VIA's Ocean will return on August 11 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VIA has already said when the Ocean returns it will be a hybrid mix of both Budd and Renaissance equipment. As the Ocean can no longer be turned in Halifax...

How was the consist turned before ?

Looks like a loop through the adjacent Container dock facility as near as I can see map LINK:
With the shipping by Containers on the rise no doubt the ship yard cut off this feature.

Google Maps

Other than that what did or would they do to orientate the consist. ?

I have cruised on 4 occasions porting at Halifax and looking out my balcony could see the correct consist front to rear.
Two locomotives and 15-20 cars of various configuration and then end car a round tail park skyline dome car ?
Even walked down to the station to look at the train but was told - no can do - not permitted on platform so the best
observation point was my cabin on the ship.

What a dream to travel the entire trip coast to coast !

Looks like a loop through the adjacent Container dock facility as near as I can see map LINK:
With the shipping by Containers on the rise no doubt the ship yard cut off this feature.

Google Maps

I have cruised on 4 occasions porting at Halifax and looking out my balcony could see the correct consist front to rear.
Two locomotives and 15-20 cars of various configuration and then end car a round tail park skyline dome car ?
Even walked down to the station to look at the train but was told - no can do - not permitted on platform so the best
observation point was my cabin on the ship.

What a dream to travel the entire trip coast to coast !
There was a loop around the container port that was sacrificed for more capacity. The alternative was a pretty long backup move to the nearest wye. @NS VIA Fan can give a lot more details. This is a shot of the consist parked in the station from the adjacent hotel parking lot and one can get a wider angle from the sidewalk near the harbor.
75650551_2456006947767714_4924945363741179904_n.jpg

(edit to add picture)

Last edited:

Nothing......just run it around the loop and it was properly orientated to depart west the next day. Here's the Ocean coming through the containers on the loop track.......then backing down into the station.

DSC00517.jpgDSC00518.jpgDSC00522.jpgDSC00523.jpgDSC0 Map.jpg

Here's a long Ren Ocean in the Halifax Station (just below Tim Horton's!)

X Halifax VIA Sta.jpg

VIA has already said when the Ocean returns it will be a hybrid mix of both Budd and Renaissance equipment. As the Ocean can no longer be turned in Halifax....the F40 Locomotives will be placed back to back and just run around the train to the opposite end at the station. Here's the proposed consist I've seen posted elsewhere:

2 F40s running back to back.
Ren Baggage** (North American coupler on one end)
Ren Accessible Coach
Ren Accessible Sleeper*
Ren Service/Lounge
Ren Diner
Ren Service/Lounge Car
Ren Transition (North American coupler on one end)
Budd Sleepers (up to 5)
Budd Skyline Dome***
Budd Coaches (up to 5)
Budd Baggage**

* A Renaissance Sleeper must be included in each consist as it provides the only Accessible Sleeper Accommodations

**Note the Baggage Car on each end so it will always be next to the Locomotives as the 2nd Engineer in the Cab also handles baggage duties.

*** Skyline Dome – Initially there will be no Dome as VIA has said.....

'In the current context where VIA Rail offers essential services, dome cars have limited use for the Ocean service and will not be available in order to limit interactions on board the train and ensure the safest travel experience for all. VIA Rail will continue to monitor the evolution of the pandemic closely and will, when conditions permit, review and adjust its service offering."

As a Dome was shown in the proposed consist I've seen and as noted above VIA will "review and adjust its service"........ there is still hope!
So I suppose there will no longer be a Park car in the consist? Sleeping in that car - I believe bedroom 1 where there where 2 comfortable beds on the floor - was the best I've ever had anywhere. And the lounge and dome were great.

Back