valuables left at coach seat when walking to bathroom, diner, etc..

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
I know I ask a lot questions but I soon will be traveling Amtrak for the first time in 20 years. I know things are very different now.

I will be riding coach long-distance and traveling with things like my laptop and iPad. When I go to the lounge, bathroom, or diner car my electronics will remain at my seat because walking through the train with them seems bulky. Is there some type of locked compartment at the coach seats? If not, should I carry them with me always in some type of case? Won't I look weird walking through the train all the time with a case? What should I do?

I think leaving valuables unattended at a coach seat is not a good idea. This is one reason why people book sleeper accommodations.

There is no locked compartment for storage in the coaches, and even sleeper rooms do not lock. But I generally feel secure leaving valuables in my sleeper room.

Best thing to do, when leaving your seat would be to tell someone you trust where you are going, and to please keep an eye on your stuff while you are gone. Another tip, would be if possible, avoid leaving your seat during station stops, when someone dishonest, who is getting off, might cease the opportunity to take it. If you can't find someone to watch it, you might consider locking it in your suitcase, in the overhead bin...might make it less easy to take....

Don't worry about what other people think, it's your stuff, not theirs.The train is a pretty safe environment, but we all need to use common sense. I would take a soft shoulder bag, such as a cloth shopping bag, and carry your valuables in that when you leave your seat. Otherwise, place your valuables in a case which you can lock and put above your seat. I have taken Amtrak coach seats for many thousands of miles, and never once saw or heard of any items going missing. It can happen of course, but it always feels safe to me.

Some folk carry a flexible chain or cable, and padlock their locked baggage to the rack, or somewhere convenient.

Folk tend to look out for one another too, you can always ask a fellow passenger to "watch my bag" for 5 minutes...

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no locked compartment whatsoever onboard. I highly recommend you either put your valuables in locked suitcase or bag, or just keep them with you. Since it might be a hassle to unlock and lock that bag whenever you want to retrieve your stuff, I feel like your best bet is to just put your electronics in a small backpack or handbag that you always keep with you. I don't see any reason whatsoever why you'd "look weird" or be frowned upon carrying a small bag with you.

Ok thanks all!! It seems like locking valuables in my luggage in overhead bin seems the best solution if I decide not to carry valuables with me in some sort of bag. Also I love the suggestion to not leave seat at station stops.

. Also I love the suggestion to not leave seat at station stops.
Another reason is that someone doesn't board and take your seat while you are away...you could leave your seat check, but sometimes they want you to have it with you while you leave, in case they are doing a 'ticket sweep'...you could also leave a jacket I suppose....but best to be at your seat when new passenger's board, especially if the seat next to you is empty...

I think leaving valuables unattended at a coach seat is not a good idea. This is one reason why people book sleeper accommodations.

There is no locked compartment for storage in the coaches, and even sleeper rooms do not lock. But I generally feel secure leaving valuables in my sleeper room.
In a sleeper, which has little-to-no thru traffic, I still put any valuables away, out of sight, and close the drapes, before leaving.

In coach, I would never leave valuables out on my seat. I think that one would be inviting temptation, even if the others in coach are basically honest.

I have no problem with leaving most things (clothes, reading material, snacks, etc.) at my seat when I'm away. But I do always take my phone or iPad with me wherever I go on the train. Have a small "man purse" that will easily accommodate everything and is easy to carry. But, depending upon how large and heavy your laptop is, it could be a nuisance to carry around. Any chance you could just leave it at home?

I have no problem with leaving most things (clothes, reading material, snacks, etc.) at my seat when I'm away. But I do always take my phone or iPad with me wherever I go on the train. Have a small "man purse" that will easily accommodate everything and is easy to carry. But, depending upon how large and heavy your laptop is, it could be a nuisance to carry around. Any chance you could just leave it at home?

Nope I can not leave it at home and it's a 13-inch model laptop. I also must take my tablet which is a 12.9 inch model. So I guess I must lock in in my carry-on or walk around with them

In a sleeper, which has little-to-no thru traffic, I still put any valuables away, out of sight, and close the drapes, before leaving.

In coach, I would never leave valuables out on my seat. I think that one would be inviting temptation, even if the others in coach are basically honest.
Agreed. We always put electronics out of sight, usually I put my computer under a pillow or blanket in the upper bunk, and of course leave the door shut and curtains drawn. For the most part, I trust people in the sleepers, but I'd rather not put $2K on the line out of trust in a bunch of complete strangers.

Nope I can not leave it at home and it's a 13-inch model laptop. I also must take my tablet which is a 12.9 inch model. So I guess I must lock in in my carry-on or walk around with them
I really recommend you just put your valuables in a backpack and keep that with you. It will be way less of a hassle than having to lock them away every time you leave your seat.

