Very Bad Amtrak Review at my3cents.com

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lepearso

Lead Service Attendant
Here is the link to her story.

She describes a peculiar situation at the Holland, MI train station. Then, she notes that first class sleeping and dining car services have really gone down. Finally, she describes a nightmarish experience at Chicago Union Station.

I pray that what she went through is the exception and not the rule. In any event, I think that situations like these need urgent attention and proper remedy.

Wow... that whole article seemed strange. I felt like I was reading a report about someone in a Prison Camp. I honestly have some suspissions. She says that there were passengers in private cars that were treating the diner like a bar, and that they were given very courteous treatment by the dining car staff.

Well the Southwest Chief is a superliner train, so there should not be any way of getting from a private car to the diner, unless a transition sleeper was used on the rear and the front? But that would be very odd.

Also, who in their right mind would even want to hang out in an amtrak diner when you have rented out a private car? Private cars almost always carry their own food and beverage staff, with fully stocked kitchens and bars that have food and drinks of much higher quality then Amtrak has ever served, and its already paid for. I seriously doubt that part of the story.

Also if there were hotels available in Chicago, why didn't they pay for them themselves? If you can travel as much as they do on amtrak, you can certainly pay for a hotel night. I realize they shouldnt have too, but I would pay the bill rather than staying in this prison scenario that she describes.

I am not saying that these things didn't happen, I know that Amtrak staff can be quite rude at times, but I just think that alot of this sounds very suspicious.

Seems like Mr. Fremaux needs to read this woman's account.

I do find the private varnish-related bits a bit hard to believe.

The only thing that makes me wonder about these stories is the simple fact that I have never encountered anything like this on Amtrak. Service hasn't always been stellar; some employees have simply come across the wrong way, communications during a recent train evacuation on the corridor were, well, non-existant, and of course the timekeeping issues are legendary.

But I've never encountered true animosity as is described.

Even taking the story at face value:

- Many of the complaints were the same old nonsense about diner lite being evil incarnate, and the lack of a Native American guide in the lounge. By comparison, a train cancellation gets about one sentence. Regardless of whether it saves money (we've about beat that to death), the food tastes fine to me, and fine to most other reporters once the glitches were worked out.

- Since the dining car attendants were "nice" to that other group, why weren't they "nice" to the writer? I wasn't there, but one must suspect that the writer decided (rightly or wrongly) she was being snubbed, and got "snappy" at the wait staff. Granted, a really good staff would avoid "snapping" back, but this isn't five star restaurant territory.

- Most importantly, regarding the episode at Union Station: Assume they missed their connection and Amtrak didn't have their act together (you'd think they would by now, considering how often it happens). Further assume that Amtrak insisted on sending them to lodging far outside the city. FURTHER further assume that the place was a flea bag, and they wouldn't be able to get a return trip until later in the day than they desired/needed.

I'm not entirely sure what the "right" course of action was (like others, I'd suggest getting lodging in the city), but I'm quite sure "commandeering" an Amtrak lounge and ripping stuff off the walls to use as blankets is NOT the right way to go.

There are people who make bad situations better, and people who manage to make them worse. I'm sensing that the writer was in the second group.

JPS

Well I believe her!

Sometimes when I read responses to passengers who were treated terribly, it appears that the members of this forum would rather trash the passenger who had the bad experience than place the blame where it truly belongs.

As far as them not paying for their own hotel, well why should they? Amtrak should have provided safe lodging and transportation back to CUS to catch their morning train.

Or maybe they didn't have the funds to pay for their own hotel. Since it was the last part of their vacation, maybe they didn't have any money left and had maxed out the only credit card they took with them.

Regardless, there was absolutely no excuse for this type of treatment.

I have encountered truly rude, actually beyond rude treatment from train attendants and can't understand why Amtrak allows this to continue.

This has been hashed and rehashed many, many times on this forum and these attendants continue to work on the trains.

My question is - Why in the world were those folks not all on the phone to the 800 number raising expletive deleted about how they were being treated???? That number is 24/7, and SURELY if Amtrak got a bunch of calls one after the other detailing what was happening, there would have been a call coming to Chicago demanding some appropriate action (and possibly one or more heads would have rolled)!!

