VIA Preference 2.0 (Probable Devaluation)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
https://www.viapreference.com/en/pr...m_term=en&utm_content=New_VP_terms_conditions
There are all sorts of issues in this - it looks like by going to a revenue-based system they garfed things up with taxes. There's the usual PR drivel about program improvements (the only real improvement is immediately transitioning folks to higher status once they reach the requirements...you know, something that didn't require an overhaul), but it looks like this is close to a carbon-copy of AGR 2.0 in practical terms.

https://www.viapreference.com/en/pr...m_term=en&utm_content=New_VP_terms_conditions
There are all sorts of issues in this - it looks like by going to a revenue-based system they garfed things up with taxes. There's the usual PR drivel about program improvements (the only real improvement is immediately transitioning folks to higher status once they reach the requirements...you know, something that didn't require an overhaul), but it looks like this is close to a carbon-copy of AGR 2.0 in practical terms.
I just want them to keep the Privilege 20% coupon for the Canadian. As far as the rest goes, I do not much care.

I do plan in cashing in some points for a one-way Toronto Vancouver on the current plan before March 25th so I do not have to pay Ontario provincial taxes on it (which are quite stiff).

I just want them to keep the Privilege 20% coupon for the Canadian. As far as the rest goes, I do not much care.

I do plan in cashing in some points for a one-way Toronto Vancouver on the current plan before March 25th so I do not have to pay Ontario provincial taxes on it (which are quite stiff).
Remember, if you do Vancouver to Toronto you don't pay the Provincial Tax, since Ontario charges it and BC doesnt!

Remember, if you do Vancouver to Toronto you don't pay the Provincial Tax, since Ontario charges it and BC doesnt!
Yeah, my plan for this year is to go Vancouver-Toronto on my own dime and redeem an award for Toronto-Vancouver before the new program kicks in on March 25th.

I usually go one way VIA and the other Amtrak but plan on doing both ways VIA this time. I have enough VIA points for one way and I am starting to get really concerned the center sill/buffer car issue may signal the end of the line for this last Budd streamliner.

Last edited:
No...book now. They're pretty clear about being able to cancel out later.
Well, I know the trip and the dates, so I can book anytime. Both ways on VIA this time because I really am concerned about the longevity of their Budd fleet, I have the points, and Amtrak sucks in comparison. Which version of the program is more advantageous us really the only variable. With that said, I'll probably book the award segment (Toronto-Vancouver) under the current program. Until the coupon situation clarifies I'll hold off on booking the paid portion (Vancouver-Toronto). I want that 20% off coupon.

Well, I know the trip and the dates, so I can book anytime. Both ways on VIA this time because I really am concerned about the longevity of their Budd fleet, I have the points, and Amtrak sucks in comparison. Which version of the program is more advantageous us really the only variable. With that said, I'll probably book the award segment (Toronto-Vancouver) under the current program. Until the coupon situation clarifies I'll hold off on booking the paid portion (Vancouver-Toronto). I want that 20% off coupon.
You might call in and ask (regarding the 20% coupon)?

VIA has delayed the impending changes to their program:

View attachment 32599

No real details other than "more to come" in the near future.
The program change is dependent on the implementation of the replacement of their ReserVIA reservations system. Given the relatively last minute announcement, it sounds they ran into issues in the final testing stages of that implementation and cancelled it.

They're probably trying to figure out revised implementation timelines right now. BTW, this is the second time they've delayed it, but this one was much closer to their implementation date.

In other news, I did book my Toronto-Vancouver leg on points prior to the first implementation date and VIA is still issuing the 20% off coupons for elite status.

Some parts of the new program are already in effect, such as dropping the segment requirement for Premier status. I made Premier this year on spend alone since the the return on my March/April round trip was credited to 2022 along with my usual November one-way. That put me over the $1999 CAD spend threshold for Premier but I only had 2 qualifying segments.

I'd heard a rumor this might happen, but there was no corroboration.

[I've been doing a major points dump - Winnipeg-Churchill-Winnipeg-Vancouver this summer]

The program change is dependent on the implementation of the replacement of their ReserVIA reservations system. Given the relatively last minute announcement, it sounds they ran into issues in the final testing stages of that implementation and cancelled it.

They're probably trying to figure out revised implementation timelines right now. BTW, this is the second time they've delayed it, but this one was much closer to their implementation date.

In other news, I did book my Toronto-Vancouver leg on points prior to the first implementation date and VIA is still issuing the 20% off coupons for elite status.

Some parts of the new program are already in effect, such as dropping the segment requirement for Premier status. I made Premier this year on spend alone since the the return on my March/April round trip was credited to 2022 along with my usual November one-way. That put me over the $1999 CAD spend threshold for Premier but I only had 2 qualifying segments.
Funny we only took one trip on The Canadian from Toronto To Jasper in May of 2023 . We redeemed our free points coupons last month and to our suprise we are Premier status now .

I also just figured out today I have a boatload of points from only two trips; however, being the genius I am this dawned on me four hours after booking a significant trip. Happily I'm within the 24 hours, and was able to rebook at a $300 savings (about 20% off!), pretty cool for points I didn't know I had.

Still waiting! Just called today and VIA has no info on when the new rules role out... or what they will be as far as point value goes.

Still waiting! Just called today and VIA has no info on when the new rules role out... or what they will be as far as point value goes.
Since loyalty program benefits have a 99% chance of being more difficult to attain and/or less valuable to use after every "improvement" I'd say they can take as many years/decades as they please. :cool:

*That is not to say there is never a way to benefit from major program changes; just that using the new program the same way as the old program is almost always a net negative experience.

Since loyalty program benefits have a 99% chance of being more difficult to attain and/or less valuable to use after every "improvement" I'd say they can take as many years/decades as they please. :cool:

*That is not to say there is never a way to benefit from major program changes; just that using the new program the same way as the old program is almost always a net negative experience.
Of course, this is generally true, but there is one little improvement nugget that MIGHT prove extremely helpful in the short term FOR ME... Under the new rules you can attain an elite status the day after you qualify rather than waiting for the new program year for it to take effect.

New and improved, eh? And just got the email that a new and improved reservation system is rolling out. I wonder when Amtrak will start charging for checked baggage. You know it's coming.
As I've snarkily noted over on FlyerTalk, every time I see one of these sets of disastrous "improvements" phrased as "providing a better customer experience" or "better serving our customers", I very much want to see whomever spearheaded it "from on high" be asked "If your plan was to better serve your customers, how does it feel to be a miserable failure?"

New and improved, eh? And just got the email that a new and improved reservation system is rolling out. I wonder when Amtrak will start charging for checked baggage. You know it's coming.
One improvement they noted was the selection of particular seats. It would be great if that included particular sleeping accommodation's...

Back