assuming it may have had the same problems and was easier to store than constantly repair, only to break down in service. I'm curious if it too, was used as a dorm. The only way I could see this car in revenue, was if the other two prototypes ran with it. As B-51 can tell you, if you had the choice between the two versions, you would go for the production model.

Thanks for the updates and pictures, hopefully I can get back on later and do some more research.

Thanks to you guys, I'm now obsessed with this damn car!!!

They should have gone with the production models on a lot of cars, but noooo!!! Amtrak had to make stupid, button adding modifications. :blink: Frankly I don't need five different buttons to operate a light that really has no effect in the room. Alright, I'll shutup now but no more modifications. :unsure:

You're welcome Joe, that gives us slightly better odds. Didn't you say a year ago that it ran as a dorm until '96.

Miami Joe said:
Just got to work and had to see what's up!!! I knew this was going to be a "hot" topic, and things are starting to come together.
I found it interesting, that it went thru a minor rebuild in the 90's, but doesn't see service. I'm assuming it may have had the same problems and was easier to store than constantly repair, only to break down in service. I'm curious if it too, was used as a dorm. The only way I could see this car in revenue, was if the other two prototypes ran with it. As B-51 can tell you, if you had the choice between the two versions, you would go for the production model.

Thanks for the updates and pictures, hopefully I can get back on later and do some more research.

Thanks to you guys, I'm now obsessed with this damn car!!!
Joe, that makes two of us :D . It would be a nice photo oppurtunity to see all three together.

These are the last entries on ARROW concerning the 2300, in chronological order. They tend to coincide with the info we've gathered, but raises questions about the 1997 info.

Here it is;

01Sept96- car traveled from Albany to NYP

02Sept96- car traveled to Bear DPF, with a status of BYD. That's "bad order" in the yard.

04Sept96- shows status of AD and PI. PI is "pending investigation" and AD is "awaiting disposition", which indicates a unit not in active status.

05Sept96- shows SP, "shopped", with the remarks" hold for future mods".

06Sept96- shows three different status changes. I think these were decisions that were made based on costs, etc.

at 7:00a, the car is "SP" awaiting 941 mods. No idea what "941" at this time.

at 1100a, the car shows SB "standby", with the remark "stored".

at 400p, the car shows SD "stored dead" and the remark "stored".

So, alot of conflicting info and it's up to us to figure it out!!!

Another thing I found out, was ARROW is available to travel agencies. So, if you have a friend in the business, you might be able to gain access and do some detective work yourself!!!!

Any idea why 62091 has such an odd paint scheme and doesn't indicate its a Viewliner on the exterior?

To see what I mean visit the following links.

Photo 1 http://www.geocities.com/skyline_view9711/abr62091.jpg

Photo 2 http://www.geocities.com/skyline_view9711/...1/abr62091a.jpg

Photo 3 http://www.geocities.com/skyline_view9711/...1/abr62091b.jpg

Photo 4 http://www.geocities.com/skyline_view9711/...1/abr62091c.jpg

Photo 5 http://www.geocities.com/skyline_view9711/...1/abr62091d.jpg

Copy and paste these links if they don't work (which will probably be the case.)

I do see what you mean. In a way it looks better, but as for why the Phase IV stripe was apllied that way, don't know. Also, then "Viewliner" name across the top was not applied either.

How do you think it looks better? I think it is nice in the sence that its paint is unique and fitting for the car its talking about.

One difference I noticed on this car is that the door is seperated into two seperate units, ala Heritage Crew Dorm. The modern Viewliner has a one piece door with a small window that opens. I personally prefer the two piece door because when we have a delay it makes it easier to look out rather than fitting your head through that small window.

A big difference is that 62091 has single door entry on the A and B end, not twin doors.

For all you rail "nuts", 62091 will be going out at 7:00am on #98 tomorrow!!!! :eek:

B)

Dagger, in heart, clunk. That's too bad, I have a Marlins game I'm going to tomorrow (fifth row behind the plate). And since we have no school Monday (thank God for Jewish holidays) I'd be able to go. Oh well. :eek: I'll alert the rest of the people on my railfan network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back