viewliner carry ons

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
My wife and I are planning to ride the Crescent with two roomettes one direction and a bedroom the other direction. We each plan to take two bags, with everything being within the size limit of Amtrak's carry on policy. I can't remember if there is any extra baggage storage room on Viewliner sleepers (such as there is on Superliners on the lower level). Should we check some bags on either leg of the trip? How much can we comfortably stow in the rooms?

My wife and I are planning to ride the Crescent with two roomettes one direction and a bedroom the other direction. We each plan to take two bags, with everything being within the size limit of Amtrak's carry on policy. I can't remember if there is any extra baggage storage room on Viewliner sleepers (such as there is on Superliners on the lower level). Should we check some bags on either leg of the trip? How much can we comfortably stow in the rooms?
There's a ledge next to one of the seats on which I have set a decent sized rollerbag. There is also a seatbelt-type webbing strap that you can use to secure the bag so it doesn't go flying. There is also a cubbyhole that extends over the corridor. That can fold a decent sized suitcase, but it's a bit of a hassle to access it, however, your SCA probably knows the most efficient way to put something there.

The last trip my wife and I took, we had two bags, one strapped by the seat, and the other in the cubbyhole on the trip out. Getting the bag out of the cubbyhole was such a pain that on the trip back, we checked one of the bags.

The big cubby over the door can handle my largish suitcase. It can be a pain to get it up there. However, the middle detent on the upper bunk is exactly the height of the cubby, so I've take to lowering the upper, putting the suitcase on it it, then raising it to the middle detent and sliding the suitcase in.

In addition to what was mentioned, I found I can slide an overnight size suitcase under one of the seats. It doesn't interfere with changing the configuration between day and night, and when in night, I can still reach it.

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats. If you need anything more than that, then I would recommend checking some luggage and letting it go into the baggage car.

And Zephyr's suggestion of lowering the upper bed is spot on!!

With regard to the Bedroom, not only do you still have the cubbyhole above the hallway, but you can place bags on top of the shower/sink/vanity unit. One could probably fit 2 foot lockers on top of that unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a airline 22x14 suitcase that I put in the cubby. I open it so all I have to do is dig around if I need something. I also carry a good size backpack and a small cooler. There is plenty of room for those items.

My experience is that there is plenty of room in viewliner cubbies, both roomette and bedroom.

I've never had a problem with the VL either, but am usually solo on the train so the upper is available as a shelf. But I have seen people heading to a cruise, and carrying more stuff than the Howells did on the Minnow.

Viewliner roomettes have massive amounts of storage space (that upper cubby is very useful). Much better than Superliners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back