Last edited by a moderator:
There seem to be enough of these horror stories floating around to the point where I believe the odd one, such as this one. I tend to believe the horror story about Chicago Union Station. The loading plans there -- compared to DB's operations in Germany -- seem totally nonsensical, which is why I would tend to believe anything people tell me about screw-ups there. OTOH, as I said previously, this story's bit where the PV patrons hogging the bar seems a bit "over the top."

Having said that, I must say that I have never encountered truly wretched service on an Amtrak train (knock wood). Even the one time in 1985 when I was on an Amtrak train which hit a stupid dump truck that was trying to beat the train to a grade crossing, bad service did not happen to me. Amtrak actually held the CL at Washington, DC two hours for our connecting passengers, myself included.

My question is - Why in the world were those folks not all on the phone to the 800 number raising expletive deleted about how there were being treated. That number is 24/7, and SURELY if they got a bunch of calls one after the other detailing what was happening, there would be a call coming to Chicago demanding some appropriate action!!
Perhaps a better idea is to call a radio talk show, or perhaps one of the local TV stations -- especially in Chicago, where the competition is legendary. Hype factor Nine, Captain!

Abject embarrassment of Amtrak management seems worth a shot in that sort of situation.

I'm not entirely sure what the "right" course of action was (like others, I'd suggest getting lodging in the city), but I'm quite sure "commandeering" an Amtrak lounge and ripping stuff off the walls to use as blankets is NOT the right way to go.

JPS
Very very well put. Every time I read that it makes me laugh!

And I might say, I'm not trying to trash the passenger. I believe that the passenger did run into some poor customer service. However much of the article seems very strange. I have ridden on Amtrak many times (including many trips through Chicago Union Station) and have never been treated like this passenger. I do know that terrible Customer Service can come when you least expect it (for me it was at a Holiday Inn Express). But some of the facts just dont add up. I do feel sorry for this customer.

Perhaps when he has time, Clearfork will share his impressions of his missed connection in Chicago. I'm not sure how he might feel about how customer service treated him, since we didn't go into that. But from what he told me, his hotel was far from a prison like atmosphere.

I find her 150% believeable!! My wife and I are in the midst of our Western vacation, which began on #7, the Empire Builder, having departed Chicago on Saturday, July 14th. After a monumental delay near Havre, MT....we did arrive in Seattle over 9 hours late! However, that's not the topic!! Over the years, I've been aware of horror stories, one after the other, regarding Amtrak travel...and, when I want to think that Amtrak has turned the corner, customer service-wise, something else bizzarre occurs!!

Again, this forum does spend a lot of time "beating up the complainer", rather than being an advocacy group for Amtrak doing their job...with whatever they have to do it with.

In this day and age, with air travel being so unpleasant(Kudos to Osama, "W", and "Homeland Security"!!)....people are looking for relief from all that crap, and increasingly using Amtrak as that alternative. Since Amtrak isn't a "discount" alternative, when folks pay good money, they have the right to be transported and be treated well. In today's world, poor customer service is intolerable, if one plans to stay in business!! On that point, there are no excuses!!

From the Florida Funnel(currently on the Oregon Coast!!)

Foodman53

I'm not "trashing" anybody; I have been accused of being the resident "gloomy gus" of this board, since I am more critical of Amtrak than many here. I'm simply noting that there are two sides to most stories, and an internet blog isn't exactly a respected travel journal. I can write a blog tomorrow about Amtrak employees whipping passengers with their belts. That doesn't mean it happened.

Just as there is a tendency among certain railfans to give Amtrak a pass and blame problems on freight railroads and congress, there is a tendency among certain other travel veterans to pass on folk tales of Amtrak (and other) horror stories.

As we anxiously sat on the corridor earlier this month on a broken down train, some bratty little kid railfan started telling everyone in the vicinity about his Amtrak-veteran horror stories, and upsetting some poor older passengers who probably believed every word of his nonsense.

When we were waiting for a delayed (a whole 15 minutes) Chief in Kansas City, an older couple in front of us started telling about the-10-hour-delayed-train-with-the-air-conditioning-broken-in-100-degree-heat . . . When they realized my friend and I didn't care and weren't paying attention, they IMMEDIATELY started telling the same story to another group a few feet away! My friend (NOT a railfan), noted that the temperature was now 120 degrees in their little story and started cracking up.

