Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would HEP draw affect ride stability? Remember, these cars have not had a long ride test yet. That is what one would test first. Not how HEP is doing. A derailed bag car would be as bad as a derailed passenger car if it drags a few adjacent cars down with it, something that is wont to happen at speed.

Keep in mind that the bag cars and heritage diners are older than most people now alive so there is a pressing need to get them tested and into service first even though there is a great need for sleepers also and we rail fans of course can't wait to ride in a Virwliner II! (8400. The prototype Viewliner Diner is in service and is very nice!)

Why would HEP draw affect ride stability? Remember, these cars have not had a long ride test yet. That is what one would test first. Not how HEP is doing. A derailed bag car would be as bad as a derailed passenger car if it drags a few adjacent cars down with it, something that is wont to happen at speed.
True. Part of the issue with the delays is where the 480V cables run through the car. I can agree that ride stability is big, matter of fact it's probably the main thing to worry about.

Well, if it's true it's good news. The old baggage cars can't be replaced fast enough.

I'm guessing the suspension of the baggage cars needs to be tested separately from the suspension of the other cars, based on some stuff I've read about the design being a bit different to allow for heavier loads. Heck, they might even test an unbalanced baggage car by loading it up all on one side; I know I would.

The baggage cars and Diners are the priority. I don't recall the order of delivery, but I could see them focusing on baggage cars and Diners. I personally experienced a trip on the LSL where the diner was swapped out at the last minute and replaced by a diner lite amfleet car. The crew did a heroic job on that trip. I've read on AU of two or three more such occurrences. I am sure there are many more. I had one trip on the CS delayed in Seattle because of a bad ordered baggage car. We waited for 7 to arrive and they switched that baggage car off of 7 and put it on the CS.

Of course it would be nice to have baggage and diners for the winter of 2014 and 2015 but I know I am dreaming on when I think of that.

I know I've seen photos/reports of several trains here on the east coast where a coach or cafe has been substituted to run as a baggage car because the baggage car wasn't roadworthy after the inbound trip and there were no spares. Forward progress is good, getting even one car out on shake down runs is a huge step forward.

Unless I'm mistaken, and admittedly the definitive answer is probably somewhere in this thread, the non-baggage cars have to go to Beech Grove to get their modules installed while the baggage cars are nearly ready to run, except for the bag-dorms I don't remember the straight baggage cars having modules.

CAF is installing the modulars for the cars. They are completely re-designed. Toilets have been eliminated from the Roomettes. Public restrooms will replace them. And IINM Hialeah would install the mods. That is where ALL view liners are worked on from small to major repairs.

If one thinks about it why would Amtrak pay for cars to be built without compartments. They don't have enough compartments for 25 Sleepers and 25 Bag Dorms lying around.

The baggage cars and Diners are the priority. I don't recall the order of delivery, but I could see them focusing on baggage cars and Diners.
The planned production order that was stated last fall was that first batch would be 2 cars of each type, then one production line would build diners, baggage-dorms, then sleepers in that order while the baggage cars would be built concurrently on a second production line. The production plans may have been changed, don't know, because CAF is also way behind on delivering light rail cars to Houston. CAF appears to have underestimated the time it would take to build out the production facility and the challenges in hiring a skilled workforce in the Elmira region.

Several recent articles on the problems in delivering light rail cars to Houston:

Houston Chronicle (March 6, 2014): Revised schedule has final Metro trains arriving in January.

KTRK-TV (May 7, 2014): Spanish company's delay on rail cars may affect METRO services.

The KTRK article from last week is far more pessimistic than the March article in regards to the delivery situation for Houston. [Follow-up comment: on further re-reading of the KTRK article, I suspect that it was written by someone who does not have much knowledge or understanding of the situation and even where the CAF are being built.]

