Viewliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cirdan

Engineer
Hi,

For my next trip I'm planning to go on the Silver Star or Silver Meteor.

I'm still undecided as to whether bedroom or roomette is the way to go.

There'll be two of us traveling. So we'll either have a roomette each or share a bedroom.

What's the en-suite bathroom of the bedroom like? Is it actually a separate room with a door or is there just a toilet in the main bedroom?

I don't know if I will look forward to sharing my bodily functions with my co-traveller, even if there is some sort of curtain.

The bathroom/shower is a separate room with a door. My opinion, if your travel companion is willing to pay for their own roomette then go that way, if they want to spilt the cost of a bedroom then do that.

But IMO the bathroom in the VL Bedrooms is very small and not easy to move around in.

the shower and toilet share the "room." There are AU members who think the shower is too small to be practical, but I am pretty small and it works great for me. The down side may be if there is water left in the shower head after a shower, you may get some of the leftover water on your head while using the toilet. :eek:

It's a tight squeeze of a toilet & shower combo! It's definitely workable! Check the price differences! I travel alone & take roomettes, as the walk to the restroom & shower is no big deal!!!

The main advantage that my husband and I have found with the bedroom is that two adults can share the lower bunk. When the lower bunk is open it touches the sink, so to get to the door to the aisle-way, one has to crawl over the bed (I find that very annoying).

As far as the roomette, there is no curtain. The toilet is right there in the room. My husband and I just step out in the hall when one needs to use the potty, or at night, if the person in the upper bunk needs to use the toilet, the one in the lower bunk rolls over. When both bunks are out there's very little room, just a small standing spot in front of the exit door between the toilet and the other side of the room.

I'll be taking roomettes from Huntington WV to (CVS Amtrak bus to RVR) to FTL later this month. It'll be my first time on the Silver service -- the Meteor in my case. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a tight squeeze of a toilet & shower combo! It's definitely workable! Check the price differences! I travel alone & take roomettes, as the walk to the restroom & shower is no big deal!!!
Wrong on the Viewliner. For a roomette, the shower is down the hall but the toilet is in the room and there are no others available unless you walk through the diner, through the lounge and then into one of the coaches.

Bedroom showers are really tight for those of us who ate too much in our younger days. When the roomettes are a much better deal, two beat a bedroom especially if you get them across from one another. You can both have uppers (so you can change in the AM w/o making up the bed) or both have lowers so no climbing. You can sit together during the day on either side of the train and change to the other side when the view is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the OP is concerned about privacy, in the bedrooms the toilet and shower combo are in a small separate compartment which has a door. The little sink is in the main part of the room. The bedroom also has a larger lower bunk, as said.

The upper bunks in a Viewliner aren't too claustrophobic and have their own window.

The toilet in the roomette is in the main (only) part of the roomette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back