VIA tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed that very,very few people tip the servers on VIA's dining cars. I've even got a few glares from fellow diners when I leave my tip. I don't know about the attendants for obvious reasons. Have others noticed the same thing or am I just imagining it?

I tip in the dining car on both VIA and Amtrak, based on quality of service. Same for sleeping car attendants. Just because meals are included doesn't mean a gratuity is. However, like anywhere else, bad service = reduced or no tip. Like Amtrak, VIA personnel are unionized and reasonably well-paid when compared to restaurant employees, for example, who depend on tips as part of their income. My only thought on you getting glares would be if other diners were European or others from where tipping is not part of the culture.

When I rode VIA and I would leave a few coins (love the $1 & $2 coins in Canada... YESSS I know what they are called) I would, at least 50% of the time hear a "Oh do they want us to tip them?" from across the table.

I find it less necessary on VIA as the employees seem to provide the exact same service (good or bad) no matter how you tip. On Amtrak I've gotten better service on following meals (more refills... table by myself, special order requests, even extra food) after tipping and being nice in the diner. I'm not saying that's right or wrong... but if a few dollars gets me better service.. I'll pay it.

Yes, OBS staff on VIA (and Amtrak) are paid a (barely) living wage with benefits. We should celebrate that, and collectively work toward a time when everyone can say the same.

But please don't think those who work on trains (or planes, or cruise ships) serving the public food and performing other duties to make them comfortable are getting "wealthy" in those jobs. It's not easy work, they have to put up with the petty whims of both management and the public, and they get very little sleep. There really is no reason for anyone to be jealous or begrudge them a decent lifestyle.

So if you can afford to, would it really be a problem to say thanks with a few bucks during or at the end of your journey? Granted, if you encounter a lazy, incompetent, uncaring employee this would not apply but in most other cases, it should.

I tip on VIA, basically the same as I tip on Amtrak.

It seems to me fewer and fewer people are, though. On my recent trip in November, which was largely populated by Canadian and American passengers, I was often the only person at my table leaving a tip.

I tip on VIA, basically the same as I tip on Amtrak.

It seems to me fewer and fewer people are, though. On my recent trip in November, which was largely populated by Canadian and American passengers, I was often the only person at my table leaving a tip.

I rode #1 all the way in 2017. Most of the people we sat with in the diner were USA or Canadian citizens; a minority were part of European tour groups.

Very few diners, no matter where they were from, left tips for wait staff. When I tipped, there was at best some unflattering looks, and also a couple of verbal disagreements. It seemed like they didn't want me to tip because it made them look cheap.

Part of the change in tipping, I think, has to do with the fact that meals are included for sleeping car pax. If you don't get a check 20% of zero is zero.

I rode #1 all the way in 2017. Most of the people we sat with in the diner were USA or Canadian citizens; a minority were part of European tour groups.

Very few diners, no matter where they were from, left tips for wait staff. When I tipped, there was at best some unflattering looks, and also a couple of verbal disagreements. It seemed like they didn't want me to tip because it made them look cheap.

Part of the change in tipping, I think, has to do with the fact that meals are included for sleeping car pax. If you don't get a check 20% of zero is zero.
I noticed some of the same mentality on Amtrak. It made me want to be the example. I was open to all questions about tipping and if there were questions or bad ideas, I did what I could to help promote a good tipping attitude.

I traveled on the Canadian in Dec. 2011. I tipped at each meal, but I noticed that some passengers tipped halfway through the trip and at the end. A large majority of the passengers on my train were Canadian, although I recall sitting with a family from China who were visiting their daughter who was attending college in Canada. The parents spoke no English, but the daughter did a great job translating and we had an enjoyable dinner. I do not recall how they tipped.

I believe that among U.S. hotel and restaurant employees, Canadians have a reputation of being very poor tippers although I think it has improved somewhat over the years. That was certainly true when I worked in hotels in the U.S. years ago.