If I am in coach and just leaving for a few minutes (like to use the restroom), I may leave things out, ask my trusted seatmate to watch my stuff while I go to the restroom, put them in the seat pocket or put them in my bag on the luggage rack. If I am going to be longer (such as going to the Dining Car or Lounge), I would put it in my bag or I may take it with me (if I wanted to use it in the Lounge, they have plugs). I always keep my phone with me (as you do at home).

I think leaving valuables unattended at a coach seat is not a good idea. This is one reason why people book sleeper accommodations. There is no locked compartment for storage in the coaches, and even sleeper rooms do not lock. But I generally feel secure leaving valuables in my sleeper room.
In a sleeper, which has little-to-no thru traffic, I still put any valuables away, out of sight, and close the drapes, before leaving. In coach, I would never leave valuables out on my seat. I think that one would be inviting temptation, even if the others in coach are basically honest.
Agreed. We always put electronics out of sight, usually I put my computer under a pillow or blanket in the upper bunk, and of course leave the door shut and curtains drawn. For the most part, I trust people in the sleepers, but I'd rather not put $2K on the line out of trust in a bunch of complete strangers.
One of the best decisions I ever made was buying a cheap travel laptop to replace my primary computer on most trips. After a couple years of incident free travel I was starting to wonder if maybe I was being a little overzealous. Until it suddenly went missing. Not on Amtrak but out of my checked luggage on a United Airlines flight. At first I was kind of pissed but then I remembered how little it cost me and then it didn't really bother me anymore. I even laughed at the thought of some clueless thief trying to fence a cheap piece of junk. I'm on my third travel laptop at this point. I tried to use a tablet and keyboard as a replacement but it's just not the same. I'm ten times more productive on a true laptop. Has anyone tried using a Chromebook as a travel computer?

More often than not, when I have traveled long distance Coach, a community quickly formed with folks seated around me; something you do not see on the 'plane. We get to know one another and usually your community will watch out for you and your stuff. In one case, 2 women joined our community and took the now empty seats across the aisle from me. They had 2 titanic ice chests full of food and drinks and made it very clear I was going to help them eat down their supply. Did I argue? Of course not!!

I've never worried at all about my laptop on an Amtrak train. Never say never I guess, but I just doubt anybody would be audacious enough to steal a laptop with so many witnesses around and no way to get away.

. Also I love the suggestion to not leave seat at station stops.
Another reason is that someone doesn't board and take your seat while you are away...you could leave your seat check, but sometimes they want you to have it with you while you leave, in case they are doing a 'ticket sweep'...you could also leave a jacket I suppose....but best to be at your seat when new passenger's board, especially if the seat next to you is empty...
On any long distance train I've always left my seat check over my seat. I thought seats were almost always assigned, except at/near an origin station where the crew might allow passengers to select their seats. If they're doing a ticket sweep I'd think my original ticket is what they want to see and not a hand-notation seat check.

Unreserved routes are a different matter.

I've got a 13" myself. I've taken it on the train in a laptop bag that is considerably larger than the computer. I mean - I could probably fit about 6 of them in the same bag, but I also use it to store other stuff. I was hauling it to the dining car, to the lounge, and even to the lavatory. When I'm by myself, I don't trust that my valuables will still be there.

However, an inexpensive sling bag might work. There are a few that might work, but you'll need to decide if you need a shoulder strap or just handles.

I've never really worried about my stuff other than more expensive electronics. I've left a power adapter in the outlet and walked to the lounge or dining car. I'll leave my small cooler in the overhead bin. Sure someone could steal something with minimal value. However, it's impractical to take everything with me, but one bag is fine.

I really recommend you just put your valuables in a backpack and keep that with you. It will be way less of a hassle than having to lock them away every time you leave your seat.
Yes I've been thinking about the hassle of locking away every time I leave my seat.

Remember that if you carry your backpack with you to (say) the Dining Car, each table normally has 4 passengers. If you put it on your seat, that would reduce the seat width for the other passenger on your side. If you put it under the table, it may reduce the leg room for any of the other 3 passengers.

Remember that if you carry your backpack with you to (say) the Dining Car, each table normally has 4 passengers. If you put it on your seat, that would reduce the seat width for the other passenger on your side. If you put it under the table, it may reduce the leg room for any of the other 3 passengers.
I often bring my backpack to the dining car, and just put it on the floor between or behind my legs. It doesn't take up any extra lateral or longitudinal space, and I don't think any of my table mates would even know it's there or get close to it. It's not even a particularly small backpack, but I've found that I won't take up any extra space because of it.

I would definitely NOT leave valuables at my coach seat when away from my seat for any significant length of time. And certainly place them out of sight if I had to leave something at the seat while away for a SHORT period of time. When traveling with my kids and one of their friends on Amtrak 30 years ago, the friend had her suitcase rifled thru and substantial cash stolen. Had I known she was carrying cash in her suitcase, I would have insisted she keep it on her person, or in my possession otherwise.

Back