Vermonter with peak foliage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
Hey all,

This weekend was certainly a great weekend to hop on the Vermonter with peak foliage through much of Vermont. I was on the southbound run on Sunday and caught some fantastic views. Unfortunately the windows in each car were a tad dusty on the outside, but that wasn't a huge deal (though noticeable).

#57(5) ran with 2 locomotives, #102 and #105, and the usual 5 car consist, although with 4 coaches and a cafe/BC car instead of 3 coaches, a cafe/BC car and a cab car.

Here's a video I put together of some of the highlights of the trip.

Anyone else taking the Vermonter this fall?

-Josh

Wow that is great foliage, nice video! I wasn't aware the colors had changed that much further up north already (I'm in NYC). I'm planning both a trip with the Adirondack dome car and the Vermonter this fall... looks like I should aim a little sooner than I was expecting from your video. If you don't mind me asking, what town on the route (somewhere near the end) do you think is the best to spend a day in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Waterbury is where I normally get on, and it is a beautiful small town. If you are into craft beer at all, Waterbury is making quite a name for itself with the Alchemist brewing their Heady Topper beer, among numerous others in and around town. I would reccomend renting a car and checking out the Mad River Valley (20-30 mins to the south) and Stowe (20-30 mins to the north), for some spectacular views. If going up to Stowe, a drive through Smugglers Notch is something you shouldn't miss, just be aware it is a TIGHT road. If you loop up to Burlington via VT-15 and do some sightseeing there, you've made yourself a nice day trip. Also check out Green Mountain Coffee's visitor center in the Waterbury train station, which was restored back in 2006 with the help of GMCR.

There are a few places to stay in Waterbury, and even more closer towards Stowe and the Mad River Valley.

Unfortunately the Port Kent-Burlington ferry has ended service for the year, so a Adirondack-Vermonter trip is a tad more difficult. You can rent a car in Plattsburgh and take the Plattsburgh-Grand Isle ferry to get over to Vermont, and could start the Vermonter from St. Albans since you'd be just a few miles away.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! That was very informative. I wanted to try that Adirondack-Vermonter loop but also wanted to try out the dome car on the Adirondack which only started 3 days before the end of the ferry service. Maybe next year!

Last year the dome started running Labor Day weekend, allowing for a few weeks where the loop was doable. Definitely check it out if you can, it was quite the experience!

I should point out that the drive through Smugglers Notch is only open in the summer and early fall, and closes with the first snowfall, reopening when all the snow melts in late spring since a plow truck can't fit through the notch. So if you end up coming up in the winter, it would be a long loop to get to Burlington via Stowe. Smugglers Notch (the ski resort) is obviously open in the winter, but you have to take the loop around Stowe and Morrisville or through Richmond and Jericho to get there.

Unfortunately this year it didn't start until Sept 25th. That would have been the perfect loop but unfortunately I couldn't make it in those few days! I'll probably end up doing the Vermonter trip sometime in November as I want to do the Adirondack before the end of October. I'll just have to wait until next summer for the loop.

Great video. I am heading to Vermont this weekend (sadly, by car) and I hope some of the leaves are hanging on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back