Vermonter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geneherd

We're riding the Vermonter from Vermont to New York this summer. Which side of the train is best for viewing? Is there a view car?

No lounge car except for a half-car of dinette tables in the cafe car. I don't recall either side being better than the other. This isn't a dramatic, scenic route, but you'll have nice views of VT and rural MA on both sides.

Consider business class; this train has the ex-club 2-1 seating configuration that everyone raves about. Very spacious.

About 1/2 thru your journey, the Vermonter changes direction; the engine connects up to the other end of the car consist. If you were seated facing forward, you'll then be facing rearward.

No lounge car except for a half-car of dinette tables in the cafe car. I don't recall either side being better than the other. This isn't a dramatic, scenic route, but you'll have nice views of VT and rural MA on both sides.

Consider business class; this train has the ex-club 2-1 seating configuration that everyone raves about. Very spacious.
I thought the Vermonter was running with a full length business class car these days with the 2x2 seating? The Vermonter is treated and equipped the same as NE Regional on the NEC with Amfleet I cars and a café car, although the several I have ridden on had 1-2 fewer Amfleet coach cars than a standard NE Regional. Unfortunately no view or sightseer lounge car equivalent. Just Amfleet 1s with not very large windows.

To the OP, the reverse move takes place at Palmer MA, which will occur on the southbound leg before you get to Springfield MA. The reverse move to the CSX freight line is now planned to go away sometime in later 2013 when the reconstruction of the Conn River line and the new stations in MA are complete. The upgrades to the tracks in Vermont and on the Conn River line in MA will reduce trip times by around 55 minutes from Springfield MA to St. Albans.

It is a very pretty ride in the northern portions. Where in VT are you departing from? The ride through VT, NH and MA is very pretty with a lot of woods and small towns. In VT you'll cross the Onion River more than once and have some nice views of the mountains that you wouldn't get by driving. In my opinion, the view goes downhill once you get into CT: mostly the backs of abandoned warehouses, etc. that's a good point to pull out a good book. :) all in all, it's a very nice ride and I hope you'll enjoy it. :)

I thought the Vermonter was running with a full length business class car these days with the 2x2 seating?
Nope, it still has the 2x1 half car seating. Hopefully they never do away with it.
"Never" is a very long time. Someday the Amfleet Is will be replaced with new single level corridor cars which probably won't have the 2x1 half car business class seating. If the new café cars have half business class seating, it will be 2x2 to have more seats to sell. The good news is the new single level cars will have much larger windows because of the emergency access requirements.

Don't know if it is still true, but the one time I rode it the passenger loading was very light north of White River Jct. It should be a fairly smooth ride as within the last year there has been close to a full rail replacement nort of WRJ with Continuously Welded Rail.

Don't know if it is still true, but the one time I rode it the passenger loading was very light north of White River Jct. It should be a fairly smooth ride as within the last year there has been close to a full rail replacement nort of WRJ with Continuously Welded Rail.
Welded rail? A nice improvement for the railroad, but I for one will miss the leisurely clickety-clack through the heart of Vermont.

Yes, I believe loads within VT are still pretty light. Usually the southbound doesn't start to get crowded until NHV. Leaving NYP it's as crowded as any southbound Regional, only more so due to the shorter consist.

To the OP, the reverse move takes place at Palmer MA, which will occur on the southbound leg before you get to Springfield MA. The reverse move to the CSX freight line is now planned to go away sometime in later 2013 when the reconstruction of the Conn River line and the new stations in MA are complete. The upgrades to the tracks in Vermont and on the Conn River line in MA will reduce trip times by around 55 minutes from Springfield MA to St. Albans.
I really like the Vermonter trip, I think it has great views. Although, I may be biased because I take it to go on ski trips so that may contribute to my excitement :) Personally, I can't wait for them to take out the reverse-move. The time save afigg mentions isn't the only benefit. The old train station in Northampton will be reinstated & used in place of the Amherst one. The Northampton station is more central to the population of both towns/schools, so it should be an additional benefit to Amtrak.

Depends on what you consider light. But the largest station stop in the state in Essex Junction, the second to last stop. Loads are pretty light Tuesday-Thursday with heavier loads on Friday-Monday. On an average day they'll probably be 80-100 people on board north of WRJ. Heavier days (especially around college break times) can be substantially more. This Sunday over 200 are expected into Essex Jct alone with many more at points between Essex and WRJ. These numbers would be far higher except for the fact that there's very strong demand in Hartford, Springfield and Amherst, which restricts the number of seats available for purchase within Vermont as the train easily sells out during periods of high demand and intra-VT passengers are certainly in the minority.

Ride quality is very nice in Vermont, but you'll still get the jointed track in MA on the NECR. The train won't move over to the new route (Pan Am/Guilford Railways) until 2013.

Written from the Vermonter itself, actually.

I really like the Vermonter trip, I think it has great views. Although, I may be biased because I take it to go on ski trips so that may contribute to my excitement :) Personally, I can't wait for them to take out the reverse-move. The time save afigg mentions isn't the only benefit. The old train station in Northampton will be reinstated & used in place of the Amherst one. The Northampton station is more central to the population of both towns/schools, so it should be an additional benefit to Amtrak.
However, they will loose some of the traffic generated Amherst College. The other major benefit is that the train can run with one engine instead of two, which will result in an operating cost savings. The work in MA was only recently begun and the train will start on the new route in 2013, with faster speeds in VT to go into effect this coming year.

However, they will loose some of the traffic generated Amherst College. The other major benefit is that the train can run with one engine instead of two, which will result in an operating cost savings. The work in MA was only recently begun and the train will start on the new route in 2013, with faster speeds in VT to go into effect this coming year.
Transit54, I am not sure, but I think losing Amherst and gaining Smith will be a draw / wash for them. They are pretty close together and comparable in size. I should do some more digging into that....

As for the higher speed (VT), I cannot wait for next year! It will save me time, money and a mild amount of grief. I plan on bringing my GPS on the train to see it hit the promised 79MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back