Vermonter track work

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone taking the Vermonter soon should expect 30 minute delays (as has been the case for the last couple weeks) due to NECR tie replacement work. Speeds will gradually be lifted as they eventually get the dirt settled from trains passing over. NECR doesn’t have the heavy machinery that larger railroads have to push and settle the dirt down before running trains over it so they just do it with Normal train operations and speed restrictions.

Anyone taking the Vermonter soon should expect 30 minute delays (as has been the case for the last couple weeks) due to NECR tie replacement work. Speeds will gradually be lifted as they eventually get the dirt settled from trains passing over. NECR doesn’t have the heavy machinery that larger railroads have to push and settle the dirt down before running trains over it so they just do it with Normal train operations and speed restrictions.

Sounds like these delays will be getting even worse with even more slow orders. Might be a route I advise people to avoid for now until the work is complete.

It happens. It's part of operating a RR. Not all RR's can afford a big TLM and accessories. ;)

Very true. And if they truncated and bussed the train to avoid the delays the work would take even longer as they’d only have the single daily NECR freight train running over it. I am a bit surprised they don’t do a temporary schedule alteration. 60-90 daily delays on a route that usually does pretty good is kind of a lot. You’d think they’d at least put a service advisory for it.

Very true. And if they truncated and bussed the train to avoid the delays the work would take even longer as they’d only have the single daily NECR freight train running over it. I am a bit surprised they don’t do a temporary schedule alteration. 60-90 daily delays on a route that usually does pretty good is kind of a lot. You’d think they’d at least put a service advisory for it.

The average delay for the last month going to SAB has been just over 30 mins:

56-9/25-10/25

For WAS, it has been 11 mins:
55-9/25-10/25

That doesn't seem like a temporary schedule is worth it.

Back