CAF may be having to make a choice on whether to build Viewliner IIs for Amtrak versus LRT cars for Houston. That decision may depend on who has the more severe penalty clauses in the contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the modules go to CAF and get installed at the factory?
Amtrak doesn't have the modules... CAF is building them and installing them in Elmira. Pictures of the Mods can be found in the first pages of this topic. IINM Amtrak will also be replacing the Mods in the current view liners with the mods that are being put in the new view liners. So extra mods will be built for the 50 VL I's and put in by Hialeah. I'm not sure if that is still the plan. Someone like Jis or Alan might know better then me on that.

Amtrak doesn't have the modules... CAF is building them and installing them in Elmira. Pictures of the Mods can be found in the first pages of this topic. IINM Amtrak will also be replacing the Mods in the current view liners with the mods that are being put in the new view liners. So extra mods will be built for the 50 VL I's and put in by Hialeah. I'm not sure if that is still the plan. Someone like Jis or Alan might know better then me on that.
The modules aren't built by CAF but rather by Railplan, a company that specializes in railcar interiors.

To my knowledge the plans is still to replace the modules in the Viewliner I cars. Not sure what the timeline is...

but it can't happen until all the Viewliner II sleepers are delivered (and they are slated to be the last cars off the assembly line.)

Also to quell any concerns here... a picture on Trainorders shows *at least* 8 Viewliner II carbodies out in the yard in Elmira... that doesn't include the cars inside the plant or elsewhere in the yard so *yes* CAF is making some progress on the Viewliner II order.

Here's some news on the Viewliner IIs from a post at trainorders:

Amtrak Special enroute from ALB to Elmira Heights, NY to pick up at least one baggage from CAF. Will return to ALB later in week. Train consist is GP40 two amfleet cars and a P42.
Here's the Amtrak special on the way to CAF to pick up new Viewliners;

CAF Special.JPG

Here's new VL Baggage Cars ready to go:

Viewliner II.JPG

The baggage cars and Diners are the priority. I don't recall the order of delivery, but I could see them focusing on baggage cars and Diners. I personally experienced a trip on the LSL where the diner was swapped out at the last minute and replaced by a diner lite amfleet car. The crew did a heroic job on that trip. I've read on AU of two or three more such occurrences. I am sure there are many more. I had one trip on the CS delayed in Seattle because of a bad ordered baggage car. We waited for 7 to arrive and they switched that baggage car off of 7 and put it on the CS.
And surely we remember the dining car whose wheels stopped rotating on the Silver Star?
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/55890-silver-star-stuck-for-more-than-12-hours/

The Heritage cars are starting to have *unusual* problems. That's a sign that they're *way* too old to keep operating.

Of course it would be nice to have baggage and diners for the winter of 2014 and 2015 but I know I am dreaming on when I think of that.
We ought to have had them last winter; it's not unreasonable to expect them this winter.

More on the special train, posted on the Amtrak group on Facebook.

MAY 12TH 2014 : An Amtrak " Special Move " came down the former D&H from Rensselaer, NY to Binghamton where it turned and went west on the ex~ ERIE . The train, consisting of # 520 & P42 # 203 and Amcafe # 43358 , was headed for the CAF factory in Elmira Heights, NY where it will pick up (20 ) NEW Baggage and Sleeping cars. The train is scheduled to return to the State capitol region on Friday May 16TH 2014
10178135_1041074509266098_5828395585681880686_n.jpg

Nice! Looks like quite a lot of cars piled up.

Is that some idiot standing in the middle of the tracks with a train coming?
Those may be flagmen for the train move.

It is nice to finally see a new photo of the equipment showing that CAF has completed the frame and put trucks on a number of units. The question is how much has the schedule stated last October slipped?

This is shaping up to be a big week for Amtrak. First Viewliner II delivery for testing. More ACS-64 units reportedly entering service real soon. Big transportation and infrastructure funding push on the Hill this week. If the RFP schedule has not slipped, the bids on the HSR trainsets are due at the end of this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The deadhead seems to be P42 #203 and an Amfleet car, and possibly one other locomotive. Sorry if this was posted hereas i don't remember where I saw it, am too happily excited. This is the real, Happy Train Day!

Is it 1 baggage car or 20 cars?

How accurate is the quote from the "Amtrak Group on Facebook"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back