VIA: Temporary Covid-19 .PDF Timetable Posted

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
VIA has posted a temporary .PDF Timetable on their web page showing what services are still running....and very little during the Covid-19 Pandemic.

In the corridor for example...there's two trains a day each way between Toronto and Montreal.....two between Toronto and Ottawa, Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa and Toronto-Windsor....along with one train to/from Sarnia.

Business Class is discontinued but a complementary snack and bottled water is being offered to all coach passengers

The remote services to Jonquiere/Senneterre, White River and Churchill are also still running. Everything else is shown as 'Suspended until further notice'

>>>>>>

Some inter-provincial travel is even being restricted. For example...except for essential trucking the border between my province (Nova Scotia) and New Brunswick is closed and if you cross you must self-isolate for 14 days. The Newfoundland Ferry has similar restrictions.

Quebec is even setting up controls between regions within the province and those travelling on VIA's remote service to Jonquiere and Seneterre may now find their travel restricted.

Stay Home....Stay Safe!

Last edited:

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
According to the Via website today The Canadian is only suspended until May 1.
And VIA has just updated their web page (as of 3:30 today 3/28) to include that all passengers will now be checked before boarding as per the Prime Minister's address today on domestic travel:

"A series of health checks will be conducted by VIA Rail employees with customers before boarding our trains. This will include asking simple health question and looking for visible signs of illness prior to boarding.

Passengers will be denied boarding our trains if:

• They are experiencing symptoms similar to a cold or flu (fever, cough, difficulty breathing)​
    • They have been denied boarding for travel in the last 14 days due to medical reasons related to COVID-19"​

Last edited:

willem

Conductor
Have you heard anything about a possible extension of the coupons Via issues to status members in its reward program? They normally expire, IINM, at the end of April.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
Have you heard anything about a possible extension of the coupons Via issues to status members in its reward program? They normally expire, IINM, at the end of April.
I was wondering about that too. I have one left.....also expiring the end of April. I'm going to call VIA but I'm guessing they will be extended. (VIA is very good about things like that)

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
In the corridor for example...there's two trains a day each way between Toronto and Montreal.....two between Toronto and Ottawa, Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa and Toronto-Windsor....along with one train to/from Sarnia.
Boy that didn't take long to change!

Starting Tuesday Mar 31 there will now only be one round-trip per day between corridor city pairs.

Last edited:

jiml

Conductor
Interestingly, they actually didn't start this on the 23rd. Train 50, which doubles as my alarm clock, ran until mid-week. They've certainly tapered off since then, but not all-at-once as indicated in the timetable. Going from 68 sets of VIA horns a day to 8 (and now 4) is an adjustment, although freight has really picked up in the last 2 days.

Urban Sky

Train Attendant
Interestingly, they actually didn't start this on the 23rd. Train 50, which doubles as my alarm clock, ran until mid-week.
Train 50 has not operated since Monday, March 16, and train 60 hasn’t since Saturday, March 21, as the first service reduction in the Corridor (to approximately 50% of normal operations) took effect Tuesday, March 17, and the second service reduction (to 2 train pairs per day on most Corridor routes) took effect on Monday, March 23...

Last edited:

jiml

Conductor
Train 50 has not operated since Monday, March 16, and train 60 hasn’t since Saturday, March 21, as the the first service reduction in the Corridor (to approximately 50% of normal operations) took effect Tuesday, March 17 and the second service reduction (to 2 trains per day on most Corridor routes) took effect on Monday, March 23...
Are (were) 50 and 60 no longer the same train, separated at Brockville?

Urban Sky

Train Attendant
Are (were) 50 and 60 no longer the same train, separated at Brockville?
Whenever both trains operate, they operate as the same train, which is why I also mentioned train 60 when we were talking about train 50...

Last edited:

Anderson

Conductor
Looking at the latest schedule, it's 1x/day on the "main" routes in the Corridor (all areas covered), 1x/week on Sudbury-White River and the Quebec routes (with the Quebec routes having a strange Friday out/Sunday back schedule vs Sat out/Sun back on Sudbury-White River). And it's business as usual on the Hudson Bay.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
Looking at the latest schedule, it's 1x/day on the "main" routes in the Corridor (all areas covered)

Yes.....see my post above of March 29.

1x/week on Sudbury-White River and the Quebec routes (with the Quebec routes having a strange Friday out/Sunday back schedule vs Sat out/Sun back on Sudbury-White River). And it's business as usual on the Hudson Bay.

Not strange at all for the Quebec routes to Jonquiere and Senneterre. It's been like that for years and allows those using the service a weekend at their camp or cabin in the woods with a Friday afternoon departure and a Sunday evening return. Look at the packed parking lot on a Friday at the Riviere-a-Pierre station in my post here:

Personally....I'd love to be at a cabin in the woods right now and I'd be staying longer than just a weekend!

willem

Conductor
Have you heard anything about a possible extension of the coupons Via issues to status members in its reward program?
I was wondering about that too. I have one left.....also expiring the end of April. I'm going to call VIA but I'm guessing they will be extended. (VIA is very good about things like that)
I called; the rep said there are no extensions. If anyone hears something different, please post an update here.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
I called; the rep said there are no extensions. If anyone hears something different, please post an update here.
Cashed mine in yesterday for the points value. My travel this year (2019-20) easily met the requirement to retain status so I'll get new coupons beginning on May 1

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
The Ocean is now shown as cancelled “until further notice” on the VIA Travel Advisory of Apr 16:

…….but the Canadian is shown as resuming on June 1 (I'd keep checking though!)

The Quebec-New Brunswick Border is closed as well as the border with Nova Scotia so I guess it's conceivable an Ocean passenger (if it were running) would have to detrain in Campbellton and self isolate for 14 days.....but you're not suppose to be travelling anyway!! (there are exemptions for essential workers crossing the New Brunswick border)

And it seems to be working. New Brunswick has a population of 750,000. There are currently 117 Covid cases in the Province. There have been 0 deaths and 83 have recovered!

jiml

Conductor
If the shutdown continues much longer, I'm not sure the same VIA Rail will emerge when things return to "normal". Of course the same could be said for Amtrak.:confused:

jiml

Conductor
I was at my storage unit today (which backs onto the main line). It was nice to see westbound VIA #63 go screaming by on schedule. It's really quiet around here without the daily parade. :confused: