VIA tipping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet McDonald's workers would get tips if there were a tip button on a payment screen that the customer uses (haven't been to McDonald's since I was a kid with cash only; not sure how you pay with a credit card).

I worked for six years as a housekeeping supervisor, then worked a couple months in a sort of high-end (fresh seafood) fast-food service. I think hotel housekeepers do not get enough tips, while food and beverage workers are perhaps over-tipped. Housekeepers have to deal with some pretty nasty and personal stuff, yet most guests left no tip at all. But at the shellfish farm, I'd hand somebody a cooked crab for $25 and they'd pay $30 on the touch screen. All we had to do was bus the tables.

I am a generous tipper. I usually tip 20% in restaurants, put cash in the jar at food service counters, and always leave a tip in hotel rooms (for stayovers and checkouts). Our last trip on the Coast Starlight, we gave the SCA $50. I enjoy doing it.

People are less likely to tip at restaurants where you go up to a counter to order, and walk away with food and drinks a couple minutes later. I don't know why.

An obvious exception, only for some, is the lounge car on a train.

An interesting thought. At a fast food type restaurant, I don't tip. In a Lounge Car, I usually do. Really never thought about the difference.

An interesting thought. At a fast food type restaurant, I don't tip. In a Lounge Car, I usually do. Really never thought about the difference.
Perhaps that is my problem, I do think about the inconsistency in where one is "expected" or not "expected" to tip. I just can't reconcile the logic in it (there doesn't appear to be any).

This is a guess. I think it is probably customary to tip in the Lounge car because the Lounge Attendant position had its start on a train as a bartender.

Nowadays, it is more a cross between a bartender and a concession stand worker :)

I’m pretty sure that VIA used to have a “no tip expected” policy; therefore, I’m surprised they now provide suggested amounts.

On the other hand they’ve recently replaced their paper-receipt-with-credit-card-number-imprint receipts on the Corridor, Ocean and a few other routes through an entirely electronic system and the latter doesn’t seem to have any function to add a tip (whereas the paper slips had a field for gratuities)...

I've been riding VIA trains, especially the Canadian and when it ran, Super Continental, since the late 1970s. I don't recall a "no tip expected" policy or vibe on VIA trains from that point forward. Could you quote a source or two (VIA timetable, brochure, etc or perhaps a media feature)? I'm not saying you've misspoken, just that it doesn't match my experiences.

I know I've been tipping all this time on VIA (and Amtrak) even when I was younger without a lot of $$$ -- and I've witnessed plenty of others do so. It's been more recently that tipping seems to have become less common, from my personal observation.

I've been riding VIA trains, especially the Canadian and when it ran, Super Continental, since the late 1970s. I don't recall a "no tip expected" policy or vibe on VIA trains from that point forward. Could you quote a source or two (VIA timetable, brochure, etc or perhaps a media feature)? I'm not saying you've misspoken, just that it doesn't match my experiences.

I know I've been tipping all this time on VIA (and Amtrak) even when I was younger without a lot of $$$ -- and I've witnessed plenty of others do so. It's been more recently that tipping seems to have become less common, from my personal observation.
VIA’s FAQ webpage states:
AM I EXPECTED TO TIP?

Service charges are not included in the ticket price, as we believe tipping to be strictly optional. Gratuities may be offered to your onboard crew at your discretion for services provided on an individual basis.
https://www.viarail.ca/en/help/faq/useful-info

Asking for a friend...
Does anyone have any recent experience/thoughts on tipping on VIA (dining car and attendant)?

Asking for a friend...
Does anyone have any recent experience/thoughts on tipping on VIA (dining car and attendant)?
If the Crews on VIA are still providing their Great Service and Attitudes as they did before the Pandemic ( I haven't ridden since 2019) I definitely think generous tips are in order, remembering that the Canadian Loonie is worth about 75 cents versus the US $$.

Even the Attendants on Canadian "Corridor " Trains ( Windsor to Quebec City)that use Carts to serve you at your seat deserve a tip for their service.