Yes, there are parts of that story that make me cringe. Amtrak forcing their own passengers to miss a train?! Yikes. There are other parts that I don't give a rat's arse about. Yes, Amtrak continues to have a never-ending "special" of chicken fried steak that nobody likes. I don't know why, and I don't care. I'll base my opinions of Amtrak on my own experiences, good and bad.

JPS

Over the years, I've been aware of horror stories, one after the other, regarding Amtrak travel...and, when I want to think that Amtrak has turned the corner, customer service-wise, something else bizzarre occurs!!
You've experienced the horror stories? Or you've heard them?

If I based all my travel plans on horror stories for ALL travel modes, I'd never leave the house. :rolleyes:

I just read all of the letters posted on that "my3cents.com" site in regard to Amtrak. And as usual with complaint letters, they tend to be rather "over exaggerated" in the details. However, I am not surprised at most of the points the lady makes in the letter pertaining to this thread. I will say this again as I have since my first days on this board as an Amtrak employee before I left to the freight sector.

Until Amtrak management is HELD FULLY ACCOUNTABLE for their actions, there will never be any improvements of major influence. Employee morale is pretty much unacceptable as has been in my tenure (at least in my crewbase but I have seen it elsewhere). There are many good employees out there on the trains and in the stations, but they too feel the pressure and negativity that trickles down from management. My file didn't have any complaint letters from passengers in it. I had an overall good employment experience at Amtrak. However, I could see the writing on the wall. It is not going to change anytime soon., Sure they are making progress in some areas, but management needs to be the primary focus. And there is nobody that is going to make me change my opinion no matter how they try. Amtrak's woes fall on its management ranks! So I have made my way to the freight sector, and the difference is surreal to me! And the first thing that stood out at the new freight railroad? The management performs business more in line of like they are supposed to!

And BTW it is necessary for me to mention this........ I realize I am attacking Amtrak management as a former "agreement covered" employee. But I haven't lost the management mindset I gained while employed as a manager at my previous employer before Amtrak. I have come across a few (the key word is "few") good management types at Amtrak! I want to be sure it is noted that there are good managers as well as good employees there. But change needs to start and continue improving from the top on down! But I can't stress enough, "let's start at the top of the ladder!!!!" I believe it when I see it!

OBS gone freight.......

PS

To those who are planning on future rail travel and first timers exploring the options of rail,

Don't let this posting make you not want to persue the idea or put a bad taste in your mouth. Get on and see for yourself whether rail travel is your "cup of tea." If it isn't what you expect, seek compensation and try again. After that, if you can't see rail travel fitting your future travel plans, at least you can depart by saying "been there, done it, and don't like it!" I routinely dealt with great passengers on my trips, and even several of those who concluded it's not for them.

As a rider on the Pere Marquette which services Holland, MI. I have never heard anything remotely of what she is saying. The person at the station is not an amtrak employee since the station is not staffed. he is a volunteer. He know so much about these train he couldnt have been that useless. As I know the crew of these trains and railfan and ride the line often i know her horror story on the holland to chicago portion could have been that bad. This also leads me to believe her other leg of the trip was over exaggerated. Not to say Amtrak's Long distance routes arent the best, but they cannot be that bad. She will be one who will never ride the train again, and this frustrates me that the ignorance and uptightness brought her a bad experience. Most of these passengers dont realize what is behind a trip like this and if your planning to take a long trip like this find a sense of adventure and make the best of what is thrown at you. It could be worse you could live in 1850 and take a wagon and get to your destination in a matter of months instead of days, and have to survive in the great outdoors.

I just read all of the letters posted on that "my3cents.com" site in regard to Amtrak. And as usual with complaint letters, they tend to be rather "over exaggerated" in the details. However, I am not surprised at most of the points the lady makes in the letter pertaining to this thread. I will say this again as I have since my first days on this board as an Amtrak employee before I left to the freight sector.
Until Amtrak management is HELD FULLY ACCOUNTABLE for their actions, there will never be any improvements of major influence.
Exact-ta-mundo! The mere fact that we are discussing Yet Another Amtrak Horror Story suggests that Amtrak management is not being held accountable for their actions.

