VIA tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," has always been a fail-safe rule when traveling. Even if you're going to be in Canada for only the length of a train trip, IMO you should go to an ATM and withdraw adequate Canadian cash to pay your Canadian tips. "But what will I then do with any leftover CDN dollars?" you might ask. Which is exactly the question your Canadian server might ask when he ponders the USD bills in his hand.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," has always been a fail-safe rule when traveling. Even if you're going to be in Canada for only the length of a train trip, IMO you should go to an ATM and withdraw adequate Canadian cash to pay your Canadian tips. "But what will I then do with any leftover CDN dollars?" you might ask. Which is exactly the question your Canadian server might ask when he ponders the USD bills in his hand.
I'd note that the OBS Crews that work the Canadian are based in Vancouver and Winnipeg, Major Internationsl Cities located close to the US Border and visited by hordes of Tourists from the US( now that most of the Pandemic Protocols have been lifted is increasing rapidly) and US and Canadian Dollars are seen on both sides of the Border.

Personally I don't like the Currency Exchanges that are located in Airports and the one that is ( is it still operating??)in the Rail Station in Vancouver, ( bad exchange Rates)but as has been said, it's easy to do currency exchanges @ Major Banks or use ATMs that are widely available.

Last edited:
An ATM alone won't be of much help with tips, unless you want to tip everyone $20.

For my grand trip - BOS to PDX to LA - I’ll be in coach and sleeper. Also going thru in Chi.Red Caps. I’ve 50s and 20s For my wallet and 5s and singles for my pocket. I’m a fairly good tipper.

I'd note that the OBS Crews that work the Canadian are based in Vancouver and Toronto, Major Internationsl Cities located close to the US Border and visited by hordes of Tourists from the US( now that most of the Pandemic Protocols have been lifted is increasing rapidly) and US and Canadian Dollars are seen on both sides of the Border.
The OBS are based in Vancouver and Winnipeg (not: Toronto), with the former operating only West of Winnipeg (Winnipeg crews operate in both directions).

Slightly off-topic but related to this:
The OBS are based in Vancouver and Winnipeg (not: Toronto), with the former operating only West of Winnipeg (Winnipeg crews operate in both directions).
We were onboard the westbound Canadian on March 14, 2020 when the crew were advised that the train would remain in Vancouver, and they would be sent back to Winnipeg by bus or plane. The train was 12 hours late, we missed and rebooked the southbound Cascades for the next day, and when we reached Pacific Central Ststion the Amtrak agent advised us that our train would be the next to last Cascades out of Vancouver. A day later we would have been stuck in Canada. Darned COVID.

An ATM alone won't be of much help with tips, unless you want to tip everyone $20.
Maybe not alone, but all one has to do is ask a store or some other vendor to change the $20. And it will be automatic if you make a small purchase. I don't think I'd be comfortable asking an American in Boston or Seattle to accept $CDN as a tip. The burden it imposes might be more than the value of the tip.

Aren't there ATM machines in a few places? A major credit card got me Euros and Forints (Hungary) with no problem. Yes, there was a fee, but I didn't have to deal with a bank.
You're right. I have found that ATM withdrawals in local currencies are usually the least expensive and allow you the most flexibility, especially if you use a bank's ATM rather than a third-party one.

Many places would be willing to break a $20 or two, though, or it's easy enough to buy something for a dollar or two and pay cash for it to break a $20.

I'd also generally expect that most tipped staff would be happy to break a larger bill for you if they have the smaller change available, at least if the position is one where a $20 is well above what an expected tip would be. For example, I'd feel comfortable asking a red cap to break a $20, give them $5 of it, and then have $15 of smaller bills available. Maybe a bit tacky, but it also allows them to get rid of some smaller bills so it might help them out a bit too.

You're right. I have found that ATM withdrawals in local currencies are usually the least expensive and allow you the most flexibility, especially if you use a bank's ATM rather than a third-party one.
Same. There's even some banks that will refund ATM fees - I keep a Charles Schwab checking account just for my travel money because they'll refund any ATM fees worldwide at the end of the month.