I have always tipped good service on Amtrak in Dining Car and Sleeper. In a couple months, I will be on the Canadian going end to end, 5 days SleeperPLUS. Do the Dining Car Servers pool their tips and share a portion with the kitchen? I read that you need to tip before Winnipeg because the entire OBS crew changes, is that still true? Must tips be Canadian or would the crew member appreciate USD? Also, I read in another place, some people tip the Dining car once at the end like on a cruise. I look at a tip as a Thank You/reward for what they have done, so if they do the bare minimum I see no reason to tip.

I have always tipped good service on Amtrak in Dining Car and Sleeper. In a couple months, I will be on the Canadian going end to end, 5 days SleeperPLUS. Do the Dining Car Servers pool their tips and share a portion with the kitchen? I read that you need to tip before Winnipeg because the entire OBS crew changes, is that still true? Must tips be Canadian or would the crew member appreciate USD? Also, I read in another place, some people tip the Dining car once at the end like on a cruise. I look at a tip as a Thank You/reward for what they have done, so if they do the bare minimum I see no reason to tip.
If your trip on the Canadian is like what most of us have expirienced,, you'll receive professional service from friendly,helpful folks.Generally VIA Crews don't "Phone it in" so tipping should be based on what you feel the service provided is Worth.

The Crews do change in Winnipeg, so tipping the Diner Crew at each meal is the way to go, your SCA once before reaching Winnipeg.

The Crew Members in the Park Car and Cafes located in the Dome Cars should receive any change you get, Minimum One Dollar ( Loonie)per purchase or Service provided.

The Canadian Loonie (Dollar)varies daily but generally is worth around 75 cents vs the US Dollar, so no matter which currency you tip with, allow for that.( Candians generally don't mind getting US Dollars ).

I think most board the Canadian with rose colored glasses. As we were sitting in the siding for hours a man told me in the park car that he never rides Amtrak cause it gets delayed too much. Oh the irony.

The service I’ve experienced on VIA is pretty similar to Amtrak and I’ve tipped about the same as well. $2-5 per meal. $10-20 for the sleeper attendant if they don’t go MIA (yes I’ve had that happen on VIA as well).

I just tip after each meal, same on Amtrak. A good SCA will come by and let you know the attendants are changing at Winnipeg and thank you for riding... that’s a fine time to tip them.

I think most board the Canadian with rose colored glasses. As we were sitting in the siding for hours a man told me in the park car that he never rides Amtrak cause it gets delayed too much. Oh the irony.
Agreed. The Canadian is a lot like Amtrak but with worse time keeping, classier rolling stock, and slightly improved meals. It was nothing like the five star experience I read people describing before boarding. Some staff was better while other staff was worse. It felt like a wash with Amtrak being a better value (before Anderson).

The Canadian Loonie (Dollar)varies daily but generally is worth around 75 cents vs the US Dollar, so no matter which currency you tip with, allow for that.( Candians generally don't mind getting US Dollars ).
Even though we are only 30 or so miles from your border, I would reckon that tipping in American Dollars is as appreciated here in Montreal as tipping in Canadian Dollars (or Mexican Pesos) would be in Texas. I don’t understand why so many Americans seem to believe that people elsewhere all have a piggy bank for spare greenbacks to save for their next visit to the US…

Last edited:
Even though we are only 30 or so miles from your border, I would reckon that tipping in American Dollars is as appreciated here in Montreal as tipping in Canadian Dollars (or Mexican Pesos) would be in Texas. I don’t understand why so many Americans seem to believe that people elsewhere all have a piggy bank for spare greenbacks to save for their next visit to the US…
Having Lived in Mexico and Canada, ( my Late Wife was Canadian/we met in Mexico)and visited both Many Times, I assure you that most of the people I've met and done business with DO want US Dollars.

I don't have any problem using Loonies in Canada or Pesos in Mexico myself, but have been told by Service Workers ( including VIA) in both countries that they don't mind getting Greenbacks! YMMV

Asking for a friend...
I took the Canadian train last month and only noticed one person leave a tip at one meal. The sever I tipped at the end of one leg of the journey said she would share it with the crew.

I would not take it personally. A number of countries accept or even prefer USD so for many Americans it's not something they usually have to think about to the degree you're describing. One reason MXN and CAN are unappreciated in Texas is that Americans generally receive poor rates on physical currency exchange. This also explains why we rarely exchange currency at home before arriving abroad. Living with the world's foremost reserve currency is a double-edged sword that both helps and hurts us.

