Viewliner Baggage Dorm Room numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRids

Service Attendant
Hello, does anyone know what sides the even and odd rooms are in the Viewliner Baggage Dorm? In other words, if the baggage/dorm car is on the rear (as I believe it has been on The Cardinal), with the baggage area trailing, on what side are the even numbered rooms?

Hello, does anyone know what sides the even and odd rooms are in the Viewliner Baggage Dorm? In other words, if the baggage/dorm car is on the rear (as I believe it has been on The Cardinal), with the baggage area trailing, on what side are the even numbered rooms?
I traveled in the bag-dorm last summer aboard the cardinal, in room 4. We were on the left side of the train. I'll attach a little diagram.

So even rooms on the left side, odd on the right.

https://cdn2.imagearchive.com/amtra...868c5abea5bdc60c58924ea3866f6824d19d00e86b548

Thank you! This was super helpful. Sadly, when I called to change the room, they said they had to move me to the 5000 car and that would be an extra 8500 AGR points. Just to change a room number? Plus, I'm not sure what way the regular viewliner will be turned (typically they are marshalled bedrooms first, but you never know). No big deal, there are nice views on both sides and I can always use the lounge or an empty room for the eastbound trip through the New River Gorge.

Thank you! This was super helpful. Sadly, when I called to change the room, they said they had to move me to the 5000 car and that would be an extra 8500 AGR points. Just to change a room number? Plus, I'm not sure what way the regular viewliner will be turned (typically they are marshalled bedrooms first, but you never know). No big deal, there are nice views on both sides and I can always use the lounge or an empty room for the eastbound trip through the New River Gorge.
Viewliner sleepers are always positioned with the door end nearer to the dining car, or other food service car if there is no diner. That's so occupants of the H-room have easier access to food service.

Viewliner sleepers are always positioned with the door end nearer to the dining car, or other food service car if there is no diner. That's so occupants of the H-room have easier access to food service.
Also the 5000 car has been running with a Viewliner II since last summer so the rooms are all the same. Yeah not sure why they want to charge you to change rooms. Normally with the right agent you can get around that.

Back