Since I became reinterested in Amtrak travel about the time the Three Rivers came off, I think I've scanned quite a few websites, and dug through a number of public records concerning Amtrak. In that process, it seems to me that every so often, some sort of pretty well-neigh unbelievable story concerning wretched customer service on Amtrak would pop up. The story might have been in a newspaper article; sometimes, it was even in record testimony before a legislative body. Enough people were swearing that it was true to the point where even someone like myself -- a fairly skeptical member of the fourth estate -- could not regard Yet Another Amtrak Horror Story as simply not being true.

Even so, as I've posted earlier, I have quite a bit of skepticism regarding the PV patrons hanging out at the bar. I've never seen that, but I've only been on one Amtrak train that was hauling PV. Subjectively, I think we're seeing more PV moves. Or, maybe, just more PV moves being talked about. At any rate, it seems to me that if you're shelling out the cash to ride PV, you don't want to hang out with the Hoi polloi. That's why I'm skeptical. OTOH, if this person had said the first class patrons were hanging out at the bar, I would find it believable.

Stories like this do not make the task of preserving intercity passenger trains in the USA any easier. They need to stop. Yesterday.

I, unfortunately, believe every word of the story. I've been treated rudely while deadheading on Amtrak. If the weasels will treat a fellow railroader rudely, anything is possible! Amtrak continues to be their own worst enemy.

The only thing that makes me wonder about these stories is the simple fact that I have never encountered anything like this on Amtrak. Service hasn't always been stellar; some employees have simply come across the wrong way, communications during a recent train evacuation on the corridor were, well, non-existant, and of course the timekeeping issues are legendary.
But I've never encountered true animosity as is described.

Even taking the story at face value:

- Many of the complaints were the same old nonsense about diner lite being evil incarnate, and the lack of a Native American guide in the lounge. By comparison, a train cancellation gets about one sentence. Regardless of whether it saves money (we've about beat that to death), the food tastes fine to me, and fine to most other reporters once the glitches were worked out.

- Since the dining car attendants were "nice" to that other group, why weren't they "nice" to the writer? I wasn't there, but one must suspect that the writer decided (rightly or wrongly) she was being snubbed, and got "snappy" at the wait staff. Granted, a really good staff would avoid "snapping" back, but this isn't five star restaurant territory.

- Most importantly, regarding the episode at Union Station: Assume they missed their connection and Amtrak didn't have their act together (you'd think they would by now, considering how often it happens). Further assume that Amtrak insisted on sending them to lodging far outside the city. FURTHER further assume that the place was a flea bag, and they wouldn't be able to get a return trip until later in the day than they desired/needed.

There are people who make bad situations better, and people who manage to make them worse. I'm sensing that the writer was in the second group.

JPS

Notwithstanding the ifs, ands and buts I can truthfully, and I wish I didn't have to, say that ALL of the above could have happened on today's Amtrak. Maybe a few things were blown up for attention but I promise you these things can, and do, happen. Unfortunately, this passenger saw the worst of the worst. I would have to say that there was a 90% chance of all of the above taking place. How the passenger re-acted is a personal decision that has to be done on the spot. I don't think that we would know how to re-act beforehand until we were thrown into the same situations. BTW, Slidell used to have a caretaker that would make you think he was an Amtrak employee. He would ask if you were traveling in sleeper or coach~ direct you where to stand; dictate that you had to have name tags on all your luggage and had many other directives. He was very well intentioned but I'm not sure that Amtrak was paying him more than to open and close the station at train time. Perhaps this is the situation in Michigan.

x-press, it's obvious that you have not experienced this type of behavior from Amtrak employees. Until you do, perhaps you should not attempt to discredit those of us who have.
Let's be clear, I have experienced PLENTY of nightmares on Amtrak: two cancelled trains/vacations, 6 hour late trains (yes, I know they get later), bustitutions, "rude" employees, overbooked trains, a broken down train . . . I don't dwell on them, but apparently I need to mention these things to get "street cred" around here.

We are not talking about "rude" employees. We are talking about Amtrak employees forcing people into a flithy, concentration camp-like lounge and locking them in, while verbally abusing them for much of the night. MORE importantly, we're talking about the perception that Amtrak employees are SO bad, that this wouldn't surprise us in the LEAST.

