Viewliner bedroom question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seajay

Service Attendant
How is the upper berth stored in a Viewliner standard bedroom? Is it folded up similar to a Superliner such that the upper set of windows would be blocked during the daytime configuration?

seajay

Seajay,

No the bed pushes straight up into the ceiling. This keeps it from blocking the upper level windows. At night it is lowered down via tracks on each wall. It simply slids up and down the track without any tilting what so ever.

You can check out a few pictures that I took showing the room. Viewliner has posted the pictures on his website. Although you can't really see the upper bed, you can see the tracks for it. You can however see the upper level windows since the bed is in its up position.

Picture #1

Picture #2

Picture #3

Seejay, I'll try to get a good shot tomorrow on 98 or 91 for you, and post it on my site on Monday! :D

Alan, thanks for this information. I saw the pictures in the new travel guide showing the room in the daytime and nighttime configurations and when I saw the windows in the daytime picture I couldn't tell where the bed went. I wondered if they had taken it out just to take the picture. :rolleyes:

battalion51, please let me know when your new pictures are up and ready to view. I look forward to seeing those and also checking it all out personally on The Three Rivers in a couple of months.

seajay

Here you go Seejay, Room 2 in the 9811 (my room next week :D ).
Viewliner%20Upper%20Bunk%20in%20the%20down%20position.JPG

I never liked how the attendant folds the matress and stacks the pillows because the bed was never able to be pushed completely up, thus covering part of the upper windows. Couldn't the matress be flatened out and the pillows spread out?

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
Not really, the notch for the stowed position is where it goes, and stays.
There are more than one notch on that track. I am saying the be would not click in to the very top notch unless I fixed the bedding.
To my knowledge there are only two notch positions, other than down. The top one which basically allows the bed to clear the windows, the other notch about a 1/4 of the way down will block the windows.

Seajay, I hope you really enjoy your first Viewliner experience. They are so light and airy, or so it seems...those extra windows make a neat and unque effect. Different from anything else in the U.S. railroad world. I typically travel alone, sleep in the lower berth and do not really even "need" that window---but I enjoy it anyway. As I get older, I become more in touch with things like claustrophobia, so I am sure for some people it meets a genuine need.

I definitely like the second window at night. I am usually in the Upper Berth, so I'll be able to keep my window open, while my Mom has hers closed on the lower berth.

You will love the sleeper set-up,last summer I was about 260 and iI was very comphy from youngstown,ohio to nyc.My girl slept on the top and she loved it.the seats were great and the view was unbelievable.you can just sit and relax and enjoy the free beverages,and the fact that you eat free which was also good(lemon bars).I hope to someday do it again.It was worth every cent,have fun!!!!!!!

Yes, I hope you'll enjoy your Viewliner experience as well, the windows are a nice feature, where you can look out at night from either window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back