VIA New Corridor Trains - 2021 Update

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

By “delivered”, do they mean it’s in Toronto? Seems awfully quick to get there.
But they look super nice, I didn’t realize the picture was real at first. I much prefer VIA’s cab over Amtraks.
My interpretation is that it’s just now finished at Siemens’ factory in Sacramento, and is/will be en route to Toronto. Granted, I may be wrong, but some context from VIA would be nice to clarify.

If they come through Michigan to get to the corridor, I know I’ll be heading out to see them.

Reactions: Cal

Urban Sky

Service Attendant
AU Supporter
My interpretation is that it’s just now finished at Siemens’ factory in Sacramento, and is/will be en route to Toronto. Granted, I may be wrong, but some context from VIA would be nice to clarify.

If they come through Michigan to get to the corridor, I know I’ll be heading out to see them.
From a different forum:
The VIA set has departed Turner Illinois on Sept 28 0156 am.

Turner is a control point (CP) where Union Pacific's ex-Chicago & North Western main line to Omaha crosses the Canadian National's single track Elgin, Joliet & Eastern in West Chicago.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member

SubwayNut

Conductor
Really wish I could have gotten some photos of these two trainsets rolling on the CN line that's right near my house. Sounds like it was the middle of the night so I didn't miss much. Would love if there was an easy way to track these passenger equipment moves.

nullptr

Train Attendant
Looks like those photos were part of a press event in Ottawa. There is a video of the beginning of the event here (it starts about 10 min in)

Most of the speeches are what you expect, thanking everyone involved. They answered questions at the end though, and some of the questions were a bit pointed. (They were also mostly in french, and my french is a bit rusty so I might have missed some details.)

One was about how were they going to prevent vehicle issues like were seen with some of the o-train rolling stock, the answer being that they'll be testing this trainset for almost year to try and discover and fix any issue.

Another asked if these trainsets positioned Via to meet zero emission mandates. The answer was that they are Teir 4 engines so they are more efficient than what they are replacing. And they can be "electrified" as a part of the TGF (high frequency train service being planned) but no real explanation of what "electrified" entails.

And finally a question about Via choosing TGF over TGV, more explanation here . No real answer beyond stating their still in the planning stage. There were some planning documents the press in Quebec got a hold of recently that stated Montreal-Toronto was the best high speed rail pair in North America outside of the northeastern US, which is what I'm assuming prompted this question.

If anyone's french is better than mine feel free to correct me (it's no a high bar).