If you've experienced THAT kind of behavior on Amtrak, and apparently regularly, then you certainly have my sincere sympathy, my sincere apology for this perceived "discrediting," and my sincere shock that you would ever have anything to do with them again. Otherwise, I simply have to suspect that this story is probably exaggerated, and certainly not characteristic of a flawed, but humane in my experience Amtrak work force.

Let the horror stories continue.

My only addition to all of this:

I have no way of finding out, but I wonder if the writer of the story bothered to call Amtrak and complain??

I know how a bad experience can mushroom (it's happened to me on the train AND on the plane), but I really get tired of those who vent their spleen about any bad experience without seeking some sort of resolution with whomever(they've dealt with).

Some other random thoughts:

1) If two people who refuse to identify themselves won't allow me egress to a public parking area...I think it's call the police time!

2) So they didn't have the Native American Guides, is Amtrak or for that matter whomever you are traveling with responsible for your entertainment and enlightenment?

3) Gee if I were bustituted, I might make mention of why this happened...it's a gigantic thing, why was no further mention made of this?

4) I go through Union Station everyday(Morning and Evening), and I have heard Customer service talking to

late arriving passengers and have never, heard Amtrak talk about using a "flea bag" hotel way down in Homewood...it's always places in the immediate area. Why would you hire a bus and drive all the way to Homewood?

5) Did anyone get the feeling that pieces of this story were missing?

6) I will however, give the writer the benefit of the doubt about snarly staff, there are some of those people at Union Station in Chicago, and I like OBS Gone Freight think that management should be held accountable for these people. I just feel that there is no decent process on Amtrak's side of the passenger car that can lead to this accountability.

Wow, I let this get way too long!

Let me add my comments.

First of all, I am a very experienced Amtrak traveler , with over a hundred-thousand miles to my credit. I do not mention this to brag, but simply to validate the fact that I am very familiar with the "system" and how it works. I have traveled over every one of Amtrak's long-distance routes (first-class), most numerous times.

Everydaymatters:

When individuals like myself read "horror" stories like this lady reports , of course , we are very concerned , and honestly attempt to be as understanding as we can possibly be. At least that is the way it is with me. Sometimes we DO question certain aspects of the story, because they may not seem to make sense to us. I would not call this "trashing."-----just analysis.

First, I have been hoteled by Amtrak in Chicago due to the late arrival of my train. In fact, the one time this happened it was with train #4 , the Chief. First-class passengers we placed in the same hotel that Amtrak uses for its crews. It was not a four-star hotel , but quite adequate.

I was offered cab-fare and a meal allowance, also. It DID take a while for all of the first-class passengers to be accomodated at Union Station---that is, given the hotel vouchers and money. But the process was not too painful or lengthy and the staff attempted to be polite and caring.

If I remember correctly, within an hour I was on my way to the hotel.

The lady mentioned both the Hyatt and Westin (who evidently did have rooms available.) To my knowledge, Amtrak does not use these hotels for either their crews or passengers simply because they are much too expensive. So I understand this policy completely. Airlines most certainly do not place their crews in 4 or 5 star hotels over-nite either.

I do not know anything about the Swisshotel. It may be very expensive, too.

The lady said that she was familiar with the hotel Amtrak suggested , BUT "as a child." Well that could have been 20-30 years ago !! Times change. By now the hotel could be under new management and completely different from what she remembered. Doesn't that make sense ? Even the area where the hotel is located could have changed since she was a child.

I did not understand why she thought she would be unable to get back to Union Station until after noon , and thus miss her connection back home to Michigan.

When I was sent to my hotel, it was by cab. That is the way I believe all passengers are sent to their hotels from the station. That being the case, wouldn't she have been offered cab-fare for the return trip to the station and thus been able to arrive back there whenever she wanted to ?

Regarding the Metro Lounge:

To my knowledge, unfortunately , it closes at about 11 PM and thus would have been unavailable for the family and other passengers to use.

