Videos out the window, advice needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using a smartphone, hold it up to the window, almost touching, to block out reflections. If you are using a camera whose lens has a screw thread for filters, get a rubber lens hood of the proper size. Press the hood against the window and all reflections will be blocked out.

There are rubber lens hoods of many sizes - say 12” or so that fit various lenses - specifically window reflection. About the size of a dinner plate.

There are ones for cell phones:
2490E4E3-A28C-4D38-B64F-01907A093E8D.png

I too like to play with the trains window and reflection. [on the DownEaster]E8483C6C-926D-42D8-8460-C6694BC9EDB0.jpeg
Generally - right away - I will edit at least one photo in a series to compensate for 18% gray, color balance, artistic value, etc. it’s nice to have a descent photo editor in built.

Sadly the photos/videos taken can be only taken inside the cabin of the train.
There are no open window vestibules between cars except on charter private cars.

Shooting to avoid reflections almost has to be perpendicular or at right angles to the glass.
Using a wide-angle lens may increase the distortion - fish-eye not good
The circular polarizing filter is great in that turning the filter allows for more or less reduction of reflection

Interesting in the last couple of posts the parallel photos right up next to the window glass - - -
Just what is needed to see the consist of the train on curves of the track i.e. especially horseshoe bends !

Shooting in DOME cars is a real challenge - with reflections abounding everywhere - - -
And then there is the d-i-r-t-y windows factor !

There are no open window vestibules between cars except on charter private cars.
While it's not condoned and can result in you being kicked off, you can open the superliner door windows and shoot out of them. Simply_Railway does in every single ride he's taken in a superliner. I'd actually be curious as to how people at Amtrak view that, as I'm sure some Amtrak employees have seen his videos where he does it and I don't think hes been told to stop.

If you are Media Press Photojournalist Law Enforcement - there would/may be a license to do this - - - anything to generate sales !
Being an ordinary sort of folk as most of us are - may have to resort to bribery or being on the very good side of the Conductor and crew !

In any event sticking ones head out the window door or other opening is subject to the slings and arrows of outrageous dust and atmospherically
particles causing eye ear nose and throat maladies - even camera cell phone damage passing freight trains with whatever is not tied down.

Oh but to get that view - that poster shot - through unobstructed air - - - - - !
Sometimes I wish for a periscope to get that unique shot when an extended selfie would be troublesome.
And then there are drones - but that is another topic discussion.

===========

There are tons of anti-reflective lens hoods ... including the FLEXIBLE HOOD shown in my above post. Allows tilt up down or pan right left - and hood stays in full contact with glass
- which I doubt is optic grade.anyway.

I’d recommend a pro film/video shop that has a good assortment of lens hoods. Ask for a demo to fit your camera. Understand the gray card.

Back