VIA dining service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danasgoodstuff

OBS Chief
Last time I rode the Canadian in coach from Saskatoon to Van in 2017 I think I bought one breakfast in the dinner and got a free diner because we were so late (10 hours IIRC). I made do with cafe car and snacks I brought for the rest of it.

There was a world-class train manager on the Canadian named Zane Wozney(Sp). I encountered him on my first trip with the silver and blue class back in 1991. I decided I wanted a cheeseburger so I walked up to the skyline car to purchase and eat one. It was around 2 p.m. After I purchased my food I sat at one of the tables in the skyline car to eat. I assumed that it was ok to do so because the car was somewhat set up like a snack car on Amtrak. The attendant came out and scolded me for sitting there. Apparently, the tables were only to be used for meal services.

I was irritated by the attendant's tone and walked back 10 cars to eat the cheeseburger in my section. Zane walked by moments later and noticed that I wasn't happy. I was surprised he even noticed because by that time I was enjoying the cheeseburger. He asked what was wrong. I told him nothing because most service managers on Amtrak would automatically take the employee's side since they all worked together. I was not interested in antagonizing the crew since I would have the same crew on my return from Vancouver. Zane sat down in the seat across from me and insisted I explain what was going on. I explained, and surprisingly he expressed displeasure with the skyline car attendant's actions and set off to correct him.

On the return trip, Zane was surprised to see me. He greeted me enthusiastically. We talked and he found out I was a railfan. The next morning I was riding in the park car. Zane came by and suggested I walk up to the first car because the conductor had some employee timetables for me. I cheerfully walked up to the first car. I thought employee timetables would be a great souvenir. When I got up there, the conductor asked me if I would like to ride in the engine. I was so amazed I could hardly say yes. Moments later the trap was open and I was walking along the side to the engines and climbed up to meet the engineer and fireman. I got to ride for three hours all the way to Jasper. He's retired now so I don't think anyone will get in trouble for this.

Zane walked by moments later and noticed that I wasn't happy. I was surprised he even noticed because by that time I was enjoying the cheeseburger. He asked what was wrong. I told him nothing because most service managers on Amtrak would automatically take the employee's side since they all worked together. I was not interested in antagonizing the crew since I would have the same crew on my return from Vancouver. Zane sat down in the seat across from me and insisted I explain what was going on. I explained, and surprisingly he expressed displeasure with the skyline car attendant's actions and set off to correct him.
I rest my case on the positive impact empowered, line management onboard like VIA's Train Service Managers can have on OBS consistency and quality.

I rest my case on the positive impact empowered, line management onboard like VIA's Train Service Managers can have on OBS consistency and quality.
Your "...can have...", of course, leaves room for the (perhaps remote) possibility of no impact or negative impact on OBS consistency.

Back