I do not understand WHO these "private-car passengers" were and WHERE they came from. Any private rail-cars attached to the back of an Amtrak train have NO access to the Amtrak train itself. First of all, most of these private cars are SINGLE-LEVEL. Amtrak Super-liners are double-deck and there is NO way to cross from car to car except by an UPPER level. Thus it is impossible for any private-car passenger to enter the Amtrak train. Also, tickets would be needed for the Amtrak train. Furthermore, as was mentioned, WHY would any passenger traveling in a luxurious , private rail-car WANT to enter an Amtrak train. It would not make sense.

So my question is , who were these mysterious passengers so obnoxious to the lady ??

So that is my reply to some of the comments the lady made. I have no doubt she may have encountered some rude Amtrak service staff. We all have. When this happens in my experience, I get the NAMES of these individuals and report them directly.

My intent was not to "trash" the lady who reports the story. However, there are simply parts of the story that do not make sense to me , from my own EXPERIENCE.

If anyone lives in the Chicago area, IS Homewood over 40 miles from Union Station , and what "type" of an area is it today ?

Let me add my comments.
First of all, I am a very experienced Amtrak traveler , with over a hundred-thousand miles to my credit. I do not mention this to brag, but simply to validate the fact that I am very familiar with the "system" and how it works. I have traveled over every one of Amtrak's long-distance routes (first-class), most numerous times.

Everydaymatters:

When individuals like myself read "horror" stories like this lady reports , of course , we are very concerned , and honestly attempt to be as understanding as we can possibly be. At least that is the way it is with me. Sometimes we DO question certain aspects of the story, because they may not seem to make sense to us. I would not call this "trashing."-----just analysis.

First, I have been hoteled by Amtrak in Chicago due to the late arrival of my train. In fact, the one time this happened it was with train #4 , the Chief. First-class passengers we placed in the same hotel that Amtrak uses for its crews. It was not a four-star hotel , but quite adequate.

I was offered cab-fare and a meal allowance, also. It DID take a while for all of the first-class passengers to be accomodated at Union Station---that is, given the hotel vouchers and money. But the process was not too painful or lengthy and the staff attempted to be polite and caring.

If I remember correctly, within an hour I was on my way to the hotel.

The lady mentioned both the Hyatt and Westin (who evidently did have rooms available.) To my knowledge, Amtrak does not use these hotels for either their crews or passengers simply because they are much too expensive. So I understand this policy completely. Airlines most certainly do not place their crews in 4 or 5 star hotels over-nite either.

I do not know anything about the Swisshotel. It may be very expensive, too.

The lady said that she was familiar with the hotel Amtrak suggested , BUT "as a child." Well that could have been 20-30 years ago !! Times change. By now the hotel could be under new management and completely different from what she remembered. Doesn't that make sense ? Even the area where the hotel is located could have changed since she was a child.

I did not understand why she thought she would be unable to get back to Union Station until after noon , and thus miss her connection back home to Michigan.

When I was sent to my hotel, it was by cab. That is the way I believe all passengers are sent to their hotels from the station. That being the case, wouldn't she have been offered cab-fare for the return trip to the station and thus been able to arrive back there whenever she wanted to ?

Regarding the Metro Lounge:

To my knowledge, unfortunately , it closes at about 11 PM and thus would have been unavailable for the family and other passengers to use.

I do not understand WHO these "private-car passengers" were and WHERE they came from. Any private rail-cars attached to the back of an Amtrak train have NO access to the Amtrak train itself. First of all, most of these private cars are SINGLE-LEVEL. Amtrak Super-liners are double-deck and there is NO way to cross from car to car except by an UPPER level. Thus it is impossible for any private-car passenger to enter the Amtrak train. Also, tickets would be needed for the Amtrak train. Furthermore, as was mentioned, WHY would any passenger traveling in a luxurious , private rail-car WANT to enter an Amtrak train. It would not make sense.

So my question is , who were these mysterious passengers so obnoxious to the lady ??

So that is my reply to some of the comments the lady made. I have no doubt she may have encountered some rude Amtrak service staff. We all have. When this happens in my experience, I get the NAMES of these individuals and report them directly.

My intent was not to "trash" the lady who reports the story. However, there are simply parts of the story that do not make sense to me , from my own EXPERIENCE.

If anyone lives in the Chicago area, IS Homewood over 40 miles from Union Station , and what "type" of an area is it today ?
According to Mapquest, Homewood is 26.5 miles from downtown Chicago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back