I'd also generally expect that most tipped staff would be happy to break a larger bill for you if they have the smaller change available, at least if the position is one where a $20 is well above what an expected tip would be. For example, I'd feel comfortable asking a red cap to break a $20, give them $5 of it, and then have $15 of smaller bills available. Maybe a bit tacky, but it also allows them to get rid of some smaller bills so it might help them out a bit too.
Respect your position, however, I would personally not pull this move. They would either most likely just get a big tip, or possibly no tip even if they did deserve one.

Many places would be willing to break a $20 or two, though, or it's easy enough to buy something for a dollar or two and pay cash for it to break a $20.

Yeah, I do this all the time specially in an Amtrak Cafe/Diner situation. Funny thing is, by the end of the journey it is likely that the net tip is larger than the note that was broken into change, but it works well and the OBS apparently are quite used to it.

Of course with the move to no cash this becomes non-viable. But then there is always an opportunity to add a tip in the credit card charge.

I always split the tip. Round up the CC to next 1 or 2 dollars and give the balance in cash. Tell staff what I am doing. IRS and companies assume no CC tip that staff got at least 15%.

I always split the tip. Round up the CC to next 1 or 2 dollars and give the balance in cash. Tell staff what I am doing. IRS and companies assume no CC tip that staff got at least 15%.
Of course for tipping on VIA what IRS does is not very relevant I would imagine.

Concerning exchanging currency in the US: I recently ended up with $20CDN and went to my bank to change it. They wanted to charge me $7 for the privilege :eek:. And this was a Canadian owned bank (TD bank) in a state (Maine) that sees a lot of Canadian visitors. I said no thanks and gave it to a friend who goes to Canada regularly.

I think tipping in US$ might be OK if you are in a place close to the border, since Canadians in those places tend to go across to the US frequently to shop as prices are usually cheaper in the US.

Concerning exchanging currency in the US: I recently ended up with $20CDN and went to my bank to change it. They wanted to charge me $7 for the privilege :eek:. And this was a Canadian owned bank (TD bank) in a state (Maine) that sees a lot of Canadian visitors. I said no thanks and gave it to a friend who goes to Canada regularly.

I think tipping in US$ might be OK if you are in a place close to the border, since Canadians in those places tend to go across to the US frequently to shop as prices are usually cheaper in the US.
Whatever inconveniences one perceives in having to deal with a foreign currency don’t disappear by insisting on tipping someone in your (rather than: his) own currency. You are just turning your problem into that of an often low-paid, over-worked and only seasonally employed worker.

In my personal view, there is only one situation where tiping in a foreign currency is acceptable and that is where the employer/business of said employee accepts payment in that currency. I have full confidence that vacationing Americans are perfectly capable of locating and operating an ATM in a foreign country, just like tourists from every single other country routinely demonstrate this ability.

In the end, getting a feeling for local money and prices is an non-negligible part of respecting and appreciating how people live in other countries. Especially if I was used to only the Greenback, I would be happy for every colourful and thoughtfully detailed bill I can bring back home as a souvenir…

Last edited:
I once helped an elderly American couple sort out a day trip while on board a train through the Rhine valley in Germany and they showed me their gratitude through a $10 (if I recall correctly) bill. I of course happily accepted, but I did ask myself what kind of attitude stops you from getting the local currency while you travel - especially when we are talking about the world's second-most important reserve currency (legal tender in 19 countries with a combined population of 447 millions), not the national currency of some obscurely small country...
If that is how you really felt then maybe you should have refused instead of carrying this with you all these years.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do," has always been a fail-safe rule when traveling. Even if you're going to be in Canada for only the length of a train trip, IMO you should go to an ATM and withdraw adequate Canadian cash to pay your Canadian tips.
Workers in Vancouver and Toronto enjoy benefits and wages a typical American will never see so I'm not sure why we're tipping them to begin with.

Tipping is not based on a subjective standard of how much people make, it’s based on their occupation in a service business.
At the end of the day tipping is based on whatever the tipper considers to be important.

As a formerly Canada-resident person who has worked in service jobs there, Canadians are much more used to seeing US$ than vice-versa. Many stores have exchange rates posted, most banks have no issue with exchanging US$, and most Canadians in a service job will take your US$ tips in stride. If you feel it’s more polite to get some Canadian cash to tip, go for it! But I can just about guarantee a Canadian service worker who relies on tips would much rather get some US$ than be stiffed.

Back