I recommend everyone defending the institutionalized outsourcing of the responsibility for paying service staff (from the employer of said staff onto their customers) a visit to Japan, where they only scratch their heads about tipping as it is generally regarded as an insult, because it implies that you were surprised about the server’s ability to provide you with excellent service. It’s a bit like commending a taxi driver for not having caused an accident while transporting you...

Last edited:
As I commented in another thread a while ago, as a Brit I find the American custom of tipping somewhat annoying, however I do understand that certain jobs are paid at a rate which assumes income will be made up by tips. The question is therefore how do I as the consumer know what those jobs are ?

Just because someone is providing a direct service to me does not on its own merit a tip - I would consider that everyone should do their jobs to a reasonable standard. If I tip the person directly dealing with me, should I also tip the backroom employee who is dealing with accounting matters for that operation - for all I know they may well be on similar rates of pay. This is obviously a rather silly observation but it illustrates my general feelings about tipping.

Back to the original question about tipping on VIA, I did tip my sleeping car attendant on the Canadian after she had gone far above her mandate when she helped me find a Greyhound service out of Edmonton when I bailed out because of the lateness of the train. Her genuine surprise at receiving my tip led me to believe that it was not that frequent an occurence.

Despite my above comments I did leave tips in the dining car on VIA and I generally also do on Amtrak (probably just to fit in) but would definitely not do so if attention was below what I would call reasonable.

I would never tip in advance, I do not believe in bribes !!

Back to the original question about tipping on VIA, I did tip my sleeping car attendant on the Canadian after she had gone far above her mandate when she helped me find a Greyhound service out of Edmonton when I bailed out because of the lateness of the train. Her genuine surprise at receiving my tip led me to believe that it was not that frequent an occurence.

Despite my above comments I did leave tips in the dining car on VIA and I generally also do on Amtrak (probably just to fit in) but would definitely not do so if attention was below what I would call reasonable.
I’m pretty sure that VIA used to have a “no tip expected” policy; therefore, I’m surprised they now provide suggested amounts.

On the other hand they’ve recently replaced their paper-receipt-with-credit-card-number-imprint receipts on the Corridor, Ocean and a few other routes through an entirely electronic system and the latter doesn’t seem to have any function to add a tip (whereas the paper slips had a field for gratuities)...

On my recent trip on the Ocean the attendant met me at the car door by name, asked if I needed help with my luggage, 'no' as I only had a small roll-aboard.....then dropped by the room as we departed to introduce himself and see if I needed anything....and again 'no'. He then asked if I would look after the car doors in an emergency....then showed me their operation. This is standard procedure on VIA and someone is designated in every car.

I did not see any reason to 'Tip' the attendant. I did leave a tip in the diner after breakfast (my 3rd meal aboard) for the excellent service and great interaction with the servers.

Tipping in the diner on a long range train is one thing if you are a sleeper passenger and the meals comes with the price. Even though you paid for the meals, it’s easier forking over a tip, than if you are riding coach and having to absorb those eye blinking prices. A couple of meals cost half the price of the fare.

Just like your meals during a road trip are going to cost you at least half the price of your fuel&accommodation costs, especially when traveling with your family...
You must eat in better places.;) Generally on a driving trip I budget about the same daily for food and fuel. Two or three tanks of gas equates to about the same number of meals, and this works on both sides of the border since both cost less in the US. Accommodation can be all over the place depending on where you're going. Our upcoming trip features stopovers for as low as $65 USD a night, but I've encountered some $300+ roadside hotels that call for the judicious use of hotel points.

As I commented in another thread a while ago, as a Brit I find the American custom of tipping somewhat annoying, however I do understand that certain jobs are paid at a rate which assumes income will be made up by tips.

I would never tip in advance, I do not believe in bribes !!
I agree with you!

Many point out that Amtrak (and I assume VIA) employees get paid “an above average wage”, so why tip. So how about a doorman, hairdresser or your housecleaning person. They earn “a decent wage”, so why tip them? My cleaning person gets $30 per hour (I wish I could earn that much!), but I still tip her.

I’m glad I’m not the only one to call it a bribe!

Many point out that Amtrak (and I assume VIA) employees get paid “an above average wage”, so why tip. So how about a doorman, hairdresser or your housecleaning person. They earn “a decent wage”, so why tip them? My cleaning person gets $30 per hour (I wish I could earn that much!), but I still tip her.
Amtrak OBS receive some of the highest salaries for front line service staff along with benefits most blue collar workers haven't seen in decades. Good for them, but in all likelihood Amtrak staff already earn more in salary and compensation than the majority of their customers, so if you tip your boss at work then tipping on Amtrak will make you feel right at home. I was raised to tip people who wouldn't make enough to earn a living wage otherwise. I was not raised with a doorman, hairdresser, or housemaid, so I have no idea how much they earn or if tipping makes sense for them.

Last edited:
Amtrak OBS receive some of the highest salaries for front line service staff along with benefits most blue collar workers haven't seen in decades. Good for them, but in all likelihood Amtrak staff already earn more in salary and compensation than the majority of their customers, so if you tip your boss at work then tipping on Amtrak will make you feel right at home. I was raised to tip people who wouldn't make enough to earn a living wage otherwise. I was not raised with a doorman, hairdresser, or housemaid, so I have no idea how much they earn or if tipping makes sense for them.

Tipping is not based on a subjective standard of how much people make, it’s based on their occupation in a service business. Waiters in a high end restaurant can make a lot of money, but you still tip them customarily. When I see sleeping car passengers not tip the dining car personnel, it reveals them to be a classless cheapskate. If you can’t afford to tip, then don’t go to the diner. Tipping the car attendant is something I do if the service is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see that I am not alone in my "general" feelings about tipping. Whilst I have no problem in "rewarding" those that have specifically gone beyond as did my VIA sleeper attendant I do have difficulty in reconciling my tipping to those that are simply doing their jobs unless I know that their low pay rates assume income will be topped up by tips.

As I previously stated I will not tip in advance, nor will I tip to "ensure" attention does not fall during subsequent interactions. I would rather use the "negative tip" situation - that is make a complaint if attention is NOT reasonable. I qualify this however by saying that I am not particularly demanding in my requirements.

Tipping is not based on a subjective standard of how much people make, it’s based on their occupation in a service business. Waiters in a high end restaurant can make a lot of money, but you still tip them customarily. When I see sleeping car passengers not tip the dining car personnel, it reveals them to be a classless cheapskate. If you can’t afford to tip, then don’t go to the diner. Tipping the car attendant is something I do if the service is good.
Agreed!

When on a trip (or even on a date at home), you have a choice to go out to dinner at McDonalds, Joe’s Cafe or Chez Ritz. My guess is that the server working at Chez Ritz probably makes more than the server at Joe’s Cafe. That means I should not tip at Chez Ritz - correct?

Agreed!

When on a trip (or even on a date at home), you have a choice to go out to dinner at McDonalds, Joe’s Cafe or Chez Ritz. My guess is that the server working at Chez Ritz probably makes more than the server at Joe’s Cafe. That means I should not tip at Chez Ritz - correct?
The real question is why does one tip at "Chez Ritz" but NOT at McDonalds ? I have personally never seen anyone tip at McDonalds.

There seems to be no logic in that as those working in McD's very often seem to be under as much (if not more) pressure than those in your average restaurant.

I'm not criticising, I just find the whole tipping culture difficult to reconcile.

Maybe not at McDonald’s, but I see many people tip at Joe’s Cafe.

I agree with you on the tipping culture. I’m only pointing out that people think they should tip at Joe’s Cafe, because they make less than at Chez Ritz. Thus, if they say they shouldn’t tip on Amtrak or VIA, they are also saying that they should not tip at Chez Ritz because they pay their servers more than Joe’s Cafe!

Back