Last edited:
If your trip on the Canadian is like what most of us have expirienced,, you'll receive professional service from friendly,helpful folks.Generally VIA Crews don't "Phone it in" so tipping should be based on what you feel the service provided is Worth.

The Crews do change in Winnipeg, so tipping the Diner Crew at each meal is the way to go, your SCA once before reaching Winnipeg.

The Crew Members in the Park Car and Cafes located in the Dome Cars should receive any change you get, Minimum One Dollar ( Loonie)per purchase or Service provided.

One USA resident's thoughts . . .

On VIA or Amtrak, I tip dining car and lounge car staff following each transaction. Typically a dollar or more in the lounge car for a drink or snacks, or 20% of what a meal would cost in the diner if not included in the sleeper price.

For SCA, I tip when departing a train. The exception is The Canadian if going all the way because of the Winnipeg crew change. I make an effort to locate my SCA before we arrive in Winnipeg, tip him or her, and then tip the SCA who worked Winnipeg to either Vancouver or Toronto at the destination.

If I knew of a similar situation elsewhere on VIA or Amtrak (where there is a midpoint crew change) I'd likely do the same.

BTW, I've found OBS on VIA to be fine with USD, and staff on international trains like the Maple Leaf or Cascades fine with either US or CAN funds. I have no experience giving CAN funds as tips on other trains throughout the USA, but I'm thinking that would be viewed less favorably if only because of the rarity, and the hassle converting to US funds.

I would not take it personally. A number of countries accept or even prefer USD so for many Americans it's not something they have to think about to the degree you're describing. One reason MXN and CAN are unappreciated in Texas is that Americans generally receive poor rates on physical currency exchange. Living with the world's foremost reserve currency is a double-edged sword that both helps and hurts us in ways many people rarely consider.
I generally tend to tip in local currency unless specifically asked for some other currency. Generally I have found that I am asked for US Dollars or British Pounds or Euros in countries with relatively unstable currencies. Back in the Yeltsin days when I visited Russia I was often asked for Green Rubles.

Anyhow, bottom line is I tip in Canadian currency in Canada.

On the matter of what to do with foreign currency, I think in most countries other than the US (and remaining self imposed iron curtain countries) it is much easier to find a place that would convert currency. In the US this is true only in a few large cities.

I think in most countries other than the US (and remaining self imposed iron curtain countries) it is much easier to find a place that would convert currency. In the US this is true only in a few large cities.

Major banks, i.e. Chase, will convert foreign currency to USD.

Amtrak, I tip dining car and lounge car staff following each transaction. Typically a dollar or more in the lounge car for a drink or snacks, or 20% of what a meal would cost in the diner if not included in the sleeper price.

For SCA, I tip when departing a train. The exception is The Canadian if going all the way because of the Winnipeg crew change. I make an effort to locate my SCA before we arrive in Winnipeg, tip him or her, and then tip the SCA who worked Winnipeg to either Vancouver or Toronto at the destination.

This is my practice as well.

Having Lived in Mexico and Canada, ( my Late Wife was Canadian/we met in Mexico)and visited both Many Times, I assure you that most of the people I've met and done business with DO want US Dollars.

I don't have any problem using Loonies in Canada or Pesos in Mexico myself, but have been told by Service Workers ( including VIA) in both countries that they don't mind getting Greenbacks! YMMV
How do you tell a client who wants to show his gratitude for the services he received that you'd rather receive them in your local currency rather than in one which will inevitably cause you major hassles before you can convert it in anything useful? ... Exactly, you don't, because that would be unprofessional and might make them feel bad.

I once helped an elderly American couple sort out a day trip while on board a train through the Rhine valley in Germany and they showed me their gratitude through a $10 (if I recall correctly) bill. I of course happily accepted, but I did ask myself what kind of attitude stops you from getting the local currency while you travel - especially when we are talking about the world's second-most important reserve currency (legal tender in 19 countries with a combined population of 447 millions), not the national currency of some obscurely small country...

Back