Video......first VIA #1 in 14 months.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean how it is departing Toronto Union Station?
Yes, they were previously using the Bala sub to the east and the departure is westbound. Not really a problem - just interesting, like a flashback to the past. There are a number of ways they can go, although as you know fewer than in the past.

Here is a typical departure in 2019:

Last edited:
Yes, they were previously using the Bala sub to the east and the departure is westbound. Not really a problem - just interesting, like a flashback to the past. There are a number of ways they can go, although as you know fewer than in the past.

Here is a typical departure in 2019:

The Video link you posted above also shows westbound #1 going out the west side of Union Station. It's going up the Newmarket Sub to Snider where it will head across the York and back to the Bala at Doncaster.

On all my trips on the Canadian (since the line beyond Barrie was abandoned).....we've always gone up the Newmarket Sub. The only time I've ever departed out the east side of Union was back in 2006 when the flyover was under construction at Snider. We backed (with the Park Car leading) up the Bala to Doncaster.....then reversed and continued west.

Canadian Route Thru Toronto - Copy.jpg

The Video link you posted above also shows westbound #1 going out the west side of Union Station. It's going up the Newmarket Sub to Snider where it will head across the York and back to the Bala at Doncaster.

On all my trips on the Canadian (since the line beyond Barrie was abandoned).....we've always gone up the Newmarket Sub. The only time I've ever departed out the east side of Union was back in 2006 when the flyover was under construction at Snider. We backed (with the Park Car leading) up the Bala to Doncaster.....then reversed and continued west.

View attachment 22642
You're right about the video. I should have actually watched it. My understanding was they were going to use Bala in both directions to avoid the back-up move at Snider, which fouls the freight main. There was also a past discussion that on resumption they might use CP to Parry and skip Washago northbound. It will be interesting to see which pattern they use for the resumed Northlander.

You're right about the video. I should have actually watched it. My understanding was they were going to use Bala in both directions to avoid the back-up move at Snider, which fouls the freight main. There was also a past discussion that on resumption they might use CP to Parry and skip Washago northbound. It will be interesting to see which pattern they use for the resumed Northlander.

There is just no convenient way to turn the Canadian in Toronto other than doing the 'loop' around the city. On rare occasions they've sent the consist to Bayview (Hamilton) to be turned.....but that is a 75 mile roundtrip.

Why do they need to turn it? Can't they just run it through and go around the loop and continue on?

Or why can't they use this wye that's in the top left of this picture? 1622059609496.png

Don't know. It is right at the throat of a yard and CN might not like it, also the southwest quadrant looks a mite dodgy on satellite view.

What they are doing is making a big loop around the city and going on. The problem is there is no southeast quadrant connecting track at the junction they use to head east back to the Bala Sub, so they have to pull forward of the junction, back down the northwest quadrant connecting track, the pull east towards the Bala Sub.

Last edited:
Why do they need to turn it? Can't they just run it through and go around the loop and continue on?

Or why can't they use this wye that's in the top left of this picture?

There is no need to wye the Canadian. Looping it around the city works just fine and that's the way they've done it going back 30+ years to when VIA lost the use of the loop track at the Spadina Coach Yard where Rogers Centre (SkyDome) now sits.

Only on a rare occasion has the train needed to be wyed for operational reasons and that's when they've sent it to Bayview. The wye in the map you posted is at a very busy jct with a couple of different track owners so probably difficult to get a path and again....there's really no need. This used to be a diamond crossing....but it's been reconstructed as a fly-under for VIA, GO and UP Express. CP goes over.

When the Canadian used the Newmarket Sub through Barrie all the way to Washago until the mid '90s...... it did the Loop in the opposite direction to that shown on the map I posted.

Last edited:
What they are doing is making a big loop around the city and going on. The problem is there is no southeast quadrant connecting track at the junction they use to head east back to the Bala Sub, so they have to pull forward of the junction, back down the northwest quadrant connecting track, the pull east towards the Bala Sub.

There used to be a Diamond Crossing at Snider but is now a Fly-over. This is to permit all-day GO service on the Newmarket Sub. The York Sub passing under the fly-over is CN's main east-west freight route through Toronto.

Last edited:
Thanks, didn't know the names of the subs except Bala and Newmarket right off the top of my head and too lazy to pull out my Canadian Trackside Guide.

That flyover was there the last time I rode the Canadian westbound in November 2019.

Too bad the middle of the Newmarket Sub got